ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1614729607.590462.jpg

Upvote 0

TxAg

May 7, 2017
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very nice bird point Older, congratulations!

OP
OP
Older The Better

Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My official red background pics it’s pretty white but my phone doesn’t want to capture that and I’d say huffaker just based on location but yeah essentially Cahokia
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1614733100.998121.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1614733174.682114.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1614733209.436967.jpg

I was afraid I was going to spill my bucket or drop a rock on it or crunch it in my pocket so it was a short hunt I went home right after I found it haha

Last edited:

Tony in SC

Gold Member
Jun 8, 2006
Upstate South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites, Minelab, Tesoro, and custom machines
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great point!! Don't see notching like that every day? All that notching and he still lost it!

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Super Nice One! :icon_thumleft:

I'd say whomever, wanted to make sure that, that point was secured to the shaft soundly.

OP
OP
Older The Better

Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Up under a little overhang on the bluff, rivers moved probably around a half mile away, they sure brought a lot of mussel shells up there

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you visit Cahokia Mounds they will tell you the extra notches on arrow points were there for identification. They don't serve any purpose except decoration or owner ID. Lots of odd notching on Cahokias. Gary

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a great find! Also, your series of pictures illustrate perfectly how a red background, by contrast, sucks any red out of a point.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Really a great looking point, congrats

OP
OP
Older The Better

Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks to all, that’s only my second complete point in months, been a boring winter.

To clarify the first pics on the black I took right after I cleaned it and it was under a lamp, the ones on the red are closer to the true color, I meant the point is actually a little more white in real life. The white ones tend to wash out when I adjust the camera to the proper color. So I have to balance detail for true color

Todds when you say they were there for I’d do you mean like Cahokia people vs rival groups or subdivisions within the group?

Last edited:

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks to all, that’s only my second complete point in months, been a boring winter.

To clarify the first pics on the black I took right after I cleaned it and it was under a lamp, the ones on the red are closer to the true color, I meant the point is actually a little more white in real life. The white ones tend to wash out when I adjust the camera to the proper color. So I have to balance detail for true color

Todds when you say they were there for I’d do you mean like Cahokia people vs rival groups or subdivisions within the group?

I'm not really sure if it was supposed to be for individuals or groups. Cahokia had lots of satellite villages nearby so I guess it could have been groups. Good question! An archaeologist did tell me that the farther away from Cahokia you get the less likely you are to see the odd notching. Gary

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread