monsterrack

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2013
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I said I was going to make a post on reproduction of fake patina. So here it is and this only took 30min of my time and a real good person that wants to fool some one will put much more time into it. This is a knock out point made from Ft. Payne chert. repro steps 001.JPG repro steps 002.JPG Now this is the same point after the 1st step. repro steps 004.JPG Now after the 2nd step of a fake patina. repro steps 005.JPG Here are some microscope views of the patina. This 1st view is a hinge on the point. repro  micro shot 1.png This 2nd view is the tip of the point. repro micro shot 2.png This last view is what the iron deposit looks like next to the natural stone. repro micro shot 3.png
This iron deposit can not be taken off with soap and water, finger nail polish remover, paint thinner or any other item other than some type of acid. It want flake off and you can't taste it with your tongue , which by the way is a dumb thing to do with any artifact. I will keep working on this and show the progress up till the finish . I made a invalid style so it will never be taken for real or I may break it after this.

Upvote 0

arrow86

Silver Member
May 6, 2014
Eastern Shore Maryland
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting ..... I'm sure with enough time and effort anybody could be fooled into buying a fake.

By the way You would have made a good Indian ..... You ever hunt using points you made ?

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very educational thread. Thanks for taking the time to share this and show just how easily it is to fake patina on modern pieces.

OP
OP
monsterrack

monsterrack

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2013
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting ..... I'm sure with enough time and effort anybody could be fooled into buying a fake.

By the way You would have made a good Indian ..... You ever hunt using points you made ?

Thanks and yes I have taken a lot of whitetails with arrows mounted with stone points and the bow that I made. On my bucket list is to take a turkey with my stuff. 1st pics 009.JPG

ghp95134

Sep 29, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks and yes I have taken a lot of whitetails with arrows mounted with stone points and the bow that I made. On my bucket list is to take a turkey with my stuff.

Nice arrows.

Me ... I have to buy mine! But I did make the bowcase, quiver, and arrow cup.

Dunno why it presents upside-down ....:icon_scratch: and all the fringe is now fully twisted, not flat.

Bow and arrows by Eric Smith

Attachments

• Bowcase & Quiver.JPG
    Bowcase & Quiver.JPG
    361.5 KB · Views: 81
Last edited:

Buckleberry

Sep 4, 2010
Great information...always interested in how points are made, and also how easily people can be fooled.
Alot of people would take an archys word for authenticity over an avocational collectors....and that would be a big mistake in general.
Archy assume what they're looking at is real and aren't experienced with fakes like avocational collectors are, of course there's exceptions to every "rule" but as a general principal, I'd take the word of Valentine or Joshua over any arch any day.

Last edited:

Bow Only

Jun 20, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Informative indeed, but you should have made a 6 inch Sloan Dalton. There are enough of those around that no one would want to buy it.

Thanks and yes I have taken a lot of whitetails with arrows mounted with stone points and the bow that I made. On my bucket list is to take a turkey with my stuff. View attachment 1415839
Although not traditional, I've taken 26 gobblers with a bow and I've never killed one from a blind.

Jon Stewart

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2011
Monster: my points look authentic also but only because I am a crappy knapper. Good post.

I also have taken deer with my stone points. Now trying to get one using my osage self bow.

Bow Only: Never taken a turkey with a bow. You seem to have it down good.

Bow Only

Jun 20, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Monster: my points look authentic also but only because I am a crappy knapper. Good post.

I also have taken deer with my stone points. Now trying to get one using my osage self bow.

Bow Only: Never taken a turkey with a bow. You seem to have it down good.

I've had videos of some of my turkeys on 3 or 4 hunting shows. Here is a pic from several years ago before I filled the 3rd strand.

Attachments

• Necklace.jpg
    Necklace.jpg
    155.6 KB · Views: 68
OP
OP
monsterrack

monsterrack

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2013
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I didn't have much time today so I could only do 1 stage more for now. This is the 3rd stage of patina and work. repro point stage 3 001.JPG repro point stage 3 002.JPG I hope you can see the change that is going on with this point. If I can help one person from getting burned by a artifaker then it's worth my time.

PS. I only have 40min into this now not counting posting time Lol !!!!

Last edited:
OP
OP
monsterrack

monsterrack

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2013
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I got time to end this demo, these are photos of the finished product. I have a total 1hr 15min invested in this so if I sold it for $20 and had 50 more to fake then sell, we are talking about good money tax free and sitting at home. I took some outside photos because there is nothing better than real sun light to look over an artifact. last stage repro 001.JPG last stage repro 002.JPG It has the feel of smoothness from washing down a creek. There are no flake nails something you don't find on a lot of points up north that has been found in a creek. It has a shine to it that comes from rolling down a creek and the serrations are less perfect looking. last stage repro 004.JPG last stage repro 005.JPG These last photos show an imperfection that was made on purpose to make it look real. An for anyone that thinks I may have used a wax or a petro base substance, when someone does that water will bead up on the item. This next photo shows it passes that test. last stage repro 006.JPG I have done this just to show that it can be done and there are a number of patina's and deposit's that can be reproduced . So if a man made 10 high dollar items and faked them all an got $500 each, he would not have to do much work to make a living. That's why people make fakes, it's the money!!!!!!!!!!

jmaschal

May 29, 2015
Maryland
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thank you for this it was educational - I know you put some time into this post! Much appreciated and nice work!

Igyjastabay

May 28, 2014
The Beach SW FLORIDA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Ferric oxide deposits are pretty easy to remove with a fingernail. If I couldn't remove a ferric deposit it would soon lead to suspicion. As for fake patina, toluene will take off any recent applied staining and leave the real stuff behind. Museums across the world use it to screen for fakes. Toluene is expensive and corrosive, use with caution.

OP
OP
monsterrack

monsterrack

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2013
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ferric oxide deposits are pretty easy to remove with a fingernail. If I couldn't remove a ferric deposit it would soon lead to suspicion. As for fake patina, toluene will take off any recent applied staining and leave the real stuff behind. Museums across the world use it to screen for fakes. Toluene is expensive and corrosive, use with caution.

You are very correct on that, but what I used is not a stain but a chemical that penetrates the stone ,then with another action it is sealed in the stone and all deposits can be removed in one way are another, but you will still have a micro film layer of it still on the stone.

Igyjastabay

May 28, 2014
The Beach SW FLORIDA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
A swab with toluene will lift anything on the surface. An acid will burn the stone, toluene will pull color from acid etched flint. The color is actually very minute fragments of that burned crystalline material. I have played around with the stuff quit abit. I use it to clean the hypolon on my RIB (boat).

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions