• picture135.jpg
    picture135.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 837
Upvote 0

searcher

Oct 4, 2004
Hill Country TEXAS
Detector(s) used
White's. Old, yellow but still waterproof!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sweet!! what size are they?
can you go upsteam and find a mound? or are there none in that area?
searcher

OP
OP
Gribnitz

Gribnitz

Aug 1, 2004
The larger point is about 2 inches. The preform is near as big as my hand. As far as mounds, no idea. I stick to the creek where the ticks and poison ivy isn't near as thick.

searcher

Oct 4, 2004
Hill Country TEXAS
Detector(s) used
White's. Old, yellow but still waterproof!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i think the "preform" is an "hand axe".. if it's as big as your hand. there was a lot of discussion about how these were used..
i read about some experimentation with "hand axes". they wondered how they were used,since all sides are sharp...
they tried different ways then came up with the idea that maybe it was for throwing. they got some athletes to throw some copies that were the same size and weight and the "hand axes" landed point first almost all of the time!! interesting...!
too bad you don't like poison ivy or ticks :-\ powdered sulfer for the ticks & chiggers, me for the poison ivy(not allergic)
H.H. searcher

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! Those are really great! I know you are proud to have them!

Nana ;)

T

T-Rex

I'd say it's a great big knife/scraper...

Ever hunt any plowed fields? Potential goldmines...

Th3rty7

Silver Member
Jan 24, 2009
»»--------->
Imo that creek stained preform or blank may be a clovis preform, sure has the form and style of flaking, hard to tell from just a pic though. nice finds.

coalfire

Dec 16, 2006
East Coast
No, not a preform. I agree with T-rex. I have seen the bottom style many times in several collections. it is a knife/scraper. Called an Ovoid Blade (some simular types with a hump are sometimes called a "turtle-back= scraper). I have seen them in several materials and from different ages. Even one that looked paleo and crude. It is a great tool for a man or woman's pouch. Thinner than a good Celt and has several good working edges for several uses. I saw one with a thin tip for punching holes also.The smallest types are nickel and dime size "Thumbnail Scrapers". I have three of the tiny "Thumb-Nail" ones in three colors of flint. Sweet finds all around!!!

~Z~ (formally Zeawolf now useing the nickname Coalfire)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread