Hammerstone/mano...

GL

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2008
South Central, NC
Found this on my best spot. It's something I'm pretty sure isn't natural, call it a gut feeling. I immediately recognized it and picked it up. It's got a roughly squared profile like a cube almost with nice flattish sides. Maybe an abrading stone for knapping or something. Either way, natural or not I like it and think it's a cool rock.
stone1.jpg

misc1.jpg

Also some flint flakes, a sweet chunk of blue Mason jar bottom(#8 size) and a wonderfully thick, complete clear glass jar bottom to flake into blue and clear points someday.
Anyway, it's not much but it's something.
clearjarbottom1.jpg

Upvote 0

arm66

Oct 25, 2007
NE Ohio....Mahoning County
Cool stuff. I have a big stone just like the one you have. It even looks like the same material. It has a rough pebblely surface like yours. Mine is a about twice the size and more rectangular which is why I picked it up. One end is smooth, like it was abraded or used to pound on stuff. It is the only smooth part on the whole rock. I wasn't sure what it was but it did not look natural so it sits in my garage right now. I used my sons toy - the eyeclops - to look at it closely. It plugs into my garage TV and magnifies any surface 200X's. For 50 bucks it is a great tool to peer closely at artifacts.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread