Inceridle find

Crowfriend

Apr 29, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Incredible find

Once in a lifetime. It's still there. Would you take it?
DSC_0276 small.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BobTheDigger

Jul 7, 2016
SW PA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, thats amazing and a beautiful piece. I'd leave it and contact the local archaeology society. It could be significant and worth documenting. Thanks for sharing.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's probably illegal. Definitely illegal if you're not on private property. If on BLM land, don't do it.

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well...tough for me to explain, maybe you will understand...
If I were a Native American, I would understand the importance of this piece, and its rightful place as it lays...
As I am not, I believe that I also would let it alone, as I wouldn't want to get any negative joojoo from disturbing a native artifact.
I guess it doesn't matter what your heritage is, but really it's what your morals lead you to do.
Your handle is Crowfriend, so my guess is that you have more knowledge in Native American culture than I....unless you just like crows.

OP
OP
C

Crowfriend

Apr 29, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On private land. Less than a mile from a house. Nothing else was found there except bone fragments of a horse and horseshoe. Re-purposed Apache use. Mimbres classic. About 1,000 years ago. It was not hidden. I hid it. Don't want it to be in a museum.

OP
OP
C

Crowfriend

Apr 29, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I lived with a crow for four years. My knowledge is very keen, as you are, to point toward that. The "joojoo" is formidable. I've had rather bad experiences with that. Really bad. Think twice and think again.

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well if you already moved it, and you don't want it to be in a museum..... and you are showing it off here, and asking opinions as to what you should do...leads me to believe that I can't help you or give sage advice that will lead you down the right path. I also suspect others advice will fall on deaf ears, and this thread is gonna go sideway.
Good luck whatever you do, I am tapping out.

toolmanbutch

Aug 23, 2015
Upstate NY and Floridas East Coast
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Bounty Hunter
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Best advice yet. What good would it do the finder anyways? Bragging Rights, A few Bucks maybe.
Wow, thats amazing and a beautiful piece. I'd leave it and contact the local archaeology society. It could be significant and worth documenting. Thanks for sharing.

OP
OP
C

Crowfriend

Apr 29, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
and asking opinions as to what you should do...leads me to believe that I can't help you or give sage advice that will lead you down the right path.
Not asking for advice. The decision was made. Definitely wanted to show it off. Try as I might, the ego is intact. I appreciate your comments Big Wave.

GeoW

Jul 12, 2005
Coastal Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II, XP Deus, XP ORX, Nautilus DMCllBa, Troy X5 Shadow, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Outlaw
Difference between it and any other relic? It would be in my possession now. Would more than likely donate it for all to enjoy but would have no problem if someone kept it to add to their own collection.

geo

Last edited:

monsterrack

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2013
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
JMO you need to save it one way or another, because if you found it someone else will. It's a fine artifact:thumbsup:

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
JMO you need to save it one way or another, because if you found it someone else will. It's a fine artifact:thumbsup:

Yep! Better to rescue it, rather than have it found again by a youngster who plays football with it...like I say..."rescue"...sounds better than simply taking it...and I'm also a big believer in joojoo too...so idk...re-bury it?...tough call Crow...but extremely nice find, I would have difficulty in what to do with it too...GL &HH....ddf

Doubter in MD

Bronze Member
Jan 18, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Not asking for advice. The decision was made. Definitely wanted to show it off. Try as I might, the ego is intact. I appreciate your comments Big Wave.

So you just posted here to show it off and look for people who will validate your decision? Odd.

OP
OP
C

Crowfriend

Apr 29, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Show off? Yes, as previously noted.
Validate? not even slightly.
Odd that you would think that....I am curious about opinions, as noted.
Is it not the intention of every poster to show off a find and gather opinions?

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
Anything on public lands belongs to the people. The punishment for stealing artifacts is huge.
I would look into the law on private lands. Often said if one is found there is another. A possible
site.

OP
OP
C

Crowfriend

Apr 29, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The site contained nothing more. Strange as that is. If there was more, I would be in favor of notifying an arc. The bones were mule dinner for some Apaches. likely boiled it in the charred Mimbres pot. They took whatever else was there.

Doubter in MD

Bronze Member
Jan 18, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Show off? Yes, as previously noted.
Validate? not even slightly.
Odd that you would think that....I am curious about opinions, as noted.
Is it not the intention of every poster to show off a find and gather opinions?
Yes, it is. But the fact that you already took it and apparently plan to keep it makes me wonder why your first post says, "Once in a lifetime. It's still there. Would you take it?" It seemed that you wanted opinions, but obviously not. You seem to want people to agree with your decision. If you feel like you need people to agree with what you decided it is possible that you aren't completely comfortable with your decision. It is a beautiful piece. Good luck to you.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread