✅ SOLVED Dalton? Unfluted Clovis?

BearCreek

Apr 10, 2016
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 300
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I found this today when I took one of my horses into our new round pen to do some training. Our round pen is in our pasture on an appx. 25 foot hill in northwest ga. I have been leveling out the soil in the area with our tractor. After a year of looking in our two creeks and finding only 3 scrapers and a knife I find my best find ever where I never would have thought to look. I cleaned off the mud and it is in great shape. It has a concave base and one side has a thumb size area that is polished looking with what I think is scattered peck marks. Any help in identifying is greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• IMG_1919.JPG
    IMG_1919.JPG
    907.1 KB · Views: 673
  • IMG_1920.JPG
    IMG_1920.JPG
    576.3 KB · Views: 549
  • IMG_1944.PNG
    IMG_1944.PNG
    770.8 KB · Views: 630
  • IMG_1925.JPG
    IMG_1925.JPG
    695.3 KB · Views: 531
  • IMG_1927.JPG
    IMG_1927.JPG
    375.7 KB · Views: 470
Upvote 0
OP
OP
BearCreek

BearCreek

Apr 10, 2016
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 300
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Mogi, honestly I am so new to this I am not sure what to look for in defining a flute. I am familiar with the textbook clovis with a long flat flake right out of the middle, but I'm thinking those are on the top/front of the point? The area I described seems to be the back of this point. It almost seems like the area you sometimes see below a bulb of percussion that is flat and circular with the concentric rings. (I think I'm describing that correctly, not completely sure though). I will have to study up on fluting. Thank you for the question! :)

OP
OP
BearCreek

BearCreek

Apr 10, 2016
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 300
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
tnmudman thank you for the suggestion I am looking there now. It's a great site! There is so much to learn about identifying artifacts :)

OP
OP
BearCreek

BearCreek

Apr 10, 2016
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 300
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thank you Sandchip! I am going to take some pics outside and post. It is so hard to capture the detail in the flaking on this piece. I am really new to this and not sure what you mean about the grinding on the base. If the point was standing straight up and I look at the very bottom edge, it appears and feels like there is very very tiny pressure flaking. Right above the bottom edge on the front face is a half circle area that is concave (?). Hmmm...like it slides down from the dome of the piece to the bottom and outer shoulder edges of the base. That's clear as mud lol! Thank you for your question! I am eager to find out what this is!

naturegirl

Bronze Member
Mar 21, 2009
that's BEAUTIFUL!!! Can someone say exactly what type and age and material? congratulations!

OP
OP
BearCreek

BearCreek

Apr 10, 2016
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 300
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Tnmountains I am going to take some outdoor pics if the sun comes out enough today. It is more of a grayish color in person, the photos just really really brought out the greenish hues. We have a good bit of chert in our creeks that have this underlying greenish gray or bluish gray tint. I'm eager to find out what type point this is - thanks for the look!

bill_wabo

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2014
Quebec
Detector(s) used
helmet from pomelo
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Tesoro Mojave,
Garrett Carrott
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats! What a piece, could it be olivine?

T.C.

Bronze Member
May 17, 2012
Kalamity Falls, Orygun
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's a pretty good example of basal grinding. This was copy and pasted from another site. This area in red has the sharp edges removed so the binding that attaches the arrowhead to the shaft, is not cut.
dalto-2.jpg

Last edited:

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you Sandchip! I am going to take some pics outside and post. It is so hard to capture the detail in the flaking on this piece. I am really new to this and not sure what you mean about the grinding on the base. If the point was standing straight up and I look at the very bottom edge, it appears and feels like there is very very tiny pressure flaking. Right above the bottom edge on the front face is a half circle area that is concave (?). Hmmm...like it slides down from the dome of the piece to the bottom and outer shoulder edges of the base. That's clear as mud lol! Thank you for your question! I am eager to find out what this is!

TC showed you the area you would expect to find basal grinding if it's there. Feel the edges in this area. If they feel sorta dull compared to the edges above this area, then that's what you're looking for, usually indicating an earlier point compared to later Woodland examples normally lacking the grinding.

GaRebel1861

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2011
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've never seen a green arrowhead before but, I love that color and material of yours. Very nice find.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats a great 1st find of a point. Its all down hill from that one Im afraid. Im still looking for a Dalton which it looks like to me. There is one called a Dalton Santa Fe
that is possible to.

redbeardrelics

Jan 3, 2014
Maryland's Eastern Shore
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500, (Ace 250 spare)
Primary Interest:
Other
Beautiful point and material. It looks like a fine grained grade of greenish quartzite for lack of a more specific name. We see similar material up here on the Delmarva peninsula, but not very often, nor seldom that nice. I would agree that your hilltop probably holds many more treasures. Finding more pieces from that area, may help better date this point, ... at a later date. HH

monsterrack

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2013
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I first saw the photo I was in a Naval air base and was not allowed to have my phone on but took a quick look. What I see from the photo is no fluting but some base thinning strokes and if the sides are ground down duller than the rest of the blade I say Dalton. All Dalton have grinding on the base and thinning of the base. Daylight photos always work best if you can take them for the true color, indoor lighting does some weird stuff in photos of stones. Great find no matter what color it is.:notworthy:

OP
OP
BearCreek

BearCreek

Apr 10, 2016
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 300
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks T.C. ! That really helps and the visual is awesome. T.C. and sandchip I felt the edges and they do feel less serrated as you move down the edges from the point to the base. The bottom of the base feels less serrated as well. So, yes there is a difference, but the basal edges are no completely smooth. I really appreciate you taking time to help me learn an important piece of information I'll use often I'm sure:)

Last edited:

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
unreal, it looks like an alien projectile point.

Bow Only

Jun 20, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is an absolutely beautiful point. I don't think I've ever seen a green like that before. I'd be proud of that one. After a visual inspection, I don't feel that this point is a Dalton or Clovis. Pictures can only show you so much and I could be wrong, but it just doesn't seem to have the characteristics of a Dalton or Clovis. That in no way is demeaning the point, it's a smoker for sure. Congrats on a super find.

NCPeaches

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2013
Western Piedmont North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All I can say is WOW girl! That is an amazing point there! The color is unique too and wonder if there are more out there made of the same material, bet there are. Very awesome!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread