Copper Spear Point Found

Fingerlakes119

Aug 16, 2013
Finger Lakes Region Of NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Profind
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have not posted much lately but this find seemed worthy. I was metal detecting and found this copper spear point. It looks to be an actual native american artifact. I found it near one of the finger lakes in upstate NY. Anyone have any info on these?

Thanks Fingerlakes119

spear point.jpg

copper spear info.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

captain redbeard

Mar 19, 2015
Cayuga county, New York
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70, garrett pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
3000 to 5000 year old artifact.... heck yeah, that's incredible

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
That's insane! Such a rare find, even better than finding a big gold coin! I don't recommend donating it, as it will likely not be put on display, but I do recommend putting it on loan if you really want other people to see it, but still want it to belong to you. Incredible to see something thousands of years old dug with a metal detector in the US! Again, what an amazing find, happy to see it on the top!!

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That us a great copper blade, I totally agree with SnakemanBill and Charl, I would not donate it to a Museum, I had friend who worked in Univ that boxes and boxes of artifacts that stayed in storage rooms. Keep it as 2nd display in your home and more people will see and appreciate it than donating it to most museums..I

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow!!
Excellent example of a Barbed-Base Point.
One of the nicest ones I’ve seen in a long while.
Whatever you do, don’t clean it any more than you have. . . Excellent recovery.

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
An amazing and historical find, congrats on achieving your first BANNER on Tnet too! :occasion14:

I think your thoughts of donating this piece to a museum would be a great idea. :thumbsup:

Dave

redbeardrelics

Jan 3, 2014
Maryland's Eastern Shore
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500, (Ace 250 spare)
Primary Interest:
Other
Awesome find, congratulations ! I would also suggest that if you would like it to be seen and appreciated by those folks who would appreciate such things, then personally taking it to local prehistoric artifacts shows and showing it off would be the best way to start. At those shows, especially if you visit some further within the center of the copper culture region, you will see other examples possessed by people who specialize in such artifacts, and you can best evaluate how your example stacks up against other examples that have been found. At such shows you will probably receive offers from people wishing to buy it from you, and you can determine what the monetary value of that piece is. If you wish to have it shown in a museum, then a loan rather than a donation will allow you to repossess the piece, if you ever visit the museum and see that it is not on display for people to see as you wish.

P.ALLEN

Jun 8, 2017
A2 Michigan
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Tesoro Compadre, Ace 250, CMS magnetics, Garrett pinpointer, Fiskars trenching spade.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats Metah!

NEPA History

Apr 12, 2018
Wyoming Valley, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As far as donating to the museum, I have a little experience with this. As most have suggested, I probably wouldn't do that. They're right, it probably would never get displayed and nobody except research archaeologists would ever see it. I think you should take some detailed photos of it and contact the New York State Archaeologist. Let them know what you found and send the pictures to them. I would keep it in a display case by itself. If they ask you to donate it ( they probably will), just politely decline and tell them that they are welcome to come to you if they wish to examine it. Just my opinion but I think I would keep it instead of it going to a drawer in a back room of a museum. It's up to you of course, but I would make the archaeological community aware of it but would retain ownership. Also, it's safe to give them a detailed location of the find, they may want to survey the area to find out if there is a significant site there, but it will be kept confidential..they don't want someone digging up the site and destroying it. Good luck with whatever you decide to do, just thought I'd offer my opinion..and again, fantastic find! Good luck on your next hunt!

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
After I read about a high school student that was employed by the IL State Museum as a janitor getting caught selling samurai swords out the back door of the place, I decided donating anything to a museum was not a good idea. Gary

Last edited:

newnan man

Gold Member
Aug 8, 2005
Beautiful Florida
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Fantastic find and congrats on the banner. Keep it. Your heirs can always donate it after your gone. In the mean time you get to show it off & relive your find time after time.

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found out through a friend that was able, through his love for research of history that, locked up in the basement are unbelievable artifacts at the Ocmulgee Mounds in Macon, Ga. When they found out that he also collected, he was no longer welcome in their inner sanctum. On display however, are the same dull displays of second-rate artifacts (compared to what was found) that were there when I visited 25 years ago. Then there's the museum at UGA which houses a 4.5 million piece collection of ain't no telling, because you have to be a certified archeaologist or high-level dignitary to view it. The rest of us must know our places, that being to subsidize its curation with our tax dollars and nothing more.

As someone mentioned, displaying it at artifact shows would be far more appreciated by those that truly love things of this nature.

choo

Jul 31, 2009
Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the banner! That is a one fine artifact you have there! On donating it to a museum I wouldn't most of the American Indian artifacts are across the ocean in England in museums packed up to never be seen or enjoyed! I would get me a nice wooden case for it & displayit by itself!

aka da Prof

Jan 18, 2009
Finger Lakes, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
Garret Freedom One / Fisher 1280X / Beach Bully sand scoop/ Garret ProPin Pointer/Garret AT pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
!!! Yes, Sir !!! I'm in Lodi, on Seneca Lake, the only copper I have found is a 'copper snot' about an inch long. it was in the middle of a field that is located next to 300 year old white oak tree. My friend found a pottery shard in the adjacent stream. I have always wondered if there are copper points out here-- now I know !!- dang the first snow just fell---- da Prof

arrow86

Silver Member
May 6, 2014
Eastern Shore Maryland
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the banner! That is a one fine artifact you have there! On donating it to a museum I wouldn't most of the American Indian artifacts are across the ocean in England in museums packed up to never be seen or enjoyed! I would get me a nice wooden case for it & displayit by itself!

Why do they send so many overseas? Seems odd if found in the states they send it off

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think you should PM me......a fellow central New Yorker, Cayuga County......and tell me *exactly* where you found it.:hello2:

I second that notion from Allegany county :laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread