arrowhead or natural?

JCinNJ

Jan 25, 2008
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Bought the bottom one when I was a kid years ago out in Indiana, might only be a copy as it was only $1 back in 1974 or so.

The other one I found when I was metal detecting at a local bay beach. Not sure if it was nature made or man made but it sure looks and feels like someone made it. It's even beveled on both sides.

The penny is for scale.

HH

- joe

Attachments

• arrowhead.jpg
    arrowhead.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 346
  • arrowhead-flip.jpg
    arrowhead-flip.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 342
Upvote 0

Neanderthal

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2006
oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Natural, has no flaking scars or signs of human modification. Keep at it though guy, everyone has picked up a boatload of those when they started out. When starting your collecting endeavers, it's always a good thing to keep what you're in doubt about until you find out for sure.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One you bought looks real, points were cheap in 74. The other is natural.

stryker-one

Aug 10, 2007
Independence, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Scorpion Gold Stinger and Tesoro Silver
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree the black stone is natural--and I can see why you would pick it up. That white point is a nice projectile point--and it is the "real mccoy", too--no copy. It reminds me of some of the type of points my Uncle Juell and I use to find down on the Trinity River.

I remember when I was a kid growing up in Texas (early 60s), I had an Uncle Juell (pronounced "jew-el") he was a Cajun and lived down on the Trinity River around Huntsville, Texas. Uncle Juell was very good at anything that had to do with living off the river. There was a creek that flowed into the Trinity below where Uncle Juell and his wife Marie lived. It was Blacks creek.

Uncle Juell said that there were burial mounds a mile or so down Blacks creek and he had baskets full of points that he kept around. It was understood that Uncle Juell collected these points from there. I was too young to fully understand--and I was brought up not to ask questions of my elders that might be prying.

Of course My Uncle Juell is no longer alive and I'll never know anything about those mounds on Blacks creek--another thing about Uncle Juell--he did not talk much. He did teach me how to find projectile points.

Just got me to thinking.

Stryker

Airborne80

Bronze Member
Mar 23, 2005
Northern Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT Classic
Teknetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I started collecting arrowheads in December and am beyond addicted. I have about a thousand (no exaggeration) arrowhead looking stones that I am still in denial over. I have framed the ones that I KNOW for a fact are arrowheads and even frame the heartbreakers (probably another sign of a novice :D) but I do keep the questionable ones. having said that.... there is NO feeling in the world like that feeling when you see one and you know for a 100% fact that its a real point. I love it. In fact, after a full 51/2 hours of cannoning yesterday, I was loading up my truck and BAM!! I saw (and recovered) a beautiful white quarts point. What a great ending to a great day! I have not had time to take a photo of it but will get it on here tonight. Anyway..... great post!

Matt R said:
Natural, has no flaking scars or signs of human modification. Keep at it though guy, everyone has picked up a boatload of those when they started out. When starting your collecting endeavers, it's always a good thing to keep what you're in doubt about until you find out for sure.
Im with Matt on the smooth one. The other one is real in my opinion, and back in 1974, a dollar would have been considered preposterously high for a point like that. I can remember triangular arrowheads bringing .25-.50 cents along about 1976 or 77 when I first started trying to keep my finds.
My how things have changed aint they? BTW, back in the days when they were so cheap, nobody was worried about arrowhead hunters doing their hobby!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions