RustyRelics

Gold Member
Apr 5, 2019
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600/Ancient Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I found this two days ago on the Ohio river. This particular rock caught my eye because of the shape. No other stone looked like it. The color was slightly off too. I would call it a mano or grinder if I found it someplace else, but I found it on the river and I think it's just a river rock. I am not sure. What do y'all think?

DSC_0799.jpg

DSC_0801.jpg

DSC_0802.jpg

DSC_0803.jpg

Matate found in Schuylkill county PA.

Upvote 0

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
pulling stuff like that out of the river is problematic.....

filmiracl

Nov 13, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I concur. As someone who hunts rivers exclusively, I can go down there right now and pick up a million rocks identical to the original poster's find... with the same apparent "pecking" and/or "use wear." If it is found in a field elsewhere, maybe that's a little different. I'm inclined to say it's just a river rock in this case.

pulling stuff like that out of the river is problematic.....

OP
OP
RustyRelics

RustyRelics

Gold Member
Apr 5, 2019
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600/Ancient Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I think it's just a river rock myself, but I'm just making sure.

Toecutter

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2018
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I concur. As someone who hunts rivers exclusively, I can go down there right now and pick up a million rocks identical to the original poster's find... with the same apparent "pecking" and/or "use wear." If it is found in a field elsewhere, maybe that's a little different. I'm inclined to say it's just a river rock in this case.

People say the same about field stone here in Michigan and I get what your saying but its not often I find a stone with the dynamics of Matate, with that said I challenge you to do just that go out a grab one of those and lets compare...

Huzzah!

Mar 16, 2019
Old Virginny
Detector(s) used
AT MAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with Uncle and filmiracl, but I don't blame you for picking it up. While it's an interesting piece, the detail looks similar and evenly worn all over the stone and I would think twice being that it was found in a river.

Toecutter, do you have any examples of a confirmed metate that resembles this over-all evenness of wear? I'm not seeing anything that makes me want to change my mind.

filmiracl

Nov 13, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
People say the same about field stone here in Michigan and I get what your saying but its not often I find a stone with the dynamics of Matate, with that said I challenge you to do just that go out a grab one of those and lets compare...

I don't accept your challenge because I am not going down there any time soon... but if you're interested, have at it! :laughing7:

trf_2_orig.jpg

Toecutter

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2018
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nope lol i see your point, thanks for sharing...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread