Folsom question?

SCpicker

Jan 8, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I was young I first read about the Folsom type site. I was always fascinated with the Folsom point that was found "embedded" between two bison ribs and excavated in situ in one large block. Well a few years ago I visited the Denver museum of natural science and got to see it in person. I was quite disappointed. The point isn't embedded at all. It is just laying on top of the dirt. I got down on my hands and knees and could see that it is just laying there. There was no impression underneath it. I was just wondering if anyone else had noticed that? Or am I completely mistaken?

Upvote 0

monsterrack

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2013
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I was young I first read about the Folsom type site. I was always fascinated with the Folsom point that was found "embedded" between two bison ribs and excavated in situ in one large block. Well a few years ago I visited the Denver museum of natural science and got to see it in person. I was quite disappointed. The point isn't embedded at all. It is just laying on top of the dirt. I got down on my hands and knees and could see that it is just laying there. There was no impression underneath it. I was just wondering if anyone else had noticed that? Or am I completely mistaken?

It's more than likely a reproduction of the point on display, museums do it all the time.

OP
OP
S

SCpicker

Jan 8, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's more than likely a reproduction of the point on display, museums do it all the time.

I understand that most museums put reproductions on display. If it is a reproduction they could have at least stuck the tip in the dirt between the ribs? Btw the original black and white pics of the in situ look like point is just laying on the dirt. I guess my definition of embedded is not the same as the archeologist that excavated it.

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
This brief write up describes how that first Folsom was found, and a photo from excavation in 1927. Let's assume the animal remains were found as they lay thousands of years ago. If you look at the position of the point, it would have been embedded in the once existing flesh of the animal, no? And then settled. Bear in mind it was excavated. The point was not found lying on the surface. At least that is how what I am reading at the link. Judging from the photo, and position of ribs in situ, looks like the point was likely within the animal. But I'm just guessing here. I'm not familiar with the excavation report, just what it describes here...

The Search for the First Americans

image.jpg

arrow86

Silver Member
May 6, 2014
Eastern Shore Maryland
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I haven't read the report but perhaps they found damage to the bones in the area they found the point and assumed. Did they ever test the point for remains from the bison? Does anybody have a link for it? I would be interested in reading it.

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
I think the big picture at Wildhorse arroyo was all of the stone tools found with the remains of the 20+ butchered specimens of an extinct species of bison. I understand that it is the original point still in the original block of dirt and bone, but I haven't seen it in person.

I have seen lots of different animal remains excavated over the years at university lead excavations and usually the ribs/body mass 'collapse' once they decay and get covered. By the time you get back a couple of thousand years, a kill shot into the lungs might be sitting on the ribs on the other side of the animal or even under the animal. In this case I doubt the point simply penetrated a couple of inches into the ribs, there was probably more going on with decay and deposition, but the picture of the point inbetween the ribs was an easy visual that was hard to dismiss.

OP
OP
S

SCpicker

Jan 8, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Josh I bet you're spot on that it was a kill shot and through decay the point ended up where it was found near the ribs.

My issue is the folsom is not embedded at all. There is no imprint of the point underneath it. The surface is uneven underneath it like the surrounding dirt. If you read the description it says "still embedded between the ribs". I just wanted to see it stuck in the dirt or at least an impression! It looks like someone just laid it down on top of the dirt and bones. Since it is one of the most significant paleo finds ever made... I just expected too much I guess.

I could have leaned over the railing and laid a Folsom on the bone bed at Blackwater Draw...took a pic and called it "embedded"!

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    424 KB · Views: 43
  • image.png
    image.png
    384.6 KB · Views: 64

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread