Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

southfork

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2014
California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I showed my thunder chicken before personal find Tilly's Hill N. California . Maybe a goose ?

Attachments

• P1170316.JPG
    P1170316.JPG
    192.2 KB · Views: 70

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I think at least sometimes, less obvious animal-appearing forms, especially those with spur-like protrusions, may be tools we just have not figured out the functions for. Here is a "buffalo effigy" that just ended on eBay. This particular seller is known to many collectors, and has an excellent reputation for not knowingly selling questionable pieces. Notice in the description, that he thinks it's a reworked adze, but does not assume it's a recent fake....

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Extremely-...=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

newnan man

Gold Member
Aug 8, 2005
Beautiful Florida
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I think at least sometimes, less obvious animal-appearing forms, especially those with spur-like protrusions, may be tools we just have not figured out the functions for. Here is a "buffalo effigy" that just ended on eBay. This particular seller is known to many collectors, and has an excellent reputation for not knowingly selling questionable pieces. Notice in the description, that he thinks it's a reworked adze, but does not assume it's a recent fake....

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Extremely-...=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557
I have seen this sellers items before and think I may have bid on some things. His stuff always looked real not the perfect just knapped stuff so many try to say is real by having Baker send a worthless COA with it.
Riverrellics is another seller who sells only the real deal. Specializes in deep south/Florida stuff.

Rextharockman

Tenderfoot
Apr 18, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was hoping to get some feedback as to the reality of knapped flint thunderbird effigies. Has anyone ever seen one or even found one or are they a myth. Thanks.

I just found a thunderbird effigies at the Runion site on the Nolichucky river,not sure how to post pic.,just joined,ill try to figure it out

Rextharockman

Tenderfoot
Apr 18, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
0418192139a.jpg nice find ,here's 1 I found at the Runion home site on the nolichucky river here in northeast Tn.

Rextharockman

Tenderfoot
Apr 18, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's another couple pieces I found close to it 0418192113b.jpg 0418192113a.jpg and sorry for the multiple post,it new and not too computer smart heheee

dognose

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2009
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
I have nothing to gauge this by, I have never found anything remotely like a 'Thunderbird' in a mite over 50 years of collecting/hunting relics.

I feel strongly that its virtually impossible to determine authenticity from a photo, no matter how many years you have under your belt.

I also can relate to the frustration of having relics personally found labeled as questionable or fraudulent. I personally had some labeled that back in the 90's at the Owensboro show.

I recently had a relic dismissed as a reproduction in E-Town a couple of years back by an older known collector who handled the relic for no more than 5 seconds, gave it a cursory glance without his glasses on, left them on top of his head. Frustrating? You bet.

But then in the recent years more 'interesting' relics have came to light. A clovis which appears to have serrations which was pictured in the Central States Archaeological Societies journal Jan 2009. Never saw one of those before.

Bannerstones and discoidals made of pudding stone type of conglomerate or Porphyry. Never saw many of those before either but in the last few years, more have came to light.

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
people also use sites like this one to "authenticate" their finds. And I know for a fact that folks "salt" sites to throw folks off true sites and make them hunt somewhere (anywhere) else. Also there are the camp counselors, well meaning parents and the like that plant things for folks to find.

dognose

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2009
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
Well I have to admit to throwing a few out there into the dirt for my granddaughter.

Hoping to get her interested, I took her relic hunting to a field I had found many over the years. The field conditions were not great and my wife wanted her to have fun so my wife asked me to take a few broken points and toss them out for her to find.

It was really funny when I was there. When she would turn her head I would quickly take one out of my pocket and toss it in front of her to find. Sometimes she found it and other times she looked right at it and kept walking. It was really funny and I had to stifle a laugh here and there.

Even more funny was after we got home and we were washing them off, one larger broken relic had my catalog number and date on it under clear nail polish. Luckily she missed that too. I did not leave any there that I took to toss out.

Rocky76

Tenderfoot
Jul 13, 2019
Aragon, Ga.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thunderbird

Not an Effigy but I was excited when I found it..

Attachments

• 20190712_150922.jpg
    20190712_150922.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 56
  • 20190712_152007.jpg
    20190712_152007.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 79

Tdog

Silver Member
May 30, 2019
East Central Alabama
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
My answer is that if it is in fact OLD, it is not an effigy and is a re-worked piece and only resembles an effigy. If there's any authentic Tbirds anywhere, very few exist.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Even in cultures that did extensive intricate knapping you never see a Thunderbird.... Maybe a lizard.

100_1435.JPG

100_1436.JPG 100_1436.JPG

100_1436.JPG

100_1435_2.JPG

Last edited:

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tnmountains, I know an "arrowhead", but what am I looking at in your pics? Here on the East Coast we don't have anything like that. I've not seen them before.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread