Help indentifying pottery

Jeremyshay91

Greenie
Sep 17, 2016
Waycross, GA
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hi guys! This is my first post here and I just had a few questions about some pottery I found, also would like some identification on possible pottery.

View attachment 1359978 Im sure this one is a pottery shard. I've just never seen a design like this one.

View attachment 1359979 this one I'm not so sure of. I found them near a creek beside a railroad. I believe they are some type of weld ash. But, I'm not sure.

Thank you guys! I hope I didn't make any mistakes posting this.

Upvote 0

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've got some pieces of Pottery from Georgia as well. None of mine have designs like yours though. I'm pretty sure these are all from south Georgia near the Florida line. All found in a river according to the finder, Points as well.

Attachments

• Georgia Artifacts (34).jpg
    Georgia Artifacts (34).jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 74
  • Georgia Artifacts (33).jpg
    Georgia Artifacts (33).jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 77
OP
OP
J

Jeremyshay91

Greenie
Sep 17, 2016
Waycross, GA
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'm actually pretty close to the Florida line. I'm only about 30 minutes from it. Unfortunately, I've never been able to find anything around my area. These were found near a Creek battle site, so I'm pretty sure they come from Creek Indians. I've just never seen designs like that before, and I'm not even sure if the second photo is pottery or not. You have some really nice pieces though!

Bow Only

Jun 20, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hard to tell on the OP's pics. The markings on the 1st pic are on the interior of the piece and that didn't happen much on pottery. I don't think the 2nd pic is a Native American ware.

Grim Reaper, you have some very nice fragments of Ft Walton Incised. The 1st two rims are very interesting in they would be early in the Ft Walton period and that has been my area of study for quite some time. They show the folded rim component of the Weeden Island II peoples but it is on Ft Walton ceramics.

Look at the curvature on the bottom left pic with the parallel "V" markings. See if that piece is almost completely flat. It could be a piece from a Choctawhatchee Incised 5 sided plate.

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The piece you are talking about with the "V's" on it is pretty flat so it may be as you say. That would be very cool.

Do you know Bud Merritt? From Milledgeville. We did some trading and I got these from him. I know they are river finds but I can't recall what river.

Are you on Arrowheadolgy.com? He goes by mootsman on there but doesn't post much anymore. If you search his name though you can find all kinds of pictures of the Pottery he was finding. Most of it just like these pieces I have.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Get this book its very easy to understand I use it. You can date a site by the pottery you find.

Attachments

• SDC11445.JPG
    SDC11445.JPG
    699.9 KB · Views: 50
  • SDC11447.JPG
    SDC11447.JPG
    838.7 KB · Views: 78

monsterrack

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2013
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The second photo put up by the OP is a type of sandstone, but the piece that has a flare at the end looks interesting (mother nature can do that also). The first photo could be from a pot that was placed over the head of the dead at time of burial. I have read that some NA had this practice and placed designs on the inside of the bowl, but I'm not sure about that area and more than likely that pottery is older than the Creek Indian tribe. Cool finds:icon_thumright: and Grim always has some cool stuff:icon_thumright:

OP
OP
J

Jeremyshay91

Greenie
Sep 17, 2016
Waycross, GA
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
IMG_0986.JPG I found these two about a mile away from where I found the pottery. If that helps any. Thanks so much for the info guys. I'm pretty new to collecting Native American artifacts so my knowledge, and collection, is quite small. These two points and the pottery is all I have right now in my collection. So thank you all for the information.

Bow Only

Jun 20, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The piece you are talking about with the "V's" on it is pretty flat so it may be as you say. That would be very cool.

Do you know Bud Merritt? From Milledgeville. We did some trading and I got these from him. I know they are river finds but I can't recall what river.

Are you on Arrowheadolgy.com? He goes by mootsman on there but doesn't post much anymore. If you search his name though you can find all kinds of pictures of the Pottery he was finding. Most of it just like these pieces I have.
I don't know Bud and don't do many other forums. I have a decent collection of pottery like your pictures.

Get this book its very easy to understand I use it. You can date a site by the pottery you find.
I've talked to Lloyd several times. His book is the best I've seen on Southeastern ceramic wares. I disagreed with him on one of his types, but we can agree to disagree. I don't know much but what I know, I know well.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread