✅ SOLVED Dalton? Unfluted Clovis?

BearCreek

Apr 10, 2016
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 300
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I found this today when I took one of my horses into our new round pen to do some training. Our round pen is in our pasture on an appx. 25 foot hill in northwest ga. I have been leveling out the soil in the area with our tractor. After a year of looking in our two creeks and finding only 3 scrapers and a knife I find my best find ever where I never would have thought to look. I cleaned off the mud and it is in great shape. It has a concave base and one side has a thumb size area that is polished looking with what I think is scattered peck marks. Any help in identifying is greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• IMG_1919.JPG
    IMG_1919.JPG
    907.1 KB · Views: 673
  • IMG_1920.JPG
    IMG_1920.JPG
    576.3 KB · Views: 549
  • IMG_1944.PNG
    IMG_1944.PNG
    770.8 KB · Views: 630
  • IMG_1925.JPG
    IMG_1925.JPG
    695.3 KB · Views: 531
  • IMG_1927.JPG
    IMG_1927.JPG
    375.7 KB · Views: 470
Upvote 0

newnan man

Gold Member
Aug 8, 2005
Beautiful Florida
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Is it possible that it was a larger point that broke and the base was reworked to keep it in use. It is unusual and beautiful.

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Without actually holding it, I'm leaning toward Santa Fe. Neither Santa Fes nor Tallahassees are Dalton period types but rather are Woodland points. Once again, as Bow mentioned, this in no way takes away from what is a great find made even greater by the beautiful material with its color, translucence, and gloss, not to mention its condition and symmetry. Killer all day.

OP
OP
BearCreek

BearCreek

Apr 10, 2016
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 300
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Sandchip it does look similar to the Santa Fe, but aren't they usually found in South Georgia and Florida? We live in far Northwest Georgia. Maybe a trade?

Rege-PA

Jul 13, 2007
I think Sandchip nailed it. I see no evidence of grinding. Bear Creek, points can be found way out of their local distribution areas and the distance across GA is not that far. Hunter gatherers tended to wander seasonal patterns and their points can be distributed over a wide area.

OP
OP
BearCreek

BearCreek

Apr 10, 2016
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 300
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks Rege-PA! I made another post with better pics since there was a question about basal grinding (of which I'm just learning about), maybe should have posted on this thread, but anyway it is under Better Pics of BearCreek's Mystery Point. Maybe it will help confirm it as a Santa Fe type.

EricTheCat

Oct 4, 2011
Southern Minnesota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on making such an excellent find and thank you for sharing. Although I search I haven't found anything very good myself but I get encouraged every time I see someone cross a threshold like you have. I hope you make many more good finds. :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
BearCreek

BearCreek

Apr 10, 2016
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 300
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thank you Eric! I'm keeping my fingers crossed a great one will find you soon! I've only ever looked around the creeks on our own farm. I never even thought about artifacts until I stumbled across a really big bowl looking thing on the creek bank. I thought it was a skull or something lol! It was just half of a big concretion. My little granddaughter loves looking at rocks and has found some heart shape rocks and 3 round concretitons. Making memories with her has been the best find of all :)

jamey

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you do not look old enough too have a granddaughter.can not believe know one has id it yet.find another one

arrow86

Silver Member
May 6, 2014
Eastern Shore Maryland
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The only point I have found close too that color was last summer but it was crystal Quartz that had been permanently stained green from algae in the river .... Found at low tide still under 6 inches of water but yours was in a field so there goes that theory .... Did you try and clean it up ?

rebbel31

Aug 1, 2014
Bavaria, Germany
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, Xp deus, Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on your find. It is beautiful. I'd be rooting up that Hill daily.:icon_thumright:

landmagnet

Aug 25, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Stunning. A well deserved BANNER !!:hello2:

OP
OP
BearCreek

BearCreek

Apr 10, 2016
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 300
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hi arrow, It looked like it had been dusted with mud (and probably horse manure lol!) so I used a soft toothbrush and a smudge of toothpaste to clean it. I'd give anything if I had taken a pic of it before I picked it up, but I don't usually have my phone on me when I'm working with my horses and I was not at all expecting to find that in our round pen. We do have two creeks and I have picked up a rock that has a fossil of a seashell so maybe the area used to be underwater. I have no idea what the material is. Our creek has tons of chert, jasper, flint, and slate. Any tips for cleaning it?

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Already looks clean. All I use is an old toothbrush and a lil' bit of soap. Many don't even need washing depending on where they're found.

Muddyhandz

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2012
In da bush
Detector(s) used
Fisher's 1266X, 1270X & 1280X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations BearCreek, that point is an awesome find and looks great up there on the banner!
That material reminds me of the moss agate stones that I used pick up on the West Coast.
Very nice looking point and quite old I'm sure. :thumbsup:
Find some more!

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this today when I took one of my horses into our new round pen to do some training. Our round pen is in our pasture on an appx. 25 foot hill in northwest ga. I have been leveling out the soil in the area with our tractor. After a year of looking in our two creeks and finding only 3 scrapers and a knife I find my best find ever where I never would have thought to look. I cleaned off the mud and it is in great shape. It has a concave base and one side has a thumb size area that is polished looking with what I think is scattered peck marks. Any help in identifying is greatly appreciated!

WOW!
Such a Beautiful piece & Not that far from me.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread