Where to get your own Flint Ridge, Ohio, Flint...Smokeythecat's public service notice

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Want flint? Want it cheap? Want it now? Want some artifacts also? Ok. So here's what you do. It took me a long time to realize you could still LEGALLY collect your own.

The site is several miles west of Zanesville, Ohio and is open to the public year round, weather permitting. It is PRIVATE PROPERTY.

Take Route 40 West toward Columbus. After you leave Zanesville, turn right on Hopewell Road North

Left on Flint Ridge Road.

At “diamond” shape in road, go to right to stay on Flint Ridge Road. Go about 2 miles, I didn't pay close attention to the mileage.

It's a square white 2 story house on the right side of the road at the top of a little rise. Big cornfield on approach side (east) of the house, corn right now is 7' tall. There is a garage just as you get to the house. There is a long outbuilding just past the house and a blue porta potty on the corner facing the street. On the other side of the road is a section of woods with a tire wheel dirt road there. That is the entrance to the Indian quarries. The drive is gravel. Black mailbox. Ms. Nethers charges $7.50 admission and 50 cents a pound. Well worth it. You will freak out. You will freak out as you step out of the vehicle and the flint crunches under your feet! She is an awesome lady if you get to meet her. Bring cash. Someone is normally there all the time but she has an honor system if she's not home, you can still dig.

Also check out the oil wells in the neighborhood!

This ends the public service announcement.

Upvote 0

Jon Stewart

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2011
When did she start charging admission? I go there every year on Labor Day for the Flintridge knap in and she has never charged us an entry fee. Just the 50 cents a pound for rock. If you do go on Labor day a local usually brings a front end loader down and digs new spots for rock hounds to gather rock. I sat on her porch with her more than once to visit with her. she is a great lady.

RustyRelics

Gold Member
Apr 5, 2019
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600/Ancient Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I really want to go to the Flint Ridge knap-in, but I can't afford the thought of some of the stuff there. If somebody would just by a bottle or two I could do it.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
She charged this time last year. Read the little hand written note in the plastic sleeve. She takes your word for the amount owed and doesn't count your change. You may have missed it. I was there most weekends last August and for the fall knapp in. It was like that then.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rusty relics, you can get it cheaper at her farm.

RustyRelics

Gold Member
Apr 5, 2019
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Rusty relics, you can get it cheaper at her farm.

True, but I was also looking for some Hornstone, and cheap bulk Obsidian. What I should really do, is get all the Carter Cave chert I have lying around, and sell a few pieces.

DSC_0839.jpg

This is a point I made with the chert I have lying around.

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you want the good Flintridge contact Roy Miller. He lives on the ridge and attends all the knap-ins. He has a back-hoe and does free back hoe work for locals in exchange for the flint he digs up. He has the market cornered for the high quality material. Gary

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's the pictures from this weekend's finds. I also go off the beaten paths for some of it.

DSCN0464.JPG DSCN0465.JPG DSCN0465.JPG DSCN0466.JPG DSCN0469.JPG DSCN0463.JPG

These are just a few examples. I have 20x this amount of material. I already gave some to a friend. There are points, knives, lots of knives, cores, DSCN0467.JPG and these cores, the big ones are probably paleo or early archaic, the later cores were smaller, flake knives and others.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ToddsPoint, I met Mr. Miller last year. Nice guy. His daughter was helping him at the knapp in. Lots of nice stuff there. His finished points are quite expensive. I checked his website yesterday and didn't see anything for sale. (I could have missed it.) You can find his stuff for sale on Ebay also.

RustyRelics, sound like you flint knapp. I tried it...and failed.

RustyRelics

Gold Member
Apr 5, 2019
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
smokeythecat;6255911 RustyRelics said:
I have been doing it for about a year now.

DSC_0717.jpg DSC_0719.jpg DSC_0978.jpg

The ones with the numbers on them are for sale.

RustyRelics

Gold Member
Apr 5, 2019
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I never like anything I make, because I always know I could do better. Here is one I broke while notching this morning.

DSC_0088.jpg

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
arrow86, everything was on top of the ground or "stuck" visible on top and I had to pry it out.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread