Need Help! Digging for NA Artifacts

GrouseMan

Mar 2, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey all, I’m back home for the holidays and have a great opportunity to do some digging on a site known to hold artifacts. It’s on the property of a golf course. When they tore up the land to create the course, many artifacts were found. The property borders a freshwater creek and along that creek there is a buffer of untouched woods. I got permission to dig in that woods and will be heading out tomorrow.

I’ve found artifacts in SC on the surface, but am totally new to digging. Does anyone have suggestions on where to start? I’m hopeful because arifacts have been found there before, but am unsure of how to dig for artifacts, where I should be digging, and all the techniques involved. I realize the answers are all over, but I was hoping that since this is on such short notice (I’m heading out there tomorrow) you all could help give me a crash course on digging for artifacts in the woods!

Thanks!

Upvote 0

dognose

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2009
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
The first thing that comes to mind is: Do you have the permission in writing?

Protect yourself from legal ramifications.

Check the water ways for chips and debitage from any camps along the river. Are any rises located in the woods? I would think a rise situated away from the water would be productive. It could be simply walking the creek could take a few days, depending on the creek size and type. Walk up stream against the flow. If you walk with the flow sediment stirred up may cloud your viewing of the stream bed.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The first thing that comes to mind is: Do you have the permission in writing?

Protect yourself from legal ramifications.

Check the water ways for chips and debitage from any camps along the river. Are any rises located in the woods? I would think a rise situated away from the water would be productive. It could be simply walking the creek could take a few days, depending on the creek size and type. Walk up stream against the flow. If you walk with the flow sediment stirred up may cloud your viewing of the stream bed.

Great advice.

Hey all, I’m back home for the holidays and have a great opportunity to do some digging on a site known to hold artifacts. It’s on the property of a golf course. When they tore up the land to create the course, many artifacts were found. The property borders a freshwater creek and along that creek there is a buffer of untouched woods. I got permission to dig in that woods and will be heading out tomorrow.

I’ve found artifacts in SC on the surface, but am totally new to digging. Does anyone have suggestions on where to start? I’m hopeful because arifacts have been found there before, but am unsure of how to dig for artifacts, where I should be digging, and all the techniques involved. I realize the answers are all over, but I was hoping that since this is on such short notice (I’m heading out there tomorrow) you all could help give me a crash course on digging for artifacts in the woods!

Thanks!

I might add when walking creeks and streams to look behind anything that stops or restricts the flow of the current. I walked creeks for 20 years, look behind fallen logs, shelfs in the creek, bottom of water falls, weeds, anything that hinders the flow of the current. During heavy down pours the edges of creeks crumble from the water and fall into the creeks and streams bringing with them artifacts, they will be washed down stream from the flood waters in the current till something stops them. I have multiple points at the bottom of small waterfalls, 6" to 12" was usual size of waterfalls I found in creeks and streams I walked. The constant fall of water creates holes that points sometime fall in and cant get out.

MosesOfTheSouth

Apr 4, 2014
in my mind/wilds of,tn
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
for some reason i'm seeing bill murray in caddy shack, blowing up sections of golf course... looking for points instead of trying to kill a large ground rodent/

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Do shovel testing first. Dig a hole and see if you find any chips of flint or fire cracked rock. If not, bury your hole and move. Once you find chips/debitage make 1 meter squares and start digging and screening. Record your info. Gary

Fat

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2020
Nebraska panhandle/NE Colorado
Detector(s) used
I took the battery out because I like my bacon crispy
Primary Interest:
Other
I love it when I get great advice, with more great advice, all topped off the a good chuckle.
Its the best way to learn. Have a great holiday.

Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I second toddspoint follow the flakes, if you don’t want test holes sometimes you can see flakes around the base of trees, or if one falls taking the root ball with it check there, game trails, animal burrows.

OP
OP
G

GrouseMan

Mar 2, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Update from the dig:

Spent all day digging test holes and we found some areas with a lot of old clam shells. The golf course is right next to the bay and I’m pretty sure they were processing shellfish at the site. Towards the end of the day, I dug a test hole that revealed some promising look rocks. Dug a little bit more around there, and found what I think are chips, flakes, and fire cracked rocks. I’ve attached some pictures of the better ones below (we found 20ish items).. What do you guys think of the items we found? Does it seem right that they are a mix of chips, flakes and fire cracked rocks? Any idea of material?

We are going back tomorrow to dig some more, hopefully will find some tools!

B8CF187C-C866-4C47-B808-A3A7566C0D13.jpeg
4013CABE-593B-4B8D-AA10-9796CA85EB70.jpeg
E9716DE1-469F-42CB-B5FE-217226DFDAF6.png
3D2E4F64-C1A0-4307-A761-CE139284CB9E.png

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions