Stone Prayers

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'm dedicating this thread to Fred250, because I know from many previous comments that the subject matter interests him. (So Fred, even though for some bizarre reason you seem to believe I'm promoting "the peopling of the Americas" conspiracy theories, this thread's for you, lol...)

This may be of interest to folks living in Eastern seaboard States. It involves a debate, currently raging, regarding the origin of certain stone structures, especially prevelant in the Northeast. These structures include carefully constructed conical stone cairns, larger cairns known as platform cairns, short stone walls not constructed as enclosures, but resembling effigies like snakes, stone chambers built into the sides of hills, and balanced or perched boulders, sometimes resembling the stone dolmens of megalithic cultures in the Old World.

For much of its existence, this debate pitted two broad ideas: these stone mnuments(minus the perched boulders, many of which are Post glacial formations formed naturally) are the result of colonial settler activity, the stone mounds resulting from clearing fields, for instance vs. these monuments were the product of a megalithic culture from across the pond. This latter theory was carried almost exclusively by amateurs, such as organizations like the New England Antiquities Research Association(Neara). During the 70's and 80's, I served as the research director of the RI chapter of Neara. My team produced the first plane table survey, anywhere in the Northeast, of a large field of well made conical cairns at a site in western RI. If I ever bought into the "megalithic builders from Europe" theory, it was for a very short time.

A huge shift in the debate occurred with the publication of this book, which claimed the stone structures were the product of prehistoric Native American activity, which was then pitted against the colonial and post colonial settler theory:

https://www.amazon.com/Manitou-Sacred-Landscape-Englands-Civilization/dp/0892810785

This Neara page provides a sampling of articles written in support of the Native American origin for many of these stone structures:

https://www.neara.org/articles.pdf

Other portions of the East entered the fray, such as these stone mounds in Alabama:

https://www.newswire.com/news/thous...ounds-recently-discovered-in-alabama-19593273

AP Magazine

An interesting hillside cairn site in Pennsylvania:

The mysterious stone cairns of Susquehanna County - Adverbly: Fine Browsing, Hand Delivered to Your Internet Viewing Screen

Some professional historians working in New England made efforts to distinguish Native from settler stone structures:

Stone Structures of Northeastern United States

One stone chamber in Massachusetts, the Upton chamber, yielded dates suggesting a pre-colonial origin:

https://www.uptonma.gov/sites/uptonma/files/uploads/upton_stone_chamber_-_preliminary_findings.pdf

Most recently, there have been two major developments. 24 tribes(now 25), ranging from Maine to Texas, banded together and passed resolutions in which they claimed their oral traditions tied their people to these very stone structures being debated. You can see all the resolutions they passed at this page:

http://www.larryharrop.com/uset/

The Narragansett of RI were leaders in this effort, and one result of that effort to claim and identify what they termed "sacred ceremonial landscapes" was the protection of a site in Turner's Falls, Ma., on the Ct. River:

https://www.nps.gov/nr/publications/guidance/TurnerFallsDOEDecision-Redacted.pdf

Even though most area archaeologists supported the settler field clearing theory, one local historical society sided with the Narragansett and helped them preserve and dedicate one such sacred landscape. Of particular interest at this link is the YouTube video of the talk delivered at the dedication by Narragansett historical preservation officer D. Harris. Mr. Harris was the driving force behind the preservation of the Turner's Falls scared landscape site:

Manitou Hassannash Preserve ? Hopkinton Historical Association

Apart from the development of Native American cultural claims to these sites, the second recent major development has been the backing of the Native American cultural claims by some regional professional archaeologists. One such individual is Dr. Curtiss Hoffman, who is the editor of the journal of the Massachusetts Archaeological Society, and the publication of his book "Stone Prayers". Below I have reproduced the front and back cover, the back cover describing the 4 theories Hoffman examined. A link to Hoffman's new book:

https://www.amazon.com/Stone-Prayers-American-Constructions-Seaboard/dp/1634990498

Here's the front and back covers of Hoffman's groundbreaking study. I've just started reading, so can't review it just yet. The back cover lists the 4 model he examined....

IMG_3562.JPG

IMG_3563.JPG

As noted, back in the late 70's, my Neara team produced the first plane table survey of a conical cairn field in the Northeast. We found no pattern, such as astronomical alignments. Here we see the late geomorpholgist Dr. John Fisher, and his wife. Dr. Fisher had the needed experience with a plane table. If this is field clearing, it's not the usual "just toss the rocks in a pile". These are all well made conical stone cairns.

IMG_3567.jpg

Nearby, here are two so-called platform mounds. Notice the two trianguloid or tombstone shaped stones propped against the mounds. These are known as "Manitou Stones", and have been found at dozens of platform cairn sites in the Northeast. If this were farmer field clearing activity, why would a farmer be erecting such stones?

First two photos show one platform cairn. I'm standing there for scale:

IMG_3564.PNG

IMG_3565.jpg

Here is a very large platform cairn. I'm standing for scale in the b/w photo. Note the Manitou stone, which is pointing due North in this example:

IMG_3566.PNG

Anyway, just thought folks on the East coast might like to know this debate on the origin of these stone mounds and other stone constructs has entered a new stage.....

There has long been a bias on the part of American archaeologists that Native Americans in the Northeast did not build in stone. While sites like Queen's Fort, in Exeter, RI, and the Archaic period Flagg rock shelter in Ma., disprove that bias, this current debate is somewhat acrimonious, and it's ultimate resolution is unknown...

Last edited:
Upvote 0

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool information. This reminds me a place on a hillside just east of Aberdeen Ohio along Rt 52. Going right up the peak of a hill from the bottom to the top is a stack of perfectly placed stones about 3 or 4 feet high and probably 100+ yards long. It sticks out like a sore thumb in the winter as you drive by. I had pictures at one time and will try to get some the next time I'm down that way.

Hillbilly Prince

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2018
SW Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett All Terrain Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is there any record of Europeans finding these cairns already in place as they moved into areas?
Why, and when, did the NA decide these things were NA related? Is there any oral history among tribes mentioning these objects?
Has anyone ever dug beneath one of these cairns? Found other evidence of the supposed builders near these cairns?
Sometimes a pile of rocks is just a pile of rocks. Perhaps some farmers were tidy and creative in clearing fields. On the other hand, back then life was never-ending work. Can't imagine settlers doing a lot of work without purpose.
This all new to me- no dog in the hunt. In this area rocks multiply overnight. Some people throw them in a pile.
People get odd notions and create things for their own sake.
I think it is good to be cautious about proclaiming every pile of rocks, orderly or not, and every odd feature of land to be done by ancient people.
By the way, why call these "Stone Prayers?" Who decided that designation?
Very interesting topic!

Last edited:

Fred250

Jun 30, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is an interesting video of a presentation by a local researcher of this subject.
Circles in Stone:Art and geometry of the stone people

Sorry, link won’t work, never mind.

Last edited:

Quartzite Keith

Dec 17, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know that this adds much, but a couple of reference from the early Jamestown settlers at least show that the Powhatan (an Algonquin people) used some kind of stone altars:

From John smith:
"They have also certain altar stones they call pawcorances... and wilderness, where they have had any extraordinary accident or encounter, and as you travel, at these stones they will tell you the cause why they were erected, which from age to age they instruct their children as best records of antiquities. Upon these they offer blood, deer suet..."

William Strachey:
"They have certain altar stones which they call pawcorances, but those stand from temples, some by houses, others in the woods and wilderness. Upon these they offer blood, deer suet, and tobacco, and that when they return safe from wars, luckily from hunting, and upon many occasions."

OP
OP
Charl

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Is there any record of Europeans finding these cairns already in place as they moved into areas?
Why, and when, did the NA decide these things were NA related? Is there any oral history among tribes mentioning these objects?
Has anyone ever dug beneath one of these cairns? Found other evidence of the supposed builders near these cairns?
Sometimes a pile of rocks is just a pile of rocks. Perhaps some farmers were tidy and creative in clearing fields. On the other hand, back then life was never-ending work. Can't imagine settlers doing a lot of work without purpose.
This all new to me- no dog in the hunt. In this area rocks multiply overnight. Some people throw them in a pile.
People get odd notions and create things for their own sake.
I think it is good to be cautious about proclaiming every pile of rocks, orderly or not, and every odd feature of land to be done by ancient people.
By the way, why call these "Stone Prayers?" Who decided that designation?
Very interesting topic!

Yes, there is documentary evidence of English settlers in New England mentioning natives creating stone cairns, and Hoffman marshals that evidence, but I am only just starting his book. Roger Williams also mentions sweat lodges built into hillsides which may indicate some of the known stone chambers. Yes, there is oral history, but I am not as privy to that as I would like. There is more sharing of this oral history at the moment, but, in general, surviving tribes in southern New England have long been very secretive when it comes to sharing anything with the dominant culture. Although some of the sites I recorded are part of Hoffman's inventory, my intense involvement was years ago, prior to many recent developments, specifically the involvement by local tribes. The term "stone Prayers", sorry, I forget the specific Narragansett word for that, originated with the tribes. As far as digs, I am not at liberty to discuss specifics that I am aware of, due to concerns for protecting the sites involved. Yes, I have not rejected the field clearing theory. Reproduced in the photo below is part of an article I wrote in 1978 on the conical cairn field seen in my earlier photos, which we surveyed. Just to give an idea on how careful the construction was. Would farmers, and these were sheep farmers, not agriculture, go to this much trouble? Unknown at this time, but, as mentioned, most area archaeologists regard most cairn sites as reflecting settler activity....

IMG_3568.JPG

OP
OP
Charl

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I don't know that this adds much, but a couple of reference from the early Jamestown settlers at least show that the Powhatan (an Algonquin people) used some kind of stone altars:

From John smith:
"They have also certain altar stones they call pawcorances... and wilderness, where they have had any extraordinary accident or encounter, and as you travel, at these stones they will tell you the cause why they were erected, which from age to age they instruct their children as best records of antiquities. Upon these they offer blood, deer suet..."

William Strachey:
"They have certain altar stones which they call pawcorances, but those stand from temples, some by houses, others in the woods and wilderness. Upon these they offer blood, deer suet, and tobacco, and that when they return safe from wars, luckily from hunting, and upon many occasions."

Thanks, yes, Hoffman includes these early observations and the native term pawcorances.

Quartzite Keith

Dec 17, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, yes, Hoffman includes these early observations and the native term pawcorances.

Is there any mention in the area you are working of sacrifices made on the "altars"? Probably a wacky idea, but if they are testing Clovis points for blood residue, couldn't a rock pile be tested for some residue of blood, fat, or tobacco? Wouldn't be definitive either way, but if found, good circumstantial evidence. (Easy to be an arm chair quarter back.)

OP
OP
Charl

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Is there any mention in the area you are working of sacrifices made on the "altars"? Probably a wacky idea, but if they are testing Clovis points for blood residue, couldn't a rock pile be tested for some residue of blood, fat, or tobacco? Wouldn't be definitive either way, but if found, good circumstantial evidence. (Easy to be an arm chair quarter back.)

Well, not that I know of. I am still a member in good standing with Neara, and Neara and local tribal groups like the Narragansett are working closely together to identify and protect sites. But much of what has happened to alter the debate in recent years, namely the direct involvement of the tribes, and the open support of the tribal perspective by certain historians, like James Gage, whose website I linked to above, and archaeologists like Curtiss Hoffman, caught me by surprise. It was like "oh, look, many of the sites we recorded in the 70's and 80's are suddenly at the center of a heated debate". Back in the day, I was a very vocal devil's advocate where the megalith builders theory was concerned, and, for various reasons, our local RI Neara chapter grew much less active. People moved away, deaths and medical issues intruded. So I am in the position of trying to catch up with this debate myself. Very recently, I arranged to have a digital record made, by Neara, of the site we surveyed in western RI so many decades ago. If I get a better answer to your question, I'll update this thread. I spoke at a Neara conference a couple of years ago, and I've been informed our next conference will be held here in RI again. But I'm still in "well I'll be darned" mode, and there is much catching up needed on my own part.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
What fun...
There were archaeological digs in natural stone structures (slabs ect.) on /near the East coast that showed periodic habitation (hints of such being seasonally) over the course of periods.
To my vivid imagination and speculation , that places value on secure permanent structures at times.
Duplicating ,or at least recognizing the benefit of caves and outcrops and even random but sheltering stone by building a structure where none existed that were suitable is not that great a stretch.

Carbon tells of use. Dating can help . But relics in layers can tell much too. Where they exist anyways...

Manitou's were "real" to those in regions across the country.

Cairns are a human endeavor about as far back as humans. With varied uses from covering something to protect it , to being a landmark.

Of interest nearer me in the Midwest are peeks below water where the great lakes were lower during archaic times.
Rooted timber stumps are pretty solid evidence of water levels at one time. Hard to debate dry ground at one time.

I have not confirmed peer reviews of claims of natives creating "brush" fences and corrals on land for funneling game..
Strategic fencing could prove of benefit today still. Was/is the labor worth it?

When the theory of multiple generations being involved on hunting/game acquiring seasonal sites , funneling cervids can be imagined as being of benefit.
As well as structure to break up a hunters outline. And break the wind.

https://www.pnas.org/content/106/25/10120

Hillbilly Prince

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2018
SW Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett All Terrain Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What fun...
There were archaeological digs in natural stone structures (slabs ect.) on /near the East coast that showed periodic habitation (hints of such being seasonally) over the course of periods.
To my vivid imagination and speculation , that places value on secure permanent structures at times.
Duplicating ,or at least recognizing the benefit of caves and outcrops and even random but sheltering stone by building a structure where none existed that were suitable is not that great a stretch.

Carbon tells of use. Dating can help . But relics in layers can tell much too. Where they exist anyways...

Manitou's were "real" to those in regions across the country.

Cairns are a human endeavor about as far back as humans. With varied uses from covering something to protect it , to being a landmark.

Of interest nearer me in the Midwest are peeks below water where the great lakes were lower during archaic times.
Rooted timber stumps are pretty solid evidence of water levels at one time. Hard to debate dry ground at one time.

I have not confirmed peer reviews of claims of natives creating "brush" fences and corrals on land for funneling game..
Strategic fencing could prove of benefit today still. Was/is the labor worth it?

When the theory of multiple generations being involved on hunting/game acquiring seasonal sites , funneling cervids can be imagined as being of benefit.
As well as structure to break up a hunters outline. And break the wind.

https://www.pnas.org/content/106/25/10120

Thanks for sending me down that rabbit hole, Relevant:)
Few years ago I came across a story of a fellow who was on a river and looked down to see tje outline of an ancient birchbark canoe in the river bottom. But I can't find anything on it now.
I wonder if there are similiar cairns in the Old World which might help identify which cairns and structures are native and which might be from settlers.

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Per Lucy Thompson (Tribal Historian, Klamath River Indian)
Tradition says that there was an ancient race of people already here when their tribe migrated to their present location.
Here is what she had to say about stone monuments (in Northern California)...

3FCD31C6-15A4-471D-8BFC-9E7153ABD6A8.jpeg
31038CA2-1B68-47BF-92BB-85BCD7C142E3.jpeg
ED56646F-8F7D-4A33-AD37-530DD54C48D3.jpeg

Take it for what it is.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread