Questions

hav2fish

Sep 14, 2006
I have been hunting here in Central Texas for a few years. When I can in the Hill Country, but being a parent with limited time I find myself poking around creeks in the middle of town without much to show but a bison tooth, some fossils, and a few maybes. I recently found the piece below in a creek bed at a point where it enters the river. My first question is what would this be considered, a blade, tool, what? secondly would someting like his normally be found in context with other artifacts because of it's use? and lastly, does anyone else search very populated areas and have success? and if so do you have any tips? such as how to discern artifacts through the road scum left at the bottom of city creeks ;D I am wondering if this area is worth anymore of my time as, being in the middle of town, it is a catchall for all kinds of nasty stuff. I'm not squimish but humans can sure be gross. That being said, the piece is made out of a real neat material I haven't seen around here yet so I'm happy regardless. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• th_BryansPics145.jpg
    th_BryansPics145.jpg
    1.8 KB · Views: 143
  • th_BryansPics153.jpg
    th_BryansPics153.jpg
    2.4 KB · Views: 143
Upvote 0

steve71

Bronze Member
May 9, 2007
TX
hav2fish said:
I have been hunting here in Central Texas for a few years. When I can in the Hill Country, but being a parent with limited time I find myself poking around creeks in the middle of town without much to show but a bison tooth, some fossils, and a few maybes. I recently found the piece below in a creek bed at a point where it enters the river. My first question is what would this be considered, a blade, tool, what? secondly would someting like his normally be found in context with other artifacts because of it's use? and lastly, does anyone else search very populated areas and have success? and if so do you have any tips? such as how to discern artifacts through the road scum left at the bottom of city creeks ;D I am wondering if this area is worth anymore of my time as, being in the middle of town, it is a catchall for all kinds of nasty stuff. I'm not squimish but humans can sure be gross. That being said, the piece is made out of a real neat material I haven't seen around here yet so I'm happy regardless. Thanks in advance.
looks like a preform you got there.i like looking on feeder creeks that flow into a river.i'm not much of a teacher so just keep looking

tomclark

Bronze Member
Dec 18, 2006
Tampa Bay, FL
Detector(s) used
ShadowX2, TEJON, Eyes, Pony Shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
It looks like a preform he gave up on after wacking the top left edge. Make the pics bigger. Preforms would make me think there would be more there. Where creeks enter rivers is always a good spot to look for concentrations due to the physical and cultural depositing. Are there lots of chips of this same material around the gravel bars?
I've found killer stuff in city areas that no one would think of looking or hasn't in a long time.
You can use a rake or some other tool besides your foot and brush over gravel/rubble silted areas in shallow water and then let it settle downstream, at least that gives you an area you can actually see something. Good luck!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread