monsterrack

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2013
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had the day off and was going to the creek but right now we are getting rain storms with a lot of lighting. The one thing I don't like is lighting in a deep muddy, wet, humid day in the creek, wait I just described all my creeks and days:laughing7: I thought I would take the time to post some more things that may help the new hunters and for all you old pro's chime in on the comments. THANKS !!!!!!

First lets talk about the( it fits in my hand so good) saying. The truth is you can find 100's of stones in any creek or else where that will fit in your hand good, so that can not be a rule of thumb. This first photo of a hammer stone is the only tool I have ever found that there is evidence that it was made to fit in your hand, that I have found, so it does happen. group of artifacts 001.JPG group of artifacts 002.JPG You can see the impact marks on it and you can see where a dip was pecked out for it to fit between the thumb and forefinger to hold in your hand while you knapped out a point.

Use wear sometimes can be seen with the naked eye and then sometimes you will need a scope. The next group of photos all show wear from use. artifact group 001.JPG artifact group 002.JPG artifact group 005.JPG The first two are polished celts the last is a chipped celt/adze. You can see from them being used in different things and ways they got a polish on the bit end. Now some celts will have a polish all over, but I believe they were made for a special purpose.

Next lets talk knife blade, dart, and spear point. We being from the modern times have a lot of times thought for something to be a knife blade it needed to look like this reproduction blade. artifact group 006.JPG Even though blades close to this have been found , they are rare. The next group of photos are of small blades that I believe were used has knife blades. group of artifacts 003.JPG group of artifacts 004.JPG Now I say that because these points/blades could have been chipped more even, but due to them being re-sharpen they became misshaped. The next photo is of a blade I believe was a knife blade and not a spear point. group of artifacts 005.JPG This is JMO but it seems to be to wide to work well for killing since it would take more force to shove it into something. This next blade is a toss up to me , it could have been either one in my opinion. group of artifacts 006.JPG It is not to wide for a spear point and would have been a killer knife blade. This next blade is of my favorite style, the Dalton. This blade I believe was a spear point due to the narrowness of the blade. group of artifacts 007.JPG It would have been to large for a dart, but also it could have been a knife blade . This next group of Daltons were used for a dart JMO. group of artifacts 008.JPG

I welcome all comments on this post because this is how we learn from each other and I am no expert and even the experts disagree on things. Post your own photos and lets have a good time talking this over. Thanks and sorry for the long read:tongue3:

Upvote 0

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
good post .. Those are some very fine artifacts you have there.

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sometimes another characteristic that helps me determine if a piece was more likely used as a knife other then a spear head is usually beveling and secondary edge work. Like this quartz piece here I am sure it was more then likely used as a spear head, it is some what thick and displays no beveling on either side. IMG_0166_2.JPG IMG_0167.JPG This piece I am pretty sure it was more then likely used as a knife, It displays bevelingon one side of each face IMG_0168_2.JPG IMG_0169.JPG

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Getting some lite rain here today, hope it pours

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Haven't had any rain here for almost the last couple weeks. Would settle for that light rain right now. I hope you get a drencher rock.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions