Oak Island - The contrarian views thread! Ver.II arrgggg! arrgggg!

Stretch Da Truth

Bronze Member
Jan 13, 2017
Detector(s) used
XP Déus & a Carrot!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'd like to know what was on the report Dunfield got here.. Was good enough to keep him encouraged to continue on..

January
Robert Dunfield drills four 6-inch diameter holes in the Money Pit area down to almost 190 feet. At 140 feet, a 2-foot layer of wood is struck. After that, the drill drops through a 40-foot void to bedrock. Material removed is sent to University of Southern California in Los Angeles for spectrographic examination and chemical analysis. On receipt of results, kept private, Dunfield announces intent to proceed re-digging on large scale. [4.139] [5.103] [7.183]

Cool info. I would like to see the report as well. I wish we could get copies from all the searcher groups to compare what they logged.
Curious if Dunfield and Chapel drilled core samples similar to how they do it now.
What was the biggest drill drop when the Lags were drilling? 10' - 15' I think... trying to remember.

Last edited:

Raparee

Feb 18, 2016
Nova Scotia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd like to know what was on the report Dunfield got here.. Was good enough to keep him encouraged to continue on..

...or the testing revealed nothing out of the ordinary, and in a fit of frustration, Dunfield digs his pit mine.

n2mini

Jan 7, 2015
Triad NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just don't think that Dunfield who owned his own company would be there just wasting his time if he didn't think there was a good reason to be searching for something. He didn't make a living from digging on Oak Island..

Singlestack Wonder

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2014
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just don't think that Dunfield who owned his own company would be there just wasting his time if he didn't think there was a good reason to be searching for something. He didn't make a living from digging on Oak Island..

Dunfield originally believed something was there, but once he had dug up the entire area to great depths, he too realized the hoax of oak island....

n2mini

Jan 7, 2015
Triad NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just because he left doesn't mean it was or he thought it was a hoax. We don't know what he was thinking. I wish they would find his descendants to talk to and ask Dan Blankenship more about his time with him...

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Doesn't matter what he believed. His results at The Money Pit were similar to everyone else's.

Sunken investment, wasted time, frustration and defeat.

Whether he believed it was still obtainable with further work does not change anything. He started off in error and either learned from it or did not. Beliefs do not convert to riches just because they are stronger.

Singlestack Wonder

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2014
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just because he left doesn't mean it was or he thought it was a hoax. We don't know what he was thinking. I wish they would find his descendants to talk to and ask Dan Blankenship more about his time with him...

Dan finally admitted there was nothing there on the last show....not sure what relevance Dunfield's descendants would have on the matter as Dan is the "expert"....

n2mini

Jan 7, 2015
Triad NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You have said that atleast twice on this site and DAN DID NOT SAY THERE IS NOTHING THERE.. He did say that the only thing they have been able to find is on top of the ground...
Granted he might very well be thinking that but he did not say it...

Stretch Da Truth

Bronze Member
Jan 13, 2017
Detector(s) used
XP Déus & a Carrot!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here is a link to all the goings on on the island from 1641 to 2006 the real interesting stuff is in the 1960's time line ..... lots of shady activity by a lot of people Th Nolan and Dunfield information along with some Blankenship activity is real interesting...
Chronology of the Oak Island Treasure Hunt (1960-1972)

Good link. Thanks for posting.
I actually read it all... from start to present.
A lot of info in there. Sure some might be hearsay but it was still a good read.
Over 10 searcher shafts in the Money Pit area so we know where all the wood comes from. I do believe the broken equipment used was just pushed back into the hole so that might be what the Lag's are stuck on now. Especially cause they are only at 70'.
There were some other good tid bits.. I will see if I can put some in here for us to discuss.

A good one from 1897
June 9 - They clear the Money Pit down to 111 feet, finding a 2.5-foot wide by 4 feet tall opening in the east wall, the flood tunnel. The tunnel is filled with sand, gravel, and beach stones. The sides are perpendicular through solid clay, undoubtedly made by man, sea water flowing through it. In a quantity of sand and gravel is a chip of wood, piece of bark, a bird's bone, all evidence of connection to shore.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread