coconut coir: a history

Raparee

Feb 18, 2016
Nova Scotia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also if you have read the links you would notice Beta Analytic called the material coconut fibre with no reservation.

You sure about that? I went through the Beta Analytic reports on the UK forum you linked to. There is no mention of coconut in any of them, with the exception of what has been scrawled in the margin by whoever received the reports.

I also read through the Harvard report that identified the material as Manila hemp...

Cheers, Raparee.

OP
OP
L

lokiblossom

Bronze Member
Dec 4, 2014
Traverse City, Mi.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
You sure about that? I went through the Beta Analytic reports on the UK forum you linked to. There is no mention of coconut in any of them, with the exception of what has been scrawled in the margin by whoever received the reports.

I also read through the Harvard report that identified the material as Manila hemp...

Cheers, Raparee.

No, the note from Nieman to Oak Island investors dated October 6, 1993, clearly states
"Beta Analytic, the C-14 lab that performed our test, indicated that coconut fiber is an ideal substance to date since the coconut is a growth that occurs annually...."
And there is still the other sources I mentioned, I also have a note that the Oak Island Museum director 'Charles Barkhouse' wrote that Woods Hole identified the material as coconut fibre in 1995. I am checking on this with Charles now, and also what Richard C. Nieman's role was in the deal.
I have to reread the Harvard note, but I had thought that was their best guess at the time?

Cheers, Loki

Pippin

Jan 15, 2017
Detector(s) used
Deus XP
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Correct me if I'm wrong but I understand eel grass was found with the coir. Was this carbon dated?

gazzahk

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
coconut-fibres.jpg

This looks like coconut fibres to me....

Raparee

Feb 18, 2016
Nova Scotia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No, the note from Nieman to Oak Island investors dated October 6, 1993, clearly states
"Beta Analytic, the C-14 lab that performed our test, indicated that coconut fiber is an ideal substance to date since the coconut is a growth that occurs annually...."

Nieman calling it coconut isn't the same as Beta Analytic calling it coconut, is it?

OP
OP
L

lokiblossom

Bronze Member
Dec 4, 2014
Traverse City, Mi.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Unfortunately "looks like" isn't a scientifically valid assessment.

Ok then, how about the Lagino's own SEM identification and what the National Research Council of Canada learned from Chief Botanist of the National Museum of Natural Sciences?

Cheers, Loki

Raparee

Feb 18, 2016
Nova Scotia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok then, how about the Lagino's own SEM identification and what the National Research Council of Canada learned from Chief Botanist of the National Museum of Natural Sciences?

Cheers, Loki

I didn't see that episode, nor have I seen the documentation of the Lagina's SEM ID, but considering the show tried to convince it's viewers that a railroad spike was a deck nail off a Spanish galleon, I have difficulty believing anything from them.

The NRC? Well, I give you that one.... tentatively, and only until I have the time to look into it further.

So, there's one ID for coconut, one for Manila hemp, and a bunch of 'I don't know'.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
In any archaeological dig or site has coconut fiber been associated with anything of value (packing) or shown evidence of use as a filter media?

Just curious why anyone cares about coir. Near as I can tell it has uses as mattresses, furniture upholstery, rope and floormats.

Pippin

Jan 15, 2017
Detector(s) used
Deus XP
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
By the non answer I can assume that either a carbon test wasn't or can't be done on the eelgrass. So why are you worried about the coir. There isn't an answer to when it actually landed on Oak Island and that is the only important date. Loki you can't possibly be using the presence of this coir as the foundation for your Templar premise. You have to have some other sources of information?

Pippin

Jan 15, 2017
Detector(s) used
Deus XP
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
What?

Raparee I see your from Nova Scotia. Have you been to the site at New Ross?

Raparee

Feb 18, 2016
Nova Scotia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What?

Raparee I see your from Nova Scotia. Have you been to the site at New Ross?

Yeah, part of Loki's premise includes a statue pointing at a letter 'R'. There's more to it, of coarse, but much of it is along that vein.

No I haven't been to the New Ross (not Charing Cross) site. I wanted to see it last fall when the individual running the operation there was in town, but there were some *ahem* scheduling issues (to be diplomatic about it). Maybe when he's back in the spring. It's only 25 minutes from me, so I'd like to see what he's going on about.

Pippin

Jan 15, 2017
Detector(s) used
Deus XP
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Years ago I used to live in North Alton and my wife's family is from that area. I spent a lot of time fishing the Gold River, its a nice place.

Raparee

Feb 18, 2016
Nova Scotia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm in Kentville. I haven't fished the Gold River. I hear that the odd salmon still makes it's way up to the New Ross area. Any decent trout in it? I fish more to the west of the province. The Medway and Mersey Rivers whenever I can.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread