🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO/Ace 250w8.5x11" DD Coil/
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT/
Vibra-Tector 730/
Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Tracker IV)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It’s been a long time since I’ve posted ‘down this way’. I wish I had more things to show. The other day a really great hunt ( http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/today-s-finds/519930-big-silver-pocket-watch-ih-cent-more.html )was initially inspired finding these goodies on the surface:

Numerous shell fragments, a clear quartz flake, and then this larger quartz piece that looks like it was fashioned to be a point. Is it anything or just a good looking fragment?

If it can be identified I’d love to know more about it. I live and hunt in Western Connectictut.

Thanks for looking!
Nick

Attachments

• 100_8663 - Mask.JPG
    100_8663 - Mask.JPG
    557.6 KB · Views: 90
  • 100_8695.JPG
    100_8695.JPG
    373.5 KB · Views: 64
  • 100_8696.JPG
    100_8696.JPG
    376.9 KB · Views: 60
  • 100_8698.JPG
    100_8698.JPG
    721 KB · Views: 60
Upvote 0

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Judging by the size and shape, it's a Late Woodland triangle. Ritchie's NY typology is valid for New England as well as NY.
Given the small size and shape, it might best be seen as a Madison, although some Levanna points have straight bases as well. Small triangular points were in use at the time of European contact, so they are among the last of the stone projectile points in use here. Here's the entry for Madison. You can view Levanna points at this link as well. About 20% of Levannas have straight bases, but they are usually larger then your point.

New York State Museum - Projectile Point Type Collection

OP
OP
Wildcat1750

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO/Ace 250w8.5x11" DD Coil/
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT/
Vibra-Tector 730/
Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Tracker IV)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Judging by the size and shape, it's a Late Woodland triangle. Ritchie's NY typology is valid for New England as well as NY.
Given the small size and shape, it might best be seen as a Madison, although some Levanna points have straight bases as well. Small triangular points were in use at the time of European contact, so they are among the last of the stone projectile points in use here. Here's the entry for Madison. You can view Levanna points at this link as well. About 20% of Levannas have straight bases, but they are usually larger then your point.

Thanks so much for your rapid and informative reply, Charl! I appreciate your help! :thumbsup:

Last edited:

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good finds

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread