Obsidian scraper

RockinIdaho

May 24, 2014
Idaho
Primary Interest:
Other
Well, Here I go again. I am pretty sure this is an obsidian scraper. Right? DSCF1236.JPG

DSCF1253.JPG DSCF1248.JPG

Upvote 0

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whats the story on it as to where it was found. Its pretty but outside pics could tell if its flint or not imo.

OP
OP
R

RockinIdaho

May 24, 2014
Idaho
Primary Interest:
Other
I am helping a friend of mine clean up their yard and condense a bunch of stuff in prep for moving. I found, actually two of them and I am not sure where they came from. sorry about the indoor pics but at 4 am there was no light outside. I will reshoot them and repost the outside photos later today. i almost think that they are not ancient and that a friend of theirs may have knapped them last year during hunting season.

monsterrack

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2013
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is Obsidian and someone did a lot of knapping on them by the way the flake scares look, with some edge work also. From the photo it's hard to tell if they are the real deal, but Obsidian does get a frosted look to it after a long age of being exposed to the weather and elements. As Rock said daylight photos would help. :icon_thumright:

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
Scrapers or knives, and nice!

Obsidian in some areas gets that frosty look, but in some places I've seen very old obsidian with only a light onion skin like sheen.

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

geologyjohn

Mar 18, 2009
West edge of the U.S.
Detector(s) used
WW2 mine detector, D-Tex Standard, D-Tex Deluxe, A.H. Pro Discriminator, various Whites, Fisher 1265-X, Fisher 1270, Fisher F75, Fisher Gold Bug,Tesoro Sand Shark. And maybe others that I forgot?
Very nice Idaho. I agree with you, they look like recent knap jobs to me too.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions