Bronze Member
Mar 23, 2005
Northern Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT Classic
Teknetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GULP!!!!! I do not know what it is but I want it!!!! :) Beautiful. Thanks for sharing

bean man

Sep 2, 2006
Central Iowa
I would say, classic slant groove Iowa axe, made of some type of hardstone. Very nice! I have not found one yet. My brother and my friend, have both found one in my creek. In my Hothem's book, he mentions strange indentations on the poll end on one side, of some axe's. My brothers has this and your appears to maybe have it too.

Pepper2004

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2007
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT, Whites M6, Vibra-Probe 570, Ace 250, Bounty Hunter 202, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505, Whites MXT, 2 Bullseye11
I don't know the answers to your questions. I do know it is beautiful! WTG

HH,
Pepper

paleo10kbc

Feb 13, 2008
Ohio
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter pioneer505
Hey,Jazdo. Awesome find! There`s nothing like it ,is there?
Good luck on finding more!
Paleo10kbc

Cannonman17

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2006
Wisconsin
Wow, if there was a banner finds thing for artifacts that would have to be one... the bit is perfect and the groove... wow, nice and deep, looks like it would have been a little easier to secure to a handle than most. Nice find-

OP
OP
Jazdo

Jazdo

Oct 11, 2007
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cortes,Golden Sabre II, & Inca!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks on the replies. This was found several years ago. The best part is two other axes were found on this river less than 1/4 mile away. The first was by a friend that got me started looking. His was also in the mud but was a very small one half the height of this one and almost as long but I wont forget him finding it. The other was my first axe. Found four to ten feet from where his was and several months apart. I also heard of another coming from this area but never saw it. Regardless i think a cache was buried in this area by seasonal travelers or nomadic travelers if you will. the various sizes may indicate this i only hope someday to find the better size ones lol ;D

I had guard duty today or would have been looking for treasure Beautiful day here

A

Atlantis0077

Afternoon,

VERY NICE! Love the color and the proportion. Hope you can find some more in that spot.

HH,

Atlantis

OP
OP
Jazdo

Jazdo

Oct 11, 2007
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cortes,Golden Sabre II, & Inca!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bean man said:
I would say, classic slant groove Iowa axe, made of some type of hardstone. Very nice! I have not found one yet. My brother and my friend, have both found one in my creek. In my Hothem's book, he mentions strange indentations on the poll end on one side, of some axe's. My brothers has this and your appears to maybe have it too.

Beanman what book is that if I might ask?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread