Is It Ok To Restore A Point/Artifact?

David Ray

Sep 5, 2016
North Central Florida
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I haven't ever had an artifact restored, but I have a couple that are really high grade points that seem to beg me every time I look at them to at least try it once. Yet, I've always felt that points should remain 'as is' because some damaged points, especially the ones that you know were damaged from impact fractures or actual use, have a certain character to them that should be left alone. These two - both close to 4 inches long - are an agate Newnan/Hillsborough and a well-made, very thin Kirk Serrated. Would you restore a point like this for your case? I don't and never would sell any of my artifacts, so that isn't even a question. So...would any of you restore a point? IMG_0606.JPG IMG_0607.JPG IMG_0609.JPG IMG_0611.JPG IMG_0600.JPG IMG_0601.JPG IMG_0602.JPG IMG_0605.JPG

Upvote 0

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
I would.

I have several times, and I am sure I would again. I would send it to Dr. Gomer and have what was missing added, but only small fixes, like what you have there. One thing about this restoration is, what was added can be taken off, so the point can be returned to as found condition if need be. I would never consider having something re-worked or touched up by a knapper though for a fix.

Mrdigz

Nov 14, 2015
Long Island ,NY
Detector(s) used
2 Whites MXT pros. Bullseye 2 & Bullseye trx pinpointers.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've never sent a piece out but if you would like to see it completed for a showcase then definitely send it out. I also agree with quito and wouldn't have it reworked.

dts52

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2015
NW CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox800 / AT Pro / AT Gold / Makro Racer
Vibra-probe / TRX pp
Primary Interest:
Other
I think they are beautiful just as they are. Great couple of points!
HH
dts

JJ1965

Jul 27, 2016
Blythewood, SC
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have had a couple restored by Dr. Gomer, and he does great work. Personally, I would not restore the two that you are showing in this thread...they look great as they are to me.

Tony in SC

Gold Member
Jun 8, 2006
Upstate South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites, Minelab, Tesoro, and custom machines
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Those are nice points! There's a fine line between restoration and altering. I have seen points that I thought were damaged but later decided that it probably happened when they were made.

OP
OP
David Ray

David Ray

Sep 5, 2016
North Central Florida
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I agree. The serrated point's base is snapped and the tip is missing but I still like it's look, but the Newnan I found in a plowed field and the wing missing drives me crazy because the workmanship is really awesome as is the material. Most all my points have some damage from plow blades though with the exception of creek bed finds I have from many decades ago when I started as a teen. Thank you for your interest!

creekhunter

Bronze Member
Dec 14, 2007
Cincinnati, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Radio Shack
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you do, Dr. Gomer is the best. I have seen much of his work, and it can be identified with a black light. Myself, I never would.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I was to find something really nice I would consider it but for what I find I am happy with what they look like.

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
I've had a couple of points restored, but usually just breaks (where I have both halves.) I have purchased a couple of restored points over the years, I knew they were restored and I appreciate them.

The Kirk is a tricky one, restoring a full base is always kind of a guess. If you've got some local examples, I'd include pictures so that the base is as realistic as possible. (Kirks have pretty significant variation in bases across their range.)

The other piece is pretty strait forward, you know what it looked like and what is missing. Restore it if you want.

eastTNJoe

Mar 4, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This topic is interesting..I have a more technical question of how the restoration is done...like what material is used and how does someone like the Dr. make it look so natural?(I am assuming it looks natural if it takes a black light to see the restoration!)

For the record I think those points are nice either way!

OP
OP
David Ray

David Ray

Sep 5, 2016
North Central Florida
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I heard some kind of epoxy that is colored to fit is used and shaped as it dries, but I don't know for sure. I have some shells too and I heard a very diluted white Elmer's glue concoction was mixed up and shells or bones could be dipped in the thin mixture and then kinda dripped dry...but I haven't confirmed any of that.

OP
OP
David Ray

David Ray

Sep 5, 2016
North Central Florida
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Kirks in this area (I live less than a hundred miles from Georgia) do seem to have a lot of variation. Some are thick and crude but good stone while others are well made and have flute-like thinning strikes on the bases. These two are usually what I find around here and you can tell the bases are different but the point is around the same time period. These were about 25 miles away from each other and the one in my first post was found in-between them. IMG_0624.JPG IMG_0626.JPG

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
Dr. Gomer has been mentioned before, he's great and fairly close by. He's probably seen a bunch of local Kirks, but if you go with someone in the North or Western part of the US, they are probably going to google it and you might end up with something that looks odd to you. If you do decide to restore it, I'd include the pictures or maybe even send a similar point for the restorer to look at.

Kirk stemmed points in my area have a bifurcated/indented base, that might look totally wrong for Florida.

Kirk Stemmed - LITHICS-Net

Kirks in this area (I live less than a hundred miles from Georgia) do seem to have a lot of variation. Some are thick and crude but good stone while others are well made and have flute-like thinning strikes on the bases. These two are usually what I find around here and you can tell the bases are different but the point is around the same time period. These were about 25 miles away from each other and the one in my first post was found in-between them. View attachment 1356414 View attachment 1356415

OP
OP
David Ray

David Ray

Sep 5, 2016
North Central Florida
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I agree with you. The Kirks I have seen in books vary a great deal from different regions. A lot of what people would call a Kirk down here could easily be a Six Mile Creek, which from what I have read is a variant that has the serrations chipped in on one side rather than both like this one that I found in my backyard...that larger one in the above pic could be called that 'cause it is nearly all chipped in on one face. I tend to call all of these types Kirks as the shoulders at the base junction IMG_0595.JPG IMG_0598.JPG are always nearly identical.

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is the only Point I have ever had restored and I knew as soon as I picked it up I was going to do it. The quality of the material and the workmanship of the piece I knew I had to see it whole.

I had this one restored by Dr Gomer and he did an excellent job. Even in the back lit photo you can't tell what section he fixed without looking at the first photo.

Attachments

• 08-121.jpg
    08-121.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 75
  • Restored Thebes 2.jpg
    Restored Thebes 2.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 69
  • Blades and Points (13).jpg
    Blades and Points (13).jpg
    124 KB · Views: 68
  • Blades and Points (14).jpg
    Blades and Points (14).jpg
    124.3 KB · Views: 68
OP
OP
David Ray

David Ray

Sep 5, 2016
North Central Florida
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That is awesome Brother Grim ( Please don't take my young life for calling you that, Lol.) That base is wicked and the restoration is perfect. What point Id is that? I feel the same way about the Newnan...it practically begs me to make it whole again. I sent a request for an estimate but haven't heard back yet. Very nice!!!

OP
OP
David Ray

David Ray

Sep 5, 2016
North Central Florida
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It took less than a day of my request for an estimate to arrive via e-mail from Dr. Gomer. THAT was cool and reasonable too!
Now I just gotta decide whether I can do it...internally! I keep leaning to just doing the Newnan because of the material and symmetry.
I think it could easily be called a Hillsborough...decisions...decisions, Man!

Jon Stewart

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2011
In short, no. I would not have any point that I found restored. If it is done it turns into a repaired artifact and the repaired portion is not original. If you do have something restored do you explain to anyone that is looking at it which part is fake and which part is real? That's just me though.

I have however purchased broken arrowheads from a tourist trap in Texas and knapped them into arrowheads to put on arrows to give away. I ALWAYS, dislose that they are reworked arrowheads that were found and not 100 % original.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread