Opinions on Neolithic / slave killer axe. Modern or real?

longbowdude

Tenderfoot
Feb 1, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• axe.jpg
    axe.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 305
Upvote 0

arrow86

Silver Member
May 6, 2014
Eastern Shore Maryland
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just based on never seeing anything like that before it would make me worried .... the seller didn’t provide any info ?

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It does look like what is called a slave killer but with out seeing it first hand or a lot better pictures it is impossible to tell if it is real or fake. I would never buy it sight unseen myself..... Just my opinion.

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Where is it from? What is the material? What size is it? Hard to tell anything from just one picture but my gut says stay away.

welsbury

Bronze Member
Jan 25, 2010
Eastern oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are slave killers found on the Columbia River that look similar to that one,but that one doesn't look old.

AlabamaRelic

Jul 2, 2009
NW Alabama
Detector(s) used
Ace 250

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
well, it is a classic slave killer. If it is real it is worth a small fortune. We can't athenticate it here but you do need it looked at by a professional.

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
Monolithic (spellcheck likes to change to Neolithic) “slave killer” axe or club.

I’ve handled a few authentic examples over the years in museum collections, and my first impression is that yours is a more recent copy. Hard to say why exactly, but it looks “faceted” like you get with cut stone and grinders.

The tricky part about those clubs is many weren’t buried, they were handed down and then sold/obtained. They usually won’t have typical patina and deposits. Your average authenticator looking for the right deposits should kill it. Provenance and pictures are the best way to identify them. (Show that they were around in the 1920’s.)

Your best bet in Ohio is to send it to Bennett’s and ask them to look for modern grinding marks. A lack of patina, or greasy patina might be right for old examples and be red flags for other relics. Also identify the material, there are only a couple of types of correct options for those.

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
....and get back to us and let us know too....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread