Can anyone help me with this find from my childhood?

krane737

Tenderfoot
Sep 5, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2GOGiAHJhY&feature=youtu.be

Arrowhead?

Sorry, it's a video. The edges are so smooth (hoping someone will tell me they're *dull*) that you have to see the light play off of it from a lot of angles to see what's going on, and this still isn't great. I found it on a lake shoreline in N Wisconsin on some property where my grandparents had a cabin, so it would be meaningful if it actually is something. Don't worry about letting me down though. Thanks!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

jmaschal

May 29, 2015
Maryland
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Looks natural to me no signs altered by man. Edge shouldn't be smooth. Keep looking! Welcome to the site!

OP
OP
K

krane737

Tenderfoot
Sep 5, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks natural to me no signs altered by man. Edge shouldn't be smooth. Keep looking! Welcome to the site!

Thanks for the reply. That's too bad...thought maybe the top and left slope showed signs of flaking. The bottom edge is actually somewhat sharp. Oh well.

Not sure how much more looking I'll do, I already found this one twice.

jmaschal

May 29, 2015
Maryland
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The video is dark what I think you are thinking is flaking looks like a natural fracture to me. Might want to post pictures with better lighting - but from what I see its natural.

Mrdigz

Nov 14, 2015
Long Island ,NY
Detector(s) used
2 Whites MXT pros. Bullseye 2 & Bullseye trx pinpointers.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, def post pics of all angles if possible. Very hard to confirm with the video. I would say it's Natural Rock.

dts52

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2015
NW CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox800 / AT Pro / AT Gold / Makro Racer
Vibra-probe / TRX pp
Primary Interest:
Other
IMHO it's natural, not an artifact.
HH
dts

OP
OP
K

krane737

Tenderfoot
Sep 5, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, def post pics of all angles if possible. Very hard to confirm with the video. I would say it's Natural Rock.

The left slope is making me wonder if it might be a uniface scraper or something. There's nothing like flaking on the other side so maybe it was opportunistic? It seems like there's a possibility the bottom left edge has a little serrating or wear that's been smoothed down by the water but it's probably all just wishful thinking.

Attachments

• photo 1 (2).JPG
    photo 1 (2).JPG
    35.3 KB · Views: 59
  • photo 3 (1).JPG
    photo 3 (1).JPG
    34.3 KB · Views: 61
  • photo 4.JPG
    photo 4.JPG
    31.8 KB · Views: 80

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
If it reminds you of your youth ,save that piece for sure.
Awful small to use for long as a tool , and does not shout being hand worked.
That opinion is only a two center though ,anything could have been used once almost.
I have seen a ground ,not flaked piece from N.E. of you. No mistaking its purpose ,or being made by a human, (just to suggest not all lithics were flaked.)

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I call them Dangits cause they look like something good but are natural.

Mrdigz

Nov 14, 2015
Long Island ,NY
Detector(s) used
2 Whites MXT pros. Bullseye 2 & Bullseye trx pinpointers.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see the area your talking about on the bottom left. It's still a little hard to see in the pictures but I would say it's a natural fracture on that part of rock.
On the other hand, if it brings back memories of a certain time in your life that was meaningful I would keep it!

OP
OP
K

krane737

Tenderfoot
Sep 5, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks everyone. Nah, it was just gonna be very cool because of associations with where I found it. I used to fish in that lake with my grandpa all the time.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread