niffler

Mar 19, 2008
Coos Bay, Oregon
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 900, DFX, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Killer B Hornets, Stealth 720i scoop
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My mother found this a few years ago in Idaho. I think it is made from red rhyolite or some kind of volcanic rock. Anyone have any idea what it is? Resized_20190426_081557.jpg Resized_20190426_081510.jpg Resized_20190426_081615.jpg

Upvote 0

SportsmanAll

Mar 21, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a bi-face to me. Used as a core. to percussion flake off tools and such. Awesome find for sure.

Rege-PA

Jul 13, 2007
Looks like a bi-face to me. Used as a core. to percussion flake off tools and such. Awesome find for sure.

I agree, paleo biface, kind of like a traveling tool kit that was used to strike off needed items, spear points, spoke shaves, scrapers. Paleo hunters frequently traveled long distances and needed to have desirable flaking material available at all times, so they took it with them. Nice find!

MAMucker

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2019
Massachusetts
Primary Interest:
Other
Beautiful!
Is the white coating a patina or is it in need of a wash? I’d love to see that red color clearly. Be gentle if you do give it a little cleaning though.

Side note, I’m not sure what to think about that thirteen inch ruler.

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting find.

The ruler is a yard stick that has been cut down after being broken over some kid's butt.

OP
OP
niffler

niffler

Mar 19, 2008
Coos Bay, Oregon
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 900, DFX, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Killer B Hornets, Stealth 720i scoop
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the ideas everyone. My mom never bothered to wash it. I don't know the weight but it's at least a pound or two. The piece in the background is part of a similar but broken blade that she found at the same time, but is just the one end that was broken off. Yes, the yardstick was probably busted whipping me or my brothers. We grew up like feral children in the woods.

gilmerman

Dec 31, 2006
Central South East
This might be a hoe or digging tool. I have one, my son gave me, that is similar. It's quarts material. It was found in an old field next to an 1800's mountain house place.

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
Niffler, I’d love to see more pictures. If your mom remembers exactly where she found them, you should go se if more are still there.

It could be a Clovis biface cache, Idaho is a hot spot for them. Most aren’t finished points, the Busse Cache is an example.

Check out this link or google the Busse Cache.
Clovis caches

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When you posted big I think you meant huge what a wonderful find.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread