Oak Island Artifacts: Just the Facts

n2mini

Jan 7, 2015
Triad NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
3. What is jewelry worth these days? When people lose it, do they look for it? Have you ever found any? I sure as hell have. Not just on beaches, either. I've even done nicely on well-manicured fields.

People lose stuff. Sometimes they don't know that they lost it at the time. Even when they do, they don't always find it. It is what it is. Don't overthink it. If people are dropping gold and diamonds today, is it so hard to believe that they were dropping copper and silver back then?

But todays money is much easier to come by then 200-300 years ago. Plus how many people do you think were EVER on the island compared to how many people pass thru a popular beach area in the U.S., or the typical mall parking lot. Odds are 1000 or 10000 times greater for someone to drop something today then it was 200-300 years ago on this island that only had so many people pass thru it in it's life time to date..

Guess I was thinking back in those days 200-300 years ago, if you are not well off you take better care of your money/coins since you don't have much and don't earn much, today we practically throw money away, so losing a few coins is nothing.. and if you lost a valuable diamond ring, well your not poor to start with so you have a different mind set then someone who doesn't have much. Here locally our true homeless people if someone gives them a dollar bill, they will go into a store just to change it to 4 quarters so they can put one in each pocket, and maybe one in each shoe, so in the event they get "rolled" while sleeping they don't lose the whole dollar..

Last edited:

Dave Rishar

Silver Member
Mar 6, 2008
WA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, XP Deus, Vallon Gizmo
But todays money is much easier to come by then 200-300 years ago. Plus how many people do you think were EVER on the island compared to how many people pass thru a popular beach area in the U.S., or the typical mall parking lot. Odds are 1000 or 10000 times greater for someone to drop something today then it was 200-300 years ago on this island that only had so many people pass thru it in it's life time to date..

Guess I was thinking back in those days 200-300 years ago, if you are not well off you take better care of your money/coins since you don't have much and don't earn much, today we practically throw money away, so losing a few coins is nothing.. and if you lost a valuable diamond ring, well your not poor to start with so you have a different mind set then someone who doesn't have much. Here locally our true homeless people if someone gives them a dollar bill, they will go into a store just to change it to 4 quarters so they can put one in each pocket, and maybe one in each shoe, so in the event they get "rolled" while sleeping they don't lose the whole dollar..
And yet they still dropped stuff, and for whatever reason, they didn't always find it again.

Head over to the metal detecting section of this forum for some examples.

OP
OP
TheCoinKid

TheCoinKid

Apr 16, 2013
Texas
Primary Interest:
Other
Like some of the other members here, I, too, enjoyed last week's metal detecting footage. I guess I'm just glad to see something in the way of artifacts come out of the ground on the island. Certainly not getting anything of note coming from the drilling or swamp draining.

TCK

Stretch Da Truth

Bronze Member
Jan 13, 2017
Detector(s) used
XP DĂ©us & a Carrot!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just as legitimate as this "hooked X" marked rock they found in the cove. (Color highlighted - it's much less obvious to a "casual observer").

View attachment 1398751

Random scratches become engravings in a fruitful mind.

This is the infamous Templar Hooked X! Found on the topsoil at the Money Pit! Pretty much tells you they are on the verge of finding the treasure! :headbang:

Like some of the other members here, I, too, enjoyed last week's metal detecting footage. I guess I'm just glad to see something in the way of artifacts come out of the ground on the island. Certainly not getting anything of note coming from the drilling or swamp draining.

TCK

They found that old Spanish nail from the decking of an old ship! That is a pretty good find in the swamp. That expert metal guy pretty much explained the differences of Railroad spikes vs Old Spanish Ships Deck nails.

If they had 2 of those Ocilators they could find the money pit and the sunken ship in the swamp! Payday big time!!!

Raparee

Feb 18, 2016
Nova Scotia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is the infamous Templar Hooked X! Found on the topsoil at the Money Pit! Pretty much tells you they are on the verge of finding the treasure! :headbang:

The Hooked X isn't a thing. It's something Wolter made up. And speaking of Wolter ... Wolter, the king of the Hooked X (which isn't a thing), stated that what was found on Oak Island isn't a Hooked X (which isn't a thing).
Scott Wolter Apparently Solves Mystery of Hooked X, But Not the Way He Thinks He Did - Jason Colavito

They found that old Spanish nail from the decking of an old ship! That is a pretty good find in the swamp. That expert metal guy pretty much explained the differences of Railroad spikes vs Old Spanish Ships Deck nails.

Railroad spike. Not a deck nail. If it were a deck nail from a ship sunk in the swamp, they would have found hundreds of them. They didn't. They found a railroad spike that someone chucked into the swamp at some point in the past.

Last edited:

Stretch Da Truth

Bronze Member
Jan 13, 2017
Detector(s) used
XP DĂ©us & a Carrot!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The Hooked X isn't a thing. It's something Wolter made up. And speaking of Wolter ... Wolter, the king of the Hooked X (which isn't a thing), stated that what was found on Oak Island isn't a Hooked X (which isn't a thing).
Scott Wolter Apparently Solves Mystery of Hooked X, But Not the Way He Thinks He Did - Jason Colavito

Railroad spike. Not a deck nail. If it were a deck nail from a ship sunk in the swamp, they would have found hundreds of them. They didn't. They found a railroad spike that someone chucked into the swamp at some point in the past.

WOW! Isn't a thing that was made up that isn't a thing which isn't a thing! Damn that hurts to say or think about. I wasn't sure who Wolter was so I looked him up and ahhhh, yea.... that nut job from America unearthed... Tried a few episodes but just too far out for me.

So you think that Hooked X was planted in the Money Pit? By the TV show?

I have see RR spikes many times but why would they keep saying it was from a ship and the ends were different? They didn't really show the 2 side by each for easy comparison because.... hey, then we would know it was a RR spike. So that then means nothing is prob in the swamp? They did do a lot of scanning in the swamp both in the summer and winter... most of those results were not promising so I guess we will not see anything substantial come out of the swamp.:BangHead:

Raparee

Feb 18, 2016
Nova Scotia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW! Isn't a thing that was made up that isn't a thing which isn't a thing! Damn that hurts to say or think about. I wasn't sure who Wolter was so I looked him up and ahhhh, yea.... that nut job from America unearthed... Tried a few episodes but just too far out for me.

So you think that Hooked X was planted in the Money Pit? By the TV show?

I have see RR spikes many times but why would they keep saying it was from a ship and the ends were different? They didn't really show the 2 side by each for easy comparison because.... hey, then we would know it was a RR spike. So that then means nothing is prob in the swamp? They did do a lot of scanning in the swamp both in the summer and winter... most of those results were not promising so I guess we will not see anything substantial come out of the swamp.:BangHead:

Like most of the Hooked X's found by Wolter et al, the one found on Oak island is probably just a series of random scratches. Wolter came up with this Hooked X foolishness as a way to milk more money out of that Kennsington 'Rune Stone', and to keep himself relevant in the fringe history community, especially since his show was cancelled. Apparently, according to Wolter, the Hooked X is not simply a variant of the Norse "A" rune (if that), but a symbol which represents the holy bloodline, and is used exclusively by the Templars... despite there having been no examples of a Hooked X found at known Templar sites. Absolute numbnuttery.

I'm guessing that they keep calling the spike a deck nail to keep people interested, and keen on the idea that they may actually find something. I mean, how many seasons can they find nothing while maintaining a viewer base?

Roadhse2

Mar 15, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another hint that it is a RR spike is that it was reported there used to be a small gauge railway on the island for moving material around...and none of a large galleon parking in the swamp.

I am sure the deck nails were shaped different than a RR spike not only in length, but in the top also. The top should be more like a normal spike with an extended surface all the way around it to capture the wood, not like a RR spike that only has to capture the edge of the steel rail and so is extended only on one side. What I saw in the show was a RR spike...if you saw different, is ok by me.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You mean this isn't a Hooked Link from Templar chain mail? Rats. So much for me getting on the show.

Beverage_pull_tab.jpg

Raparee

Feb 18, 2016
Nova Scotia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"A pull tab? Found on an island in the North Atlantic? Could it be a relic of thirsty Templars refreshing themselves while digging a treasure vault?"

You're in.:icon_thumleft:

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any thoughts on the gold cross of the McGinnis sisters? Not much presented to support authenticity (chain of custody, metallurgy composition, etc..), but, if real, it would certainly be a game-changer.

The dreamer that I am, says, WOW!!! The skeptic that I have become, says PLANT.

(I apologize if the topic has been discussed on other threads, I haven't looked lately)

Still trying to add to my list of authenticated artifacts supporting treasure on the island.

TCK
I couldn't get behind the cross at all. No provenance at all. Is there any mention of this artifact in their family records or letters? I sincerely don't think it's an out & out plant. My theory or assumption is they are three little old sisters that aren't well off. What kind of money did they get to appear? Are or have they been paid to do interviews etc. If they're from a small town getting your picture or story in the papers would be a big heap of notoriety. Has anyone heard of them or their story before this show? All of a sudden they pop up. Don't know why but I see some producer researching and coming up with them and said "You wanna be on the show?" Of course they would! They're famous now!

gazzahk

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I couldn't get behind the cross at all. No provenance at all. Is there any mention of this artifact in their family records or letters? I sincerely don't think it's an out & out plant. My theory or assumption is they are three little old sisters that aren't well off. What kind of money did they get to appear? Are or have they been paid to do interviews etc. If they're from a small town getting your picture or story in the papers would be a big heap of notoriety. Has anyone heard of them or their story before this show? All of a sudden they pop up. Don't know why but I see some producer researching and coming up with them and said "You wanna be on the show?" Of course they would! They're famous now!
The Blockhouse Blog - The Oak Island Compendium

It was reporeted with photo shown in 2007 years before the brothers started there tv show and with the descendents receiving no money for telling there story.

Last edited:

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for posting that. I'll have to look at it a little more. Haven't had a bunch of time to do any REAL digging on this with three projects going myself. When I say paid, I'm not saying Here sit in the front of the camera, Ok here's your check thank you mam! A expenses paid trip, accommodations can be considered payment. It doesn't even have to be monetary. A copy of the episode signed by the cast & crew. A handful of autographed photos and a place in the tale of Oak Island could be considered a form of payment. Go back and watch the episode again. Focus on the other two sisters body language and facial expressions etc. Tell me what you think. I'd like to hear from some here that have law enforcement or interrogation experience. It'd be interesting to see what others pick up.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Woo Hoo. Maybe I can steal some valor and get a Monkey Division beret and have my own spin-off TV show!

"Treasures with Commodore Charlie"

This week: Is the Spear of Destiny the secret to Little Caesar's Pizza Empire?

caesar_inner_page.png

Last edited:

Stretch Da Truth

Bronze Member
Jan 13, 2017
Detector(s) used
XP DĂ©us & a Carrot!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for posting that. I'll have to look at it a little more. Haven't had a bunch of time to do any REAL digging on this with three projects going myself. When I say paid, I'm not saying Here sit in the front of the camera, Ok here's your check thank you mam! A expenses paid trip, accommodations can be considered payment. It doesn't even have to be monetary. A copy of the episode signed by the cast & crew. A handful of autographed photos and a place in the tale of Oak Island could be considered a form of payment. Go back and watch the episode again. Focus on the other two sisters body language and facial expressions etc. Tell me what you think. I'd like to hear from some here that have law enforcement or interrogation experience. It'd be interesting to see what others pick up.

I will agree it looked a little staged/scripted for my taste. But they have to do something to Stretch out Da season and make to #5. Have been posts about the cross on here. Most agree it looks new or fake, not some 600+ year old relic.

I can see how some might call Charlies Hooked Link a pull tab but it really looks old and has a Templar vibe to it. Chain mail artifact for sure.

Scott Wolter is over checking out my Atlantis portal so he can check out the Chain Mail after and it is looking like we might both get our own shows. Only downside is we get the narrator from OI!!!!!

Stretch Da Truth

Bronze Member
Jan 13, 2017
Detector(s) used
XP DĂ©us & a Carrot!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Woo Hoo. Maybe I can steal some valor and get a Monkey Division beret and have my own spin-off TV show!

"Treasures with Commodore Charlie"

This week: Is the Spear of Destiny the secret to Little Caesar's Pizza Empire?

caesar_inner_page.png

That is awesome! Said with the right voice, it is totally believable and would make a good pilot episode. I will watch for sure!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread