Paleo Flake Core

uniface

Silver Member
Jun 4, 2009
Central Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
Other
The only factor that identifies this as being from the Paleoindian era is the fact that it was found on a single-component fluted point site in Coshocton County, Ohio that was a reduction site as well as a habitation site. ex Alan Harbuck.

Three substantial flakes were removed from it, as you can see. As is usually the case with flake cores, the thin edge was suited to cutting tasks and was so used, with some re-edging as use progressed.

image.jpeg image.jpeg

Upvote 0

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice one!
Looks like the core was re-touched to be used as a tool..., in butchering perhaps....
why not? Its a perfect fit for a fist...!

OP
OP
uniface

uniface

Silver Member
Jun 4, 2009
Central Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
Other
May well have been.

But if you're skinning/cutting meat, razor blade flakes (or blades) do better with less effort. Heavier/stouter edges for heavier/stouter tasks.

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
May well have been.

But if you're skinning/cutting meat, razor blade flakes (or blades) do better with less effort. Heavier/stouter edges for heavier/stouter tasks.

I've found that using razor blade flakes for skinning is a non-starter. The sharp flakes cut through the hide and ruin it. Fine if you don't want to keep the hide. If you plan on keeping the hide, a nice flat blade that is beveled like a Thebes is the best. Razor flakes are for dismembering the parts but not for skinning, IMHO. Gary

Tony in SC

Gold Member
Jun 8, 2006
Upstate South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites, Minelab, Tesoro, and custom machines
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I haven't seen this discussed before but Gary is right. A thicker tool is better for removing a hide because of the angle of the cut, but then sometimes you have to use what you have.

Tesorodeoro

Bronze Member
Jan 21, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I haven't seen this discussed before but Gary is right. A thicker tool is better for removing a hide because of the angle of the cut, but then sometimes you have to use what you have.

Yes, a blade can definitely be too sharp for skinning.

That’s why I kind of like softer steels for skinning knives...you can easily keep the edge right where you like it as far as sharpness goes.

OP
OP
uniface

uniface

Silver Member
Jun 4, 2009
Central Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
Other
I said that based on skinning a bunch of rabbits over the years, and sometimes groundhogs. I pulled the edge of the skin 90 degree angled from the carcass, and used the knife blade to separate it from the muscle right where the two met. Never punctured one that I remember. Surgery -- not butchery. I'll take your words for it though, while remembering two different experimental archaeologists who reported on the absence of use wear after they'd skinned out bison with single flakes.

They didn't report, that I know of, whether they messed the hides up. FWIW

Last edited:

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here's the first and last critter I skinned with flakes. A beaver. You can see all the cut marks on the back from the flakes. I sewed up the cuts as best I could. The skin came out okay for display but those old Indians would be laughing at me for ruining a good hide. I did a lot of experimental archaeology in the past. That's how you really figure stuff out. Gary

DSC09370.JPG DSC09371.JPG DSC09373.JPG DSC09375.JPG

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread