Old Native American mortor or nothing special?

oldgun

Mar 29, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I was a kid running around the woods of Western New York c. 1980's I found this odd rock. It wasn't found near any known Native American village or related sight but it was curious so I kept it and promptly forgot about it. As I remember, it was located in a random spot deep in the woods not near any inhabited structure. Years later while cleaning out an old box in my parents house I came across it again. It looks kind of like a mortor but I'm just making an uneducated guess. Does anyone here have an idea?

rock1.JPG

rock2.JPG

Upvote 0
OP
OP
O

oldgun

Mar 29, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's possible as there are a lot of rocks in the area that were formed in the hollow of dead trees millions of years ago which isn't really petrified wood but gives the appearance of wood grain. However, I don't think that has anything to do with the groove in the center. While the stone is about what you'd expect from naturally occurring lithification, the groove in the center is smooth and worn like it was shaped artificially.

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks more like a fossil fell out.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread