Wally Taylor

Jan 3, 2017
Western New York
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster, White's Bullseye II Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
image.jpeg
Hello Native American Tool Experts. I found this point while metal detecting an old cabin site right next to my creek. I thought it was a scraper, but when I posted it on "Today's Finds", the guys recommended that I post a picture here for identification.
The consensus on that post seems to identify it as a possible Spear Point. I would appreciate any help that You could give me. Thanks in advance!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Wally Taylor

Wally Taylor

Jan 3, 2017
Western New York
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Luckily, I didn't touch it with the shovel. I rolled out a scoop, and it was right in the heart of the scoopfull. I used my pinpointer, and found a 1915 Wheatie, and it was about two inches deeper in the pile than the penny was. It was close to the creek, and about 20 feet from the nearest foundation stone. I think the cabin is about 1802-1820. I'm hoping for some old coins. I'm starting on the cabin perimeter tomorrow. I have to take advantage of this freakish Winter weather here in Western New York. Tomorrow is supposed to be 53 and dry. We'll pay for this weather soon enough, but it's going to be February before You know it. I'll post any more points if I'm lucky enough to find some more. I have a good quarter mile of creek to work, and I found this point in the first twenty feet. Beginner's luck for sure. That also was the first twenty feet of my metal detecting career. My detector and pinpointer still don't have a scratch on them. I know that finding good stuff like this is FAR from easy. I got out my knee pads for tomorrow. I've had four back surgeries, so I can't do any bending over. I have two Titanium discs and a lot of screws and hardware. I don't even know if I can physically even do this hobby yet! One beep at a time I guess, and I have the rest of my life to check out my farm.

Last edited:

crj1968

Feb 16, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a really nice find Wally. I hope you find some more out there.
If there is a small hill or draw near the creek look there for flakes.

It can be hard on the back, like you said...Instead of carrying your detector, you might try just looking for stone artifacts for a bit with a hiking stick... like one of those aluminum ones with a sharp point and you can flip stuff over with it. Good luck !

OP
OP
Wally Taylor

Wally Taylor

Jan 3, 2017
Western New York
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I may try that for a morning walk. This time of year the ground is mostly stone and dirt on the creek banks. I have always had Golden Retrievers, so I'm always walking them. Every time that they plow I walk the field at least 50 feet in from the creek, and again when they disc or plant. I always thought that I'd find one, but I've never seen anything. I can only see out of my left eye after an accident, and I just got a new prescription and three pairs of glasses made up for reading, short distance, and long distence. Maybe I can find something on a slow walk with these conditions.
I'm also chomping at the bit to detect around the cabin in the woods. I finally got a metal detector, and I've been thinking about those stones in the woods forna long time. I also have two bottle dumps spotted, and I know that there are at least three more. There are also two houses that were by the road in 1854, but they're long gone. Once again, conditions will not get better than they are right now. If I ever do all of those spots justice picking them over, there are sort of endless locations that I can hunt any time I feel like it. It's a good tim to be retired.

Last edited:

crj1968

Feb 16, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I may try that for a morning walk. This time of year the ground is mostly stone and dirt on the creek banks. I have always had Golden Retrievers, so I'm always walking them. Every time that they plow I walk the field at least 50 feet in from the creek, and again when they disc or plant. I always thought that I'd find one, but I've never seen anything. I can only see out of my left eye after an accident, and I just got a new prescription and three pairs of glasses made up for reading, short distance, and long distence. Maybe I can find something on a slow walk with these conditions.
I'm also chomping at the bit to detect around the cabin in the woods. I finally got a metal detector, and I've been thinking about those stones in the woods forna long time. I also have two bottle dumps spotted, and I know that there are at least three more. There are also two houses that were by the road in 1854, but they're long gone. Once again, conditions will not get better than they are right now. If I ever do all of those spots justice picking them over, there are sort of endless locations that I can hunt any time I feel like it. It's a good tim to be retired.

I am about 20 years from being retired myself...I sure admire guys like you getting out there!

I was out pheasant hunting and ran into a guy to hunt with...we walked and talked for 3+ hours and he was 90 years old!
There were times I wanted to stop and take a break, but you just don't tell a guy 40 years your elder that you are tired and need a break !

Keep on keepin' on !

OP
OP
Wally Taylor

Wally Taylor

Jan 3, 2017
Western New York
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I am about 20 years from being retired myself...I sure admire guys like you getting out there!

I was out pheasant hunting and ran into a guy to hunt with...we walked and talked for 3+ hours and he was 90 years old!
There were times I wanted to stop and take a break, but you just don't tell a guy 40 years your elder that you are tired and need a break !

Keep on keepin' on !

I'm going to try to stay busy, and do any physical stuff that I can handle. I used to golf 5 nights a week, but with my back I can no longer swing a club. It was hard to give it up, but I've always been kind of a rock hound. Metal detecting and hunting for ancient stone tools will make a great replacement for golf and softball. I can't wait to get going full force into hunting. We also have a lot of wild berries around, so I can kill two birds with one stone. My Christmas presents are getting me up and out of the house, and I needed something to give me a boost up!

Last edited:

mogi

Nov 30, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
Gosh, I love stories like this!! And crj1968, i am just like you - I could and do just listen to these guys stories for hours. God bless you Wally Taylor! Respectfully, Mogi

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Keep on keepin' on !

I was about 45 years old when I first hooked up with a guy who was basically the Dean, and last surviving artifact hunter, of one of the most famous of southern New England collecting families. This was in the early 90's, and his family had been collecting since the mid 1800's. He was just shy of 90 years old. On our first walk with him, we went from field to field, beginning at sunrise. As the sun was setting, he asked if we wanted to check one last place. I was the one who had no choice but to say "uncle!"

crj1968

Feb 16, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was about 45 years old when I first hooked up with a guy who was basically the Dean, and last surviving artifact hunter, of one of the most famous of southern New England collecting families. This was in the early 90's, and his family had been collecting since the mid 1800's. He was just shy of 90 years old. On our first walk with him, we went from field to field, beginning at sunrise. As the sun was setting, he asked if we wanted to check one last place. I was the one who had no choice but to say "uncle!"

That's funny.
I asked the old guy what it was that kept him so healthy.

His answer;
"This." (walking)

OP
OP
Wally Taylor

Wally Taylor

Jan 3, 2017
Western New York
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I took a long, slow walk with the pup this morning. We had early snows this year, so there's a lot of leaves where most years they blow into the creek before the snows come. I have "Point Fever" now, and it was disappointing seeing all of the leaves covering the dirt. We should get some high winds when the cold returns to New York, so hopefully it will blow away some of the cover. I did some detecting around one of the cabin spots. Mostly nails. No coins. More hunting tomorrow.

crj1968

Feb 16, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In my experience...those leaves look just like points ! It's tough hunting here also. wherever I go I am lucky to see 10% of the ground. :/

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread