Indian sites/metal detectors

searcher

Oct 4, 2004
Hill Country TEXAS
Detector(s) used
White's. Old, yellow but still waterproof!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i did find a pot handle without a m.d. once! it never hurts to check them out. i know off an old camp site i need to go check out.
overgrown with weeds and small trees though...
H.H. searcher

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
They used metal pots,hooks, etc. If you are very lucky, you might find where they used some of the thin pot pieces to make metal arrowheads although the cast iron usually has rusted preetty much to nothing depending on the climate and ground conditions.

Tigr50

Greenie
Sep 28, 2003
Roswell NM
I love this stuff:

Depending on the tribe and the time period, there are many "detectable" items. knife blades, beads (even very old Venetian beads have a fair bit of mineral in them), needles. In other words all the trade items of metal, incuding the cooking utensils mentioned earlier. There are also the metal parts of muskets, balls, bullets, axes, tiny bells (many indian tribes loved bells) and medals from the Great White father in the great White House, which were handed out like bus tokens. Also coins that have holes drilled in them for earrings and necklaces and general ornamentation. Southwestern Indians got their metal from the Spanish, and so there are iron and brass and silver trinkets.

Just takes a little research about the tribes in the area you are in, and good hunting.
Cheers
Deb

S

SASQUASH

I was M.D.ing in an area that had a lot of shards. Found a old hand hammerd spike. About 12in. long. I know of some caves I will try next. <><

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tigr50 is correct. There are many things the tribes had that they had gotten from traders and the white man. While relic detecting you've got to have the MD's discrimination turned way down to find iron. If you have one of the models with an ID screen you can better under stand the objects size before you dig.

HH,
Sandman

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread