History Channel - Oak Island mini series January 5, 2014

xrunndonex

Dec 4, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Guys ever watch that ghost show where the main person always gets possessed in every episode? That show is beyond fake lol.

K1DDO1979

Silver Member
Feb 8, 2014
Peggy's Cove, Nova Scotia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Fisher F75 Ltd SE 2 & Fisher F2 with 11"DD
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Oak island is very near to where I live. What most people don't know is there are many islands close that were full of activity and I bet would have a better chance of treasure than oak island. There's a local story of a treasure chest full of gold and silver found on dover island about ten minutes from my house in the late 1800's. If not just treasure there are islands here littered with abandoned homesteads. Late 1700's/early 1800's cellar holes. Lots of trade here with the u.s. back then. Also french,british,pirates,bootlegging,settlers, etc. more than one hoard buried out there for sure. I love living in Nova Scotia for the history and detecting. I'm glad I got hopefully a lot of years detecting and exploring in me yet. (:

Dr. Meh

Oct 15, 2013
I'm not a Spanish coin expert but can anyone here confirm that what they found was a Spanish coin?

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
At Max,Xp deus,At pro, At gold, pro pointer, ace 350 bounty hunter. Lesche hand and t handle digging tools, Sask kustom digger, Garrett edge digger and Garrett retriever, Garrett classifier made into
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm commenting so I can keep checking the thread lol. This show has me wondering a lot of things guess I need to read through the full thread to see if I can get any answers. There has to be something on that island.

youngerarlaw

Feb 9, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any news on a season 2, I think tonight was the finale??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - Please excuse my typos

HenryWaltonJonesJr

Sep 2, 2013
Downtown Chicago
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, AT Pro, Compadre, SeaHunter II, AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I get phantom signals on my 150, guess they got them on 3 different machines?

As far as the coin, 2 possibilities I can think of.

1. It's a plant. Lost its date. I'm the coin, coincidence.
2. Spanish or pirates were on the island in the 1600s.

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
At Max,Xp deus,At pro, At gold, pro pointer, ace 350 bounty hunter. Lesche hand and t handle digging tools, Sask kustom digger, Garrett edge digger and Garrett retriever, Garrett classifier made into
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The metal detector expert was wearing a kellyco shirt too lol wonder what they paid for that advertisement. They prob just gave him worthless junk that he will never use with that ctx 3030 or that coin came with the ctx as a replica. Lol

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Formerly NH now East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
I'm not a Spanish coin expert but can anyone here confirm that what they found was a Spanish coin?
According to this Ebay ad the "8" counterstamp puts it at around 1652. Need a pile of them to "salt" your treasure site with ? They seem to sell for $10-$20 each individually. Treasure of 110 Spanish Colonial Maravedis | eBay Finding mid 1600s Spanish coins up there proves nothing. I'm sure there were several shipwrecks along and on the coast during those years. So as of now they have spent several million dollars and found ONE $20 coin. Is Todd Hoffman running that operation ?

Last edited:

Dr. Meh

Oct 15, 2013
According to this Ebay ad the "8" counterstamp puts it at around 1652. Heed a pile of them to "salt" your treasure site with ? They seem to sell for $10-$20 each individually. Treasure of 110 Spanish Colonial Maravedis | eBay

Hmm. So it seems the consensus here is that the whole show is a fake set-up? That's unfortunate as I really would like them to find something real. I hate that they keep building up the "curse" aspect. It cheapens the legitimacy of the whole show. At least what little legitimacy they had.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I find it curious they wouldn't give a Close up :icon_scratch:
even if it was a real Spanish coin, and dug there it doesn't prove much.
other then someone dropped or chucked it in the swamp.

if real & not a Fantasy Piece, would look something like this depending on date

DMk5aT9x7oPt3s8Ng3Jd2ByHw6Eywj.jpg

http://www.vcoins.com/en/stores/coi...ravedis_cob_coin_1652_avf/331249/Default.aspx

Cool find though even if it's a recent pub token for an 8 Cent shot.

I thought these guys were Treasure Hunters Though ? Not Spook hunters :dontknow:
acting like signals disappearing was Hocus-Pocus :sadsmiley:
we all know if you break a Halo or change position of a Flat object, or piece of wire,
it will disappear at least for awhile.
Signals disappearing are not spooks moving things around :tongue3:

all the B.S. aside, I wish I could be there :(
the Swamp diving reminded me of Sweet Arrow Lake Mud Hunting 15 Years ago
..... Good Times :metaldetector:

Last edited:

rush

Aug 24, 2009
I get phantom signals on my 150, guess they got them on 3 different machines.
I think they need to check the rocks they found with the MD ! They lost the signal after they removed the rocks .
Did they not? I hope they figure that out geezz..
I wish I could volenteer lol..
Happy hunting
Ps. The big chiped obolong rock look's like it has something in it like a man made rock .

Last edited:

Leila

Jan 12, 2014
Southern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting episode.......................

As for the Spanish coin, I's surprised that there was only one coin considering the signal they got on the metal detector they brought in from Germany. If the computer generated images they showed, where red indicated a find, and there was a large area of red shown on the computer image, I would have expected more than just one coin. Something doesn't seem right with that.

I'm also seeing an inconsistency from one episode to another. The LaGina brothers were led to search the swamp after hearing the theory of the man from Norway. The Norwegian man stated that in the first edition of one of Shakespeare's works there were references that were a code and how that was related to the rocks found on Oak Island. He told them about Nolan's Cross, and took them on a hike showing where other stones in the cross were located. One stone was named the "Mercy Stone" and located in the swamp and that's what led them to search the swamp.

But, as interesting as that story is, William Shakespeare was born in 1564 and died in 1616. If that Spanish coin dates to about 1650 and is part of any treasure found on Oak Island, this would have been long after Shakespeare's death and he couldn't have written about Oak Island. The only explanation for the reference in the first edition of one of his works would be if that first edition was printed long after Shakespeare's death, and after 1650, and put in that edition by someone else. Unless that Spanish coin is only a coincidence.

The series ends with the two brothers deciding to continue their search of Oak Island for another summer. Knowing that the series we've been watching for the past 5 weeks was of the search done in the summer of 2013, I suspect the History Channel will continue to document the search this coming summer if the ratings for these first 5 episodes were good.

Anyone here have any idea if the flat green rocks they found have any significance?

Dr. Meh

Oct 15, 2013
Interesting episode.......................

As for the Spanish coin, I's surprised that there was only one coin considering the signal they got on the metal detector they brought in from Germany. If the computer generated images they showed, where red indicated a find, and there was a large area of red shown on the computer image, I would have expected more than just one coin. Something doesn't seem right with that.

I'm also seeing an inconsistency from one episode to another. The LaGina brothers were led to search the swamp after hearing the theory of the man from Norway. The Norwegian man stated that in the first edition of one of Shakespeare's works there were references that were a code and how that was related to the rocks found on Oak Island. He told them about Nolan's Cross, and took them on a hike showing where other stones in the cross were located. One stone was named the "Mercy Stone" and located in the swamp and that's what led them to search the swamp.

But, as interesting as that story is, William Shakespeare was born in 1564 and died in 1616. If that Spanish coin dates to about 1650 and is part of any treasure found on Oak Island, this would have been long after Shakespeare's death and he couldn't have written about Oak Island. The only explanation for the reference in the first edition of one of his works would be if that first edition was printed long after Shakespeare's death, and after 1650, and put in that edition by someone else. Unless that Spanish coin is only a coincidence.

The series ends with the two brothers deciding to continue their search of Oak Island for another summer. Knowing that the series we've been watching for the past 5 weeks was of the search done in the summer of 2013, I suspect the History Channel will continue to document the search this coming summer if the ratings for these first 5 episodes were good.

Anyone here have any idea if the flat green rocks they found have any significance?

Maybe I'm wrong but my understanding is that it wasn't Shakespeare who wrote about Oak Island but the people who had his manuscripts after his death. I could be wrong.

Frankly, I'm bummed about the whole show. They're making it too corny and not focusing on the facts enough. It's too sensationalized for tv and doesn't give people an accurate history of the place.

rush

Aug 24, 2009
Leila;38Anyone here have any idea if the flat green rocks they found have any significance?[/QUOTE said:
Yes they said it's made of the same stone of the big flat rock with the markings on it they found at 90'
I think they are man made rocks full of gold? haa

Last edited:

11rowsof3

Greenie
Jan 22, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ugh... I am back to my Jon Voight mode:

Benjamin Franklin Gates: No but we found a clue that led us here.
Patrick Henry Gates: And that will lead you to another clue, and another clue...

:D

I have no idea about the Spanish coin, could be a plant by someone there (not the Blankenships though, the old guy was genuinely emotional and 90 year old's don't act that well). But could be anyone looking to either get the show renewed or to get investors to help fund summer #2. OR, of course could have actually been dropped there in the 1600 or 1700's and have been there since then yet has nothing to do with any treasure at all.

If you are Rick or Marty though and don't think this is a trick or plant... Marty was right. He said something like "so these guys are searching for a treasure, then they find a treasure coin and quit". Yeah, I don't think so either.

So, I am feeling like the lady that had lost her dad and brother on Oak Island, I am worried that Rick and Marty will spend their fortune and/or lose their sanity or even lives chasing a hole in the ground.

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
I find it curious they wouldn't give a Close up :icon_scratch:
even if it was a real Spanish coin, and dug there it doesn't prove much.
other then someone dropped or chucked it in the swamp.

if real & not a Fantasy Piece, would look something like this depending on date

View attachment 943408

Spain. Phillip IV of Spain. AE 8 Maravedis (cob coin) 1652. AVF

Cool find though even if it's a recent pub token for an 8 Cent shot.

I thought these guys were Treasure Hunters Though ? Not Spook hunters :dontknow:
acting like signals disappearing was Hocus-Pocus :sadsmiley:
we all know if you break a Halo or change position of a Flat object, or piece of wire,
it will disappear at least for awhile.
Signals disappearing are not spooks moving things around :tongue3:

all the B.S. aside, I wish I could be there :(
the Swamp diving reminded me of Sweet Arrow Lake Mud Hunting 15 Years ago
..... Good Times :metaldetector:
This is what I thought as well. The pictures I was finding when Googling the coin last night showed cobs like your picture yet the coin they "found" war perfectly round. One of the brothers gave it a spin on the table at the end of the show. I found no later round coins doing my search that had that same "8" stamp. I'm not sure the entire show is faked since that island surely cost a pretty penny to purchase but I do suspect the finding of the coin when they were ready to give up was so we all tune in next year for "season 2"..

HenryWaltonJonesJr

Sep 2, 2013
Downtown Chicago
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, AT Pro, Compadre, SeaHunter II, AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It just enough to keep the "High" and plunge them all in. People do find Spanish coins on the east coast, we even see them listed here on Tnet. I looked for one of these, "pieces of 8", that isn't really a piece of 8 because its not silver...but it has an 8 on it. :dontknow:

That eBay auction is interesting, but I noticed the seller is in Spain. They obviously are not THAT rare.

Still its interesting, 150 years of digging and this is the first coin found that dates to the presumed era. The depth is hard to judge they were ripping up the bottom and throwing muck around, but the detectorist found it, presumably, right next to one of the plywood boards they had laid out and not very deep. No way to know if that was the exact moment he found it or if it was edited for television.

I will note that either before or after the show there wasn't the disclaimer statement about the validity of what you see as on other shows.

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
It just enough to keep the "High" and plunge them all in. People do find Spanish coins on the east coast, we even see them listed here on Tnet. I looked for one of these, "pieces of 8", that isn't really a piece of 8 because its not silver...but it has an 8 on it. :dontknow:

That eBay auction is interesting, but I noticed the seller is in Spain. They obviously are not THAT rare.

Still its interesting, 150 years of digging and this is the first coin found that dates to the presumed era. The depth is hard to judge they were ripping up the bottom and throwing muck around, but the detectorist found it, presumably, right next to one of the plywood boards they had laid out and not very deep. No way to know if that was the exact moment he found it or if it was edited for television.

I will note that either before or after the show there wasn't the disclaimer statement about the validity of what you see as on other shows.
What I noticed was that when they threw the muck off to the side they never checked it with their detector. Pretty basic procedure for any of us. If your target suddenly "disappears" from the hole maybe it's not in the hole anymore ? just a thought... lol

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What I noticed was that when they threw the muck off to the side they never checked it with their detector. Pretty basic procedure for any of us. If your target suddenly "disappears" from the hole maybe it's not in the hole anymore ? just a thought... lol

yes it could have been editing, but for Treasure Hunters,
they come off as awfully inexperienced

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread