Freemindedclark

Sep 18, 2017
Elliott Iowa
Detector(s) used
The Hubble telescope
Primary Interest:
Other
Pictures of artifacts please

I am starting this thread in the hopes that the members of this forum will flood it with pictures of all the various artifacts they have found and or collected over time. I figured this thread could provide novice hunters and collectors with a vast wealth from which to learn from and compare to.

I thank you all for helping further my education as well as others.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

MosesOfTheSouth

Apr 4, 2014
in my mind/wilds of,tn
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Think I would have had a heart attack finding one Benton like that can’t imagine 3 .... everything in those frames is killer .... what do you put on the points to get them to show flaking so well and shine like that ? ( mineral oil??)
that was pretty much the case with the bentons. not a find i could likely ever repeat in a couple lifetimes. all stacked together.... the other side of them is covered in a black calcification/Caliche that isn't removable without some type of chemical treatment. i don't think that me taking it off would be appropriate. sometimes seems like an artifact/s find the person. the things seen on the path too, and found really blow me away as the collection grows. haven't been hunting near long as some of the grey beards on here. thank you for the kind words though. some of the shine is from handling, some from the flint/chert type or find location. i used to use mineral oil but gave that up a long time back when the bottle ran out. just rub them on the forehead or wash them off in mouth,

Last edited:

MosesOfTheSouth

Apr 4, 2014
in my mind/wilds of,tn
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DSC_0283.JPG

DSC_0282.JPG

OP
OP
F

Freemindedclark

Sep 18, 2017
Elliott Iowa
Detector(s) used
The Hubble telescope
Primary Interest:
Other
Thank you. My area is rich in artifacts and couple that with the fact I have hunted for 54 years and yes I have a bunch of artifacts. What you see in those pictures is just my Ft Ancient Collection.

I can only hope to gain a fraction of your knowledge and experience Grim.

Sunny Side

Banned
Sep 15, 2019
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer ll
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Birdstone. It has beed drilled 6 times, 2 on each side and 2 on the bottom and they are not repair holes. IMG_4021_1.jpg Allen Co. In

Last edited:

OntarioArch

Nov 26, 2017
Cayuga County NY
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
This is a repeat from a couple months ago...but I thought some members might enjoy it: Onondaga Chert Meadowood Cache Blades

cache1.jpg

cache5.jpg

Attachments

• cache6.jpg
    cache6.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 41

OntarioArch

Nov 26, 2017
Cayuga County NY
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Three more of my nicer pieces: a hardstone plummet found in Cayuga County NY ; a uniface, curved, hornstone knife - Paleo period I am told, said to be from Ohio/Indiana; and a stemmed lance, maybe Paleo period, perhaps Sonora Flint, provenance unknown.

1a.jpg

5.jpg
5a.jpg

10 a.jpg

Last edited:

OntarioArch

Nov 26, 2017
Cayuga County NY
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
FWIW, bifacial retouch usually comes along later in time.

Hey Uni - could you explain 'retouch' for me? Does it mean the same as 're-sharpen'? And if so, what is it about the flaking on the edges of that 'uniface knife' that tells you it was retouched at some date after it was created; that the flaking pattern is not all original.

Most appreciative of your expertise! Thanks!

Last edited:

Tdog

Silver Member
May 30, 2019
East Central Alabama
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I think he means taking an additional step to knap the edges via pressure flaking with a bone or antler tine after the percussion process is complete. This will refine the cutting edges to make them even sharper.

uniface

Silver Member
Jun 4, 2009
Central Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
Other
OA : The French were pioneering the study of flint tools long before any other country was, and developed the working vocabulary that should have been adopted when others joined the parade. But, of course, it wasn't, making people continually have to reinvent the terminological wheel.

Retouch is a translation of a similar French term, meaning (as Td pointed to) re-sharpening edges dulled by use. On thin edges, this is by pressure flaking (or easily could have been).

During the Paleo era proper (Dalton, San Patrice/Hardaway & similar others begin the Early Archaic), such re-edging, when present, is often along a part of one edge (or parts of several edges), leaving the unifacial side still unifacial. When flaking does invade the unifacial side, it's generally along one edge only (as in Ontario & the upper Midwest). Continuous edge retouching of the unifacial side is an Early Archaic (and later) practice as a rule.

FWIW

uniface

Silver Member
Jun 4, 2009
Central Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
Other
FWIW, a lot of that looks like use wear, OA. Varying sizes and angles.

And the stepping/crushing of the edge opposite it, congruent with this, indicates it's been hammered (using it as a wedge) (French : piece esquille).

That is possibly not what it was intended for when made, but an ad hoc use.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread