8/29/8 finds

P

pickaway

Hit a new small creek up the rd. from home.
Man the one is the heartbreaker for 08.Odd material any clue?
sp.gif

sp1.gif

sp2.gif

Upvote 0

luckyinkentucky

Feb 29, 2008
Owensboro, Kentucky
In the first pic it almost looks like Horse Creek Chert, but that doesn't make sense since you are in Ohio. :icon_scratch:

In the second and third picture it looks more like a Pennsylvania Jasper or Dover.

Bent-Twig

Jun 9, 2008
North Central Ohio
Congrats on the finds Pick!!

I went out today too. No pics because no finds. I have gone out and been skunked the last 4 times! I guess ya cant find em' all the time but it sure would be nice. Sure am glad some are being found by others. Hope you find lts more!!

Happy Huntin' , Bent-Twig.

luckyinkentucky

Feb 29, 2008
Owensboro, Kentucky
creekhunter said:
Looks like Petrified wood :icon_scratch: Great that the creek is starting to give you stuff :thumbsup:

I don't think it's petrified wood. Petrified wood should look grainy, and that doesn't look grainy. Another thing .... for petrified wood to be that color you would have to have very high amounts of iron oxide in the soil. Iron oxide turns wood red, yellow, or brown, Chromium and Cobalt turn it blue or green, and I think it's carbon that turns it black. I'd have to check on that though since I'm not 100% sure on the black.

If it was petrified wood you should be able to see some sort of original structure of the grains or patterns such as tree rings, grain patterns, etc ....

Now that I look at it again .... it looks like a Ft. Payne tan/brown or a Dover. It's a toss up. Check out these pics. The first one is Ft. Payne and the second is Dover. You decide.

Ft. Payne Adena
xAdena07.jpg

Dover Decatur
xDecatur05.jpg

OP
OP
P

pickaway

Bent-Twig oh i know the feeling usally i average about 4 times out in this county before i find 1.
creekhunter creeks is where its at. ;D
Lucky thanks for the info.
MeinWV yeah i think i might get it restored along w/ a few others.
za2.gif

za3.gif

Cannonman17

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2006
Wisconsin
Nice finds, that black one on the right almost looks like it has an impact fracture of sorts but I can't quite be sure from the pic. Either way, cool stuff!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions