Question for the experts

Buckingham311

Dec 23, 2016
Roberts, ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've got a creek that runs through the back part of my property which shows a lot of sand all around the banks and there is a lot of un-touched land on both sides of the creek which have water run off channels with signs of quartz.

The question is would you start working the creek banks or the old run off channels? Either way I'm going to have to shovel dirt into 5 gallon buckets and walk them back to the house to run through my sluice.

Thanks,
KB

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Test. Pan samples from different areas. :skullflag:

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Research the types of areas that gold likes to gather during flood events (study historical placer deposits covering MANY waterways), then start sampling those kinds of spots first. Keep in mind that the landscape during a major flood event can look quite different from what it may appear the majority of the time. Learn about where gold likes to settle, which side of boulders, how to predict and imagine the water flow and turbulence during a flood event.

Gold isn't found everywhere, and even within the same waterway, gold may be much more prevalent in certain sections while virtually non-existent in others. If you do the research, you can save yourself LOADS of time and effort while at the same time ensuring better future success in your prospecting endeavors.

Anyway, if you find gold, you'll learn how to trace it back more to its point of origin. That isn't always possible, but the closer you can get, the better your chances of getting the most you can. Many old (early and even pre-1900's) books are available for free online, usually in .pdf download. How gold acts in nature hasn't changed, so there is still much great knowledge available there. Also, look to newer technologies, such as Gold Hog matting. Those guys have literally written new chapters in how to recover gold and separate it from the waste material quickly and efficiently.

Placer mining in waterways definitely has its advantages, IF you choose to learn them. And that is, that nature has been depositing gold in certain locations year after year regardless of whether people were out there looking for it or not. So better your chances for success and learn how to read a waterway during flood events! But also keep in mind that waterways can (and do!) change, most commonly during these types of major flood events, so also try to learn how to read the landscape - to see where a waterway might have run in years/decades/centuries past.

Good luck!!

OP
OP
B

Buckingham311

Dec 23, 2016
Roberts, ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
@KCM thanks a bunch for the suggestions. I'm not a fan of wasting time so that is why I had asked the questions. I definitely appreciate the help in where to research first, I don't have a problem researching so this will at least point me in the direction of what to research and how to research it.

Good luck in your endeavors,
KB

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread