Birdstones as a handle of sorts?

dognose

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2009
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
Birdstones as a handle of sorts?

Some may say this is another whacky viewpoint. OK I can live with that. Its no more bizarre than others I have read over the last many years.

Birdstones are native American relic which have been theorized to have many possible uses, but in reality nobody has a definitive answer to how they were utilized.

You can search this forum and read more than a few interesting theories.

If you google birdstone, you can read all sorts of different theories. Even Wikipedia is on board with the unique theory which I had not heard of until reading it:
A new theory recently arising from an amateur female archaeologist focused on Native American fiber processing, is the bird stone was a tool used for matt making and weaving. Many stones have been found near waterways and swamp areas where reeds grow, these areas being where materials for matt making were collected and processed. The holes in the base were potentially used for reed straighteners, or even twine making. The smooth surface of the stone is perfect for flattening fibers without breaking and the beak feature used to push reeds together. Matts were a important facet of every household and important items of trade. The Pacific Northwest tribes used a similar tool made of wood, also bird shaped.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bird_stone

I also collect old tools and I was looking at some antique tools when I noticed that stair saws have a similar shape as birdstones. The bird shape is the handle of these tools.

Stair saws were designed to cut dado joints for stairs, but they are useful for dado joints of all sizes. A dado joint is made from a three-sided channel cut across the grain of one work piece. A second, mating work piece fits into the slot. Dado joints are often used to build cabinets and bookshelves.

I am not proposing that native Americans used the birdstones as a stair saw or anything like this.

There is evidence on the hafting difference technique of a celt, and an adz. Gauges are found in the Midwest and the northeast. These sorts of tools, we also have in the historic period. There is no evidence that native Americans did NOT use birdstones for any sort of handle for a tool.

The theory that a birdstone could have been used for a handle of sorts is no further outlandish than other proposed uses.

It's interesting none the less that early tools have a similar shape to birdstones.

stair sawA.jpg

stair sawB.jpg

stair sawC.jpg

stair sawD.jpg

A double headed birdstone like stair saw ?
stair sawE.jpg

stair sawF.jpg

Upvote 0

dirstscratcher

Mar 8, 2019
N.C. Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always thought they were probably used as basket lid handles. The hole orientation is right to tie on to the circular fibers in the lid. My idea was reinforced in the early 80's when a group of Canadian Indians had a booth at the Cleveland outdoor and travel show. They were selling crafts including baskets with bird stone handled lids.

OP
OP
dognose

dognose

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2009
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
Lid handle, could be.

what I find interesting:
Native Americans and contact historic period had common items which MAY not look 100% the same but potentially used the same

1) chisel
2) gouge
3) adz
4) axe
5) knife

so what is so out of the question they had a utilitarian handle made of non-perishable material which we happen to call a bird stone?

Kantuckkeean

Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2009
Cornfield, IN
Detector(s) used
F-22, cheapo pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The resemblance of some birdstones to some of those wood handles makes a pretty good argument.

Kindest regards,
Kantuck

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
You bring up a good point, some birdstones, especially the smooth (non-pop eyed, fan based varieties) might have had a utilitarian purpose. Interesting thoughts.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread