monsterrack

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2013
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was given this by a friend from Mule Creek Nm. along with a lot of nice pottery that she an her husband collected. It seems to be a volcanic type of stone, but I not sure what it was used for. I thought a cap stone for a drill device but I'm not sure. What's your thoughts on it. fire starter rock 002.JPG fire starter rock 001.JPG I don't think it's a nutting stone because I don't think they had any that big.:tongue3:

Upvote 0

arrow86

Silver Member
May 6, 2014
Eastern Shore Maryland
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting looking are the indents on the sides from natural wear or does it look intentional? Do they carry over on the backside at all?

Bow Only

Jun 20, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It looks like a nutting stone. Hickory nuts and walnuts are that size. A cap stone or hammer stone both show distinct wear patterns inside the hole.

I have one that looks exactly like yours and several others that aren't completely round.

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Indented on one side or both?

OP
OP
monsterrack

monsterrack

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2013
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting looking are the indents on the sides from natural wear or does it look intentional? Do they carry over on the backside at all?

The indents are just on both sides. Almost like were a cord would have been, just a guess.

Bow Only

Jun 20, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I stand corrected. I looked at my pieces more closely and do not believe they were nutters. They all fit in the hand very well and appear to have another use. Most show some wear on the other side as well.

OP
OP
monsterrack

monsterrack

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2013
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I stand corrected. I looked at my pieces more closely and do not believe they were nutters. They all fit in the hand very well and appear to have another use. Most show some wear on the other side as well.

Bow my artifact is only round on the other side it shows no use wear at all ?

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Okay, thanks. I've seen a few hammer stones that were dimpled on opposite sides. I reckon it could be one with only a single indent but I'm just guessing here.

I'm not much help, am I?

OP
OP
monsterrack

monsterrack

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2013
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The theory of a small nutting stone has always not seem to be right to me. It would take a long time to break 1 nut at a time. Just saying!!!! Mostly ones small enough to hold in your palm.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have some small semi round stones that we were taught were platform stones. Like a third hand to place on your leg and hold the work you were doing. But no idea what that may be as it is way out of context now.

jamus peek

May 13, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It looks like a nutting stone. Hickory nuts and walnuts are that size. A cap stone or hammer stone both show distinct wear patterns inside the hole.

I have one that looks exactly like yours and several others that aren't completely round.

Hi Bow Only

What are the distinct features of a cap stone?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread