Walking a creek today in Maine. My dad and I think this is an abrader maybe?

Valloy123

May 26, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
90BA4983-9662-4F15-A811-02D423ABC87C.jpeg 05FDCB4B-1DBC-492F-B29F-725C20A7C3CA.jpeg

Also has a small inline indentation on the backside that is nowhere near as prominent as the one on the face, but it is noticeable.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
V

Valloy123

May 26, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We were thinking natural erosion at first, but the nearly perfectly circular divot makes it sure seem man made. (It’s hard to get a picture showing how circular it is) I’ll try to get some better pictures. Thanks for the response!

OP
OP
V

Valloy123

May 26, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1B9600F2-32D4-47E2-8CA8-DCDB82F72827.jpeg

Here’s a much closer and better picture of the divot :)

Greg Lafla

May 30, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wouldn't take their word for it if you think it's an artifact, and you obviously do, it probably is. You won't ever really see the tool marks in pics,your eyes are gonna be the best judge.

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
I wouldn't take their word for it if you think it's an artifact, and you obviously do, it probably is. You won't ever really see the tool marks in pics,your eyes are gonna be the best judge.

Are you serious?

What is it about that rock says, I am an artifact, to you?

Last edited:

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes, let your imagination be the judge and discount the opinions of people that have collected Native American artifacts all their lives from areas rich in Native American culture. Gary

Greg Lafla

May 30, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did he claim to be holding a Clovis artifact. No he thinks it's man made and until you hold it in your hand and observe with your eyes it's form and function I think he's a better judge. Just because it isn't pictured in Clark's fith revision of squibnocket triangles of the northeast doesn't prove to me it's not an artifact. I bet it was fits in your hand like a glove and shows obvious function when held.

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You didn't just say "it fits your hand"?? lol

Anyone who has collected for almost their entire lives can see that is not an artifact. Look at the close up picture. You can see the rough ridges of something eroding in there. Not the grind marks and polishing you would see in an Abrader. If you wish to deride us at least use something other than the "it fits the hand" hypothesis.

Greg Lafla

May 30, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Anyone who has collected for almost their entire lives can see that is not an artifact. Look at the close up picture. You can see the rough ridges of something eroding in there. Not the grind marks and polishing you would see in an Abrader. If you wish to deride us at least use something other than the "it fits the hand" hypothesis.

Too bad I imagine you've walked right past so many cool things in those long years. Why is the study of history so close minded none of us were here we don't know what really went on no matter what some book tries to tell you just theories given the best evidence to date.

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
Too bad I imagine you've walked right past so many cool things in those long years. Why is the study of history so close minded none of us were here we don't know what really went on no matter what some book tries to tell you just theories given the best evidence to date.

LOL, I'd bet you a bundle he hasn't. You don't know any of us well enough to have a clue what we may know let alone what someone may have walked or crawled passed.

Them hands we've been blessed with are pretty amazing, one way or another, they can grip all kinds of shapes and forms comfortably. Fitting the hand is not a factor in determining an artifact, especially something as natural as the piece in question is.

So what says I am an artifact to you about that piece besides it probably fits the hand?

Greg Lafla

May 30, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Too bad I imagine you've walked right past so many cool things in those long years. Why is the study of history so close minded none of us were here we don't know what really went on no matter what some book tries to tell you just theories given the best evidence to date. Clovis first is like flat earth theory, people will laugh about it someday.

Greg Lafla

May 30, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Honestly nothing I can't tell for sure from a pic it could be natural, besides the point really. I don't know ant of you so hence the reluctance to believe your opinion on one pic as the final verdict. If I'm not banned for life from the forums later I'll post some more pics of non-artifacts for you all to laugh at. I hope you realize I don't mean to deride or personally attack just to argue my side.

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Too bad I imagine you've walked right past so many cool things in those long years. Why is the study of history so close minded none of us were here we don't know what really went on no matter what some book tries to tell you just theories given the best evidence to date. Clovis first is like flat earth theory, people will laugh about it someday.

FWIW, not much in my opinion, Flat Earth theory is enjoying its greatest resurgence, no doubt due in part to the overall decline in trust in authority in many realms. They had their first American conference last year, and the second one later this year. First Flat Earth conference in Great Britain recently.

As for Clovis first, only a few holdouts now. Rather then laugh, likely to be judged as mistaken. Science, after all, if it is science, is self correcting. That's the way good science works, no matter how arrogant the supporters of theories destined to be supplanted, can be at times. Only a couple hundred years ago, scientists did laugh at folks saying they had seen stones fall from the sky. But, eventually meteorites were recognized as stones that fell from the sky. Good science is self correcting.

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
Honestly nothing I can't tell for sure from a pic it could be natural, besides the point really. I don't know ant of you so hence the reluctance to believe your opinion on one pic as the final verdict. If I'm not banned for life from the forums later I'll post some more pics of non-artifacts for you all to laugh at. I hope you realize I don't mean to deride or personally attack just to argue my side

Ummm, there were more than one pic.

Now why would you want to post non-artifacts here? We get enough good laughs already.

Please, just post artifacts and or things you suspect ARE artifacts, and you won’t have to worry about a forced vacation.

Last edited by a moderator:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions