Decatur Point

dognose

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2009
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
I have found three Decatur points over the past years.

This one, while broke, has the most amazing flaking and symmetry.

Made of Harrison County Flint, I found this in the winter of 1985.
harrison_county_decatur_3.jpg

This show the basal flaking well

harrison_county_decatur_2.jpg

This is the break area, while it appears "relatively" recent, I have not found the other sections.

harrison_county_decatur_1.jpg

Upvote 0

Tony in SC

Gold Member
Jun 8, 2006
Upstate South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites, Minelab, Tesoro, and custom machines
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Really nice piece!! Dumb question, is the small base standard for that type point?

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That material is really cool. And what a heartbreaker.

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is such a cool and unique point type and yours is such a great example of one. The removal of those flakes on the base had to take some skills, for sure, not to mention that long ribbon-like flake from the left barb travelling up and to the right over halfway across the point. Hellacious!

Last edited:
OP
OP
dognose

dognose

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2009
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
The decatur point typically has that sort of base, which is fractured. You also hear them referenced to as a fracture base point. The fracture is accomplished by a blow inward from each corner of the stem. You also hear them referenced to as a fracture base point.
The fractured accomplished by a blow inward from each corner of the stem.

This decatur is made from a high grade harrison county flint, also known as wyandotte chert - one of my favorite material. It obtains a nice chocolate to tan patina over time. Look closely at the barbs and the shape/form of them. Similar to a ross point.

harrison_county_decatur_base1.jpg

harrison_county_decatur_base2.jpg

In the past I have found two points made of harrison county flint close to each other, one patina'ed a nice tan, while the other, right next to it has no patina. strange.

Also I have found points made of harrison county flint where only one side has patina'ed tan and the other still looking more natural as if recently knapped.

Cant explain why other than possibly minerals in the earth altering differently on a microscopic level.

Decature and Ross points are not a common find. I have only found 4 in 50 years. This one being the bast workmanship, even while broken. The others are more complete examples.

justonemore

Oct 31, 2011
Indiana
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
An unusual point with the base being so small. Would like to see how they hafted these. I have yet to find one on this end of the state.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread