JunkShopFiddler

Bronze Member
Feb 15, 2013
SW Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTP 1350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Biggest phantom signal ever! Sheesh, said I wasn't going to watch this cartoon but got sucked into it anyway. ...Gee guys, don't know what happened, one minute there is a giant vault sized signal big enough for several guys to stand on :occasion14:...next minute, It's gone! :dontknow: Must have had the sensitivity too high on their three man ten foot square PVC coil...I kept hoping the show would end with KG and Ringy bursting out of the swamp, covered with gunk and yelling, "OAK ISLAND NECTAR, OAK ISLAND NECTAR!" Followed by Ric Savage, who whacks them both over the head with a resounding Garrett bell tone while screaming, "BOOM BABY" and then runs off with the fake Spanish cob and sells it to a local coin shop 47 million dollars and 2 cents.

PS. Ancient astronaut theorists contend the real "curse" of Oak Island is watching the show.

Last edited:

Trajady

Oct 2, 2013
NW Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It just enough to keep the "High" and plunge them all in. People do find Spanish coins on the east coast, we even see them listed here on Tnet. I looked for one of these, "pieces of 8", that isn't really a piece of 8 because its not silver...but it has an 8 on it. :dontknow:

That eBay auction is interesting, but I noticed the seller is in Spain. They obviously are not THAT rare.

Still its interesting, 150 years of digging and this is the first coin found that dates to the presumed era. The depth is hard to judge they were ripping up the bottom and throwing muck around, but the detectorist found it, presumably, right next to one of the plywood boards they had laid out and not very deep. No way to know if that was the exact moment he found it or if it was edited for television.

I will note that either before or after the show there wasn't the disclaimer statement about the validity of what you see as on other shows.

This was what I was thinking. If a coin was lost in 1650 at that location, how deep would it be by now? By the way the show portrayed it, it was right on the surface. As others have said though, it could appear that way because of the editing of the show.

tim185

Jan 7, 2014
Hannibal, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Biggest phantom signal ever! Sheesh, said I wasn't going to watch this cartoon but got sucked into it anyway. ...Gee guys, don't know what happened, one minute there is a giant vault sized signal big enough for several guys to stand on :occasion14:...next minute, It's gone! :dontknow: Must have had the sensitivity too high on their three man ten foot square PVC coil...I kept hoping the show would end with KG and Ringy bursting out of the swamp, covered with gunk and yelling, "OAK ISLAND NECTAR, OAK ISLAND NECTAR!" Followed by Ric Savage, who whacks them both over the head with a resounding Garrett bell tone while screaming, "BOOM BABY" and then runs off with the fake Spanish cob and sells it to a local coin shop 47 million dollars and 2 cents.

PS. Ancient astronaut theorists contend the real "curse" of Oak Island is watching the show.

Now THAT was funny!

Greg58

Tenderfoot
Jan 20, 2014
MA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
New guy here with my first post. Here is what I have learned so far after watching all 5 episodes of 5 total hours. Record it and fast forward through the commercials and the first few minutes when they come back from the commercial and repeat everything. Total watchable time diminishes from 5 hrs to 1hr.
There is so much editing and setup done on these shows it's hard to know whats real or not or how and when something is found. I have some first hand experience with some other shows and nothing is as it seems. That being said, I am enjoying watching (fast forwarding through the BS) and like alot of us would like to be involved at the site with someone elses money supporting it!
Greg
PS:I was very excited to stumble upon this Treasure Hunters Website! So many intersting things and people.

Leila

Jan 12, 2014
Southern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome Greg58!

I've noticed all the repetition on the program too and often get a bit impatient for the show to move forward. I try to look at The Curse of Oak Island from the viewpoint of the program's producers and the viewer.

The producers of the program knew going into this that there was a small segment of the population who knew the whole history of Oak Island, those who had some knowledge of it, and some who had never heard of Oak Island. To get everyone up to speed they had to work the history of Oak Island into the documentary and all the various theories of what could be there, to generate interest.

I think it would have been better to present a good background history, 1785 to present, in a small portion of the first episode, and only a brief recap of the present search at the beginning of each episode and moved each episode along at a faster pace.

I checked out the History Channel's page on The Curse of Oak Island last night and noticed they now call it "season one", so evidently we can expect a "season two" at some point in the future.

ibjeepn

May 27, 2012
Butler, Pa
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic Whites Classic II
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe they'd be better off getting a dredge and heading to the Bering Sea. :goldbar:

JunkShopFiddler

Bronze Member
Feb 15, 2013
SW Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTP 1350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome as well, Greg58...Leila, season two? They always start the show by saying "seven must die" before the island will give up it's secret, right? Maybe they plan to continue until someone on the cast dies?...(boredom or old age count?)

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Let me get this straight.......they found a copper coin that was supposedly lost there 350+ years ago and it came out of a swamp looking that good? Heck, I find wheats that I can't read until I spend an hour cleaning them up! Like the rest of the "finds" they've had on that island through the years, they were probably salted there to keep the investors writing the checks. I too would like to see them actually find something significant but until they come up with a good plan that will follow some sort of orderly scientific process, and not this "voodoo island" nonsense, they're doomed to failure....at least in finding actual treasure.....they still might make a fortune with the show. People are gullible. How else do you explain all the Zombie shows? :laughing7:

Showtime2385

Bronze Member
Nov 19, 2013
NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Garrett AT-Pro, Garrett Pro-pointer-AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This looks like a job for bill ladd, yyeeaahhhh!

JUNKER

Apr 7, 2012
SW FL,Copper Hill VA,Temple ME
Detector(s) used
XLT GrandmastercxIII Surfmaster PI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like show biz to me. What about the big hard object that was in the spot where they were,when they were probing that they thought was a big box. Stay tuned to the next show lol just my two cents seeing they are making money just like todd's show good thing TV is paying them

FinderKeeper

Bronze Member
Apr 7, 2007
Clearfield Pa. and Nova Scotia, Canada
Detector(s) used
Schonstedt sopt, GPL , 2 box, Dowsing Rods, Long Range Locators, Radar, Bounty Hunter & a lot more
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK , I am sure many of you will rag :BangHead: on what I am about to post but The owners of Oak Island did uncover a major find in one of the 5 TV shows aired. This is the best find since the Money Pit was found. The owners of Oak Island don't even know what they found yet but the History Channel does now and I am sure this could answer many of the questions every one has. No I can't talk about what they found but I am sure everyone on this site ( even Dave ) will agree with this. What they found will start a major dig and get things going again. So ya this TV show could air again.

flyadive

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2012
NJ
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Stay tuned for season 2 !
Finderskeepers , since you are in the know, perhaps you could relay a message? Can you tell the producers of curses to keep moving forward ! Not dwell so much on recapping?
They lost my attention half way through the last episode, I fell asleep! That was the last thing I wanted to do cause I really wanted to see the whole episode!!
By the way how is the carbon dating coming?

EccentricInTexas

Jan 14, 2013
Central Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 11DD coil 11x15DD coil 6DD coil
Schiebel AN-19/2,
Bounty Hunter Land Ranger Pro,
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I really had high hopes for this show when I heard about it. I would like to see more of the photos of the man made structures in smiths cove, or atleast them digging them up and finding the drains. As for the vault I suspect it was Jessie James's KGC vault that slipped down a plot hole and is now in Al Capones Basement...

Golden Boy1

Feb 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will admit the disappearing of the objects in the swamp seemed rather strange to me. Maybe it had something to do with the flat rocks they took out. Were those rocks the "vault" they were feeling with their feet? Also, why the heck didn't they mark the spot with a stake or something right after they jumped in and found it in EP-4 so they didn't have to fish around for it in EP-5......... If it were me I would have done what was suggested above and make kind of a barrier around that spot with wood and pumped it out then dug.... Some things just didn't make sense to me...
Also, maybe they used the swamp as a sort of wishing well way back when and tossed those little coins in and made a wish...
Oh yes and I must agree that there is WAYYYYYYY too much repetition and not enough new material...

Last edited:

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Formerly NH now East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
OK , I am sure many of you will rag :BangHead: on what I am about to post but The owners of Oak Island did uncover a major find in one of the 5 TV shows aired. This is the best find since the Money Pit was found. The owners of Oak Island don't even know what they found yet but the History Channel does now and I am sure this could answer many of the questions every one has. No I can't talk about what they found but I am sure everyone on this site ( even Dave ) will agree with this. What they found will start a major dig and get things going again. So ya this TV show could air again.
Scott Wolter is that you ? lol

Dave Rishar

Silver Member
Mar 6, 2008
WA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, XP Deus, Vallon Gizmo
I can neither agree nor disagree with something until I know what's being discussed - which, at this point, I don't. I'm looking forward to continuing this discussion when this major find comes to light.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread