Native American artifacts on land - Page 2
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree101Likes

Thread: Native American artifacts on land

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Jul 2011
    707 times
    You do need a " shaker screen." Those are not hard to build & you can just leave it at the site.
    Here are 2 types that I have built & used.

https://akzeigers.com/blog/?tag=archaeological-sifter Really need two people to work this one.

https://colleen-morgan.com/2008/11/1...ing-screening/ I made this using saplings, or bamboo, with rope tying the 3 poles near the top, & more rope suspending the sifter.

us
    Apr 2018
    Sand Hills Forest, SC
    BH LRP
    76 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    I bought some screen yesterday evening, 1/4" and 1/2". Only two of the points we've found up to this point will make it through the 1/2" screen (assuming it goes point first and doesn't lie on its side). I made a little 1/4" sifter to play around with, it was actually nice to just walk around and use a small shovel to scoop the dirt surrounding the piece I was picking up. I have been putting all this stuff in my pockets, RIP my washer/dryer.

This was picked up in about 15 minutes in the same area we've been picking through. It is insane how much stuff is here. I have plowed three different sections that probably add up to maybe 2 acres. 95% of our findings come from this one spot, a section maybe 10 yards by 20 yards.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Stuff1.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	446.1 KB 
ID:	1857320

Nothing too good, I think we've pretty much picked the top of the soil clean. I just found out that my son has been throwing anything back down that isn't an arrowhead so there is still a good bit of pottery just on the surface. I'm not sure if I should disc and wait for rain, disc to smooth it out then flip it again with the plow, or just build a sifter and start scooping. I really want to find some more points..

I'm going to do some research and see if it is feasible to use the 1/2" screen to either build a table the width of the tractor bucket or somehow attach the screen to the bottom of the grapple.

If there truly is a screening expert on here, can someone point him my way? I have funding to plant longleaf pine on this property which is why I was trying to clean it up. That is supposed to start this winter. I started plowing after the neighbor told me that if I did, I would find arrowheads. He did me and my family a service.

[edit] Lastly - If anyone has any knappable rock for sale at a lower-than-everywhere-else price to help get me started, shoot me a PM. I ordered some rock with my knapping tools but my son is already asking if he can knap, too. I was trying to make an arrowhead from glass last night and he was dying to try it. I really need to find him some gloves since he won't leave me alone until he gets to try it himself.
    Last edited by Pripyat; Aug 19, 2020 at 07:14 AM.
    PetesPockets55 and Tony in SC like this.

us
    Rock hunter

May 2020
    East texas
    962 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ToddsPoint View Post
    I knapped flint for 22 yrs. and my advice to you is make sure you have plenty of band-aids handy. Flintknapping is a blood sport, especially when you first start. Gary
    ....and safety glasses.
    PetesPockets55 and Huzzah! like this.

Mar 2016
    4931 times
    There is a lot to learn about the pieces you are finding.
    Be sure and look closely at every rock as well.

If the area was farmed in the past..look through nearby rock piles. You might find some stone tools that were picked up and stacked along a fence or something.

Small beads will go right through the 1/4" screen..not sure what you can do about that.
    I'm wondering if a washing process combined with screening is the best solution?

There are ways to effectively screen material without breaking your back. I believe if you search here, you will find some examples of some very nice contraptions. The easier it is, the more you will do.
    This Communication HEREBY Serves as OFFICIAL NOTICE That All Messages in This Thread Have Been REVIEWED. FURTHERMORE, All Messages of Positive Nature SHALL IRREVOCABLY Be Considered "LIKED" INSOFAR as Applicable to This Forum. FINALLY, All Discrimination is Strictly PROHIBITED.

us
    Apr 2017
    south east kansas
    Whites Eagle Spectrum
    1979 times

Native American artifacts on land

I learned with bottle bottoms, and it usually costs nothing. Added bonus you will never mix them up with your authentic ones.

If you are after finer stuff, I sometimes take some loose window screen and put the dirt in the middle. Then I tie up the edges to make a bundle and spray with water until the dirt washes away
    Last edited by Older The Better; Aug 19, 2020 at 12:57 PM.
    PetesPockets55 likes this.

Dec 2018
    311 times
    A lot of that looks like flakes/debitage. Is there a stone source there, or nearby?

One big value of learning knapping is that you will become an expert in debitage since that is mostly what you end up making! Since you are on an archaeological site, do be very careful with all your chips and what-not. You may want to go as far as to collect all of it on a tarp and put it in with the household trash going to the landfill. If you keep it onsite, put all in one well known pile and mix in a handful of pennys every so often.

The holes in the hammer stones are from natural voids in the rock, not man made and serve no function.
    Tdog and PetesPockets55 like this.

us
    Apr 2018
    Sand Hills Forest, SC
    BH LRP
    76 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Quartzite Keith View Post
    You may want to go as far as to collect all of it on a tarp and put it in with the household trash going to the landfill. If you keep it onsite, put all in one well known pile and mix in a handful of pennys every so often.
    Huh?

us
    Apr 2018
    Sand Hills Forest, SC
    BH LRP
    76 times

Name:	20200819_173453.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	3.35 MB 
ID:	1857445

Dec 2018
    311 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Pripyat View Post
    Huh?
    All of the waste flakes and other debitage generated by your knapping. So when someone in the future finds artifacts on your land there is no question if it is old or new.

us
    Apr 2018
    Sand Hills Forest, SC
    BH LRP
    76 times
    Ok, thanks for clarifying - I was so confused.

us
    H.P.

Aug 2020
    Safety Harbor Florida
    358 times
    Arrowheads pottery
    Priceless, memories..

us
    Rock hunter

May 2020
    East texas
    962 times
    I am the screening expert. I have pretty much worked thru every stage of excavating from brush and trowel to skid steer and power screen. I very recently helped a member build a screen that would work perfect for you. You already gave the sweet spot dialed in. Ill see if I can find his post.

us
    Rock hunter

May 2020
    East texas
    962 times
    Check out... DIY screen shaker stand... Thread by txag. I bumped it to the top.
    TxAg likes this.

us
    Jul 2011
    707 times
    Is there a creek on your property ? I like to hunt & sift in the creeks, if possible. I use a smaller screen, maybe 18" square. I have swim " Noodle " pieces attached to the sides with wire ties. One eye bolt in the frame where I attach a short piece of rope & tie off the other end loosely around my leg. This lets me work, dig hands free, til I want to sift. I have been doing this for many years.

us
    Apr 2018
    Sand Hills Forest, SC
    BH LRP
    76 times
    YESSSSS

Name:	20200820_165111.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	3.11 MB 
ID:	1857733

[Edit] I'm such a moron.. I was excited to find it, didn't even think about my son. He was so upset, he only found 4 small pieces of flint... Wish I could go back in time and throw it back down for him to stumble upon. Sigh.

I guess I need to build my screen so I can get some good stuff to plant for him later.. lol.
    Last edited by Pripyat; Aug 20, 2020 at 04:21 PM.
    welsbury likes this.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links