Marking artifacts

BobGuy

Jul 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have seen some people mark directly on their artifacts the date and location the artifact was found. What I have been doing is using a label maker and putting stickers basically on mine to catalogue them. However, I'm concerned that over time the stickers will just fall off. Is there a safe way to mark directly on your artifacts without damaging them? If so, what type of marker can be used??

I appreciate any insight on this!

Thanks!

BG

Upvote 0

Steve Ia

Aug 22, 2010
I use a sharp lead pencil to write on arrowheads and then go over that with clear fingernail polish. Works well.

OP
OP
B

BobGuy

Jul 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And that will come off with out any problem?

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Stickers fall off as the glue dries out.

_________________________Tapatalk Signature_________________________

DT2016

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The old timers would put a layer of white nail polish on, then write on that after it died really well, and then put a coat of clear nail polish on top of that. If you ever wanted to take it off just soak it in acetone and it's gone.

I used to mark all of mine with a fine point marker back when a I first started cataloging pieces when I was in my 20's. It will never come off. I would then write the info on an index card with type, where found, length, width, and material and did that for years. After I started finding 40, 50, 60+ pieces on every hunt including little Beads I quit cataloging and went to site trays. If you just keep everything from one site in the same tray and mark the tray. You can even put a list on the back for each piece with info on it. Much easier and looks nicer then writing on them. Just my thoughts.

Both of these are site trays. The first tray is all from a Ft Ancient site and the second one is from an Early through Late Woodland site.

Attachments

• Feurt Site Collection (28).jpg
    Feurt Site Collection (28).jpg
    266.5 KB · Views: 84
  • DSC_0036.jpg
    DSC_0036.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its up to you as to how you want to do it. But I usually put them in a frame from the same location then just label the back of the frame as to the year found and the place. I dont like to mark the artifacts themselves makes them look ugly imo.

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
Writing doesn't look great on artifacts, but I am a firm believer that collectors should write at least county & state on significant artifacts. If you've ever been to a show or an auction, you see thousands of relics without the least bit of solid information. Stickers fall of or get peeled off. Clear nail polish, marker, clear nail polish will go on any relic and come off any relic if needed.

Steve's method of site trays works well when you hunt specific sites and can build nice displays. Part of the value/importance of Steve's collection is the detail and information. (From a collector point of view it makes his collection all that more impressive, from an archaeology point of view someone could still analyze them by site and make comparisons about material sourcing, did they interact and trade with other sites, were they competing sites, date the bone relics and get specific dates about occupation of the sites, etc.)

I am not a fan of secret codes or numbers, if the catalog disappears the numbers are just writing on a rock. T-1356/9 doesn't mean much to anyone else. No reason to write the size, shape or function on an artifact either.

OP
OP
B

BobGuy

Jul 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great insight! Maybe I'll still use my "secret code" number system but also include date and location. For me it's important to have each one labeled and then have a separate catalog of type, age, exact location and even material if I can identify that. When I go to an archaeologist and have 30 artifacts identified I don't have any other way of associated the type back to the specific artifact unless I number them and I certainly won't remember each type that they give me. In years to come im sure I'll get much bette at identifying.. There are several types that I already know off the top of my head after just a few years of collecting..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread