Anyone else having creek problems this year?

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I usually don't have a whole lot of luck in the creeks around here but have lucked out a couple of times,and most of all I really enjoy hunting them. But this summer has been a real flop so far do to all the leaves and debris. Usually by this time of year we would have had a good gully washer to send all that stuff down stream but hasn't happened yet..I was just wondering if anyone else has been experiencing the same problem?

Upvote 0

coosakid

Nov 3, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had that problem last year not much you can do......I always like to wet the Sandbars (or gravel) down the best I can to wash dried mud or whatever off.. I got permission to hunt a couple big clear-cuts that haven't growed up yet and have been having pretty good luck as soon as I find a good spot. But it's hot and not as fun as the creeks.....

Sent from my Z799VL using Tapatalk

sawmill man

Jun 12, 2016
KENTUCKY
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
We have had some good rains this summer. been doing fair walking them ,actually better for me this year than others in the past.

BearCreek

Apr 10, 2016
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 300
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I usually don't have a whole lot of luck in the creeks around here but have lucked out a couple of times,and most of all I really enjoy hunting them. But this summer has been a real flop so far do to all the leaves and debris. Usually by this time of year we would have had a good gully washer to send all that stuff down stream but hasn't happened yet..I was just wondering if anyone else has been experiencing the same problem?

We had a big top of the banks rain and it made some new gravel bars. That is where I found the adena I posted not long ago, but ours are just creeping along leaving leaves and sticks. Generally really dark and hard to see. Something large has moved into the coyote den near a favorite spot and the bugs are awful too! My nephew is thinking about buying the land next to ours and if so I am looking forward to checking out his part of the creek as no one has been hunting it at all. It also runs a little deeper and has two huge s curves. I'm ready for late fall hunting!

ptsofnc

Apr 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

We've had some good rains here, but my creek finds are about 1/2 what they were last year. Still believe they are there, just not putting in the same effort as last year. Also haven't been able to field hunt for about 2 months because of crops. Just waiting. Good luck to you!

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm afraid it's typical for this time of year unless the September gales bring some big rains to flush them out. Slower flow and warm temps encourage the growth of the black crud in the ones I look, making it tough to spot anything, not to mention the leaves starting to fall. Just have to look forward to springtime, I guess.

GaRebel1861

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2011
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Too much rain here this year to hunt the creeks or river. The water stayed higher than normal and was muddy.

IAMZIM

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2011
Butte City, Montana
Detector(s) used
ace 250/garret pinpointer, garret AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Montana is 6th in the nation for drought I guess. Many counties have declared a state of emergency because of it. It was nice and wet in the spring, but it just stopped raining and hasn't dropped anything for at least 2 months. I've only found one point in a creek, the rest I find are around the shoreline of a reservoir that is used for irrigation, as the water drops, it uncovers stuff every year. The drought is unfortunate, but it helps me find points.......

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love a good creek hunt but this year in most of the creeks I am able to hunt have had a large amount of sand and mud. We have had plenty of rain and the creeks here drain fast all except 1 I go to but I dont know where all of the mud and sand is coming from. The 1 that doesnt drain fast gets a long black grass in it this time of the year its best to go to it in the winter when the water is ice cold and that stuff dies off. Its been hot but not in the 100s like usual which is nice. For some reason this time of the year is always busy at work for me. They say no overtime but every week there it is 10 hours or so. Extra money for the holidays weather you want it or not. I hope to get out soon I hear them calling my name, nice post but Im sorry they arent popping for you, rock

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread