From Nazi gold to the Holy Grail: the world’s most hunted treasures

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Or "ostensibly purported" for most that are bouncing around here.

Perhaps "no evidence yet supports, but . . . "?

Dave Rishar

Silver Member
Mar 6, 2008
WA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, XP Deus, Vallon Gizmo
The preferred term in modern journalism is "...according to anonymous sources...". My preferred term for these theories (and other fake news and/or poorly sourced or unsourced speculation) is "horse apples," which while admittedly archaic is useful for getting the point across in a family friendly manner.

On less restrictive forums and in person, I prefer a cruder but more descriptive phrase. I'll not repeat it here, but it rhymes with "clucking woolspit."

We now return you to your regularly scheduled horse apples.

Raparee

Feb 18, 2016
Nova Scotia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I suppose I could if I thought that way, but unfortunately I think my theory is true so I will not use the word alleged!

Loki[/QUOTE

Believing it true does not make it so. You can call your theory 'true' or 'fact' when you actually have something concrete to verify it (ie: not pointing statues). Until then, for reality's sake, you probably should use the word 'alleged'.

lokiblossom

Bronze Member
Dec 4, 2014
Traverse City, Mi.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I suppose I could if I thought that way, but unfortunately I think my theory is true so I will not use the word alleged!

Loki[/QUOTE

Believing it true does not make it so. You can call your theory 'true' or 'fact' when you actually have something concrete to verify it (ie: not pointing statues). Until then, for reality's sake, you probably should use the word 'alleged'.

I disagree, IMHO it is true and a fact. Believing something is true makes it a fact to that person. remember I have seen the fingers pointing in paintings as well as in statues. In all honesty to myself I cannot call it "alleged". You can call it alleged, fantasy or anything you like for that matter.
Loki

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
it is a hypothesis until evidence appears. Then you can call it a theory until the evidence can be verified.

Raparee

Feb 18, 2016
Nova Scotia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I disagree, IMHO it is true and a fact. Believing something is true makes it a fact to that person. remember I have seen the fingers pointing in paintings as well as in statues. In all honesty to myself I cannot call it "alleged". You can call it alleged, fantasy or anything you like for that matter.
Loki

There is true and false, fact and fiction, real and imaginary. Someone believing that the world is flat doesn't make it so, even to them. It is roundish regardless of how deeply a person believes otherwise. Someone believing that Templars hid some magic treasure in NS doesn't mean it actually happened, even to them. Belief is irrelevant. What can be proven by concrete and verifiable evidence is all that matters. None has been presented.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

lokiblossom

Bronze Member
Dec 4, 2014
Traverse City, Mi.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
There is true and false, fact and fiction, real and imaginary. Someone believing that the world is flat doesn't make it so, even to them. It is roundish regardless of how deeply a person believes otherwise. Someone believing that Templars hid some magic treasure in NS doesn't mean it actually happened, even to them. Belief is irrelevant. What can be proven by concrete and verifiable evidence is all that matters. None has been presented.

Interesting that you brought up the flat earth thing. Galileo Galilei had evidence of and taught 'Heliocentrism' but because his evidence wasn't accepted he spent the rest of his life under house arrest.
We were talking about using the word alleged, right? Galileo knew he was right and I'm sure he didn't use the word 'alleged'. I know I'm right and I will not use the word 'alleged'.:thumbsup:

Cheers, Loki

Last edited:

Raparee

Feb 18, 2016
Nova Scotia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting that you brought up the flat earth thing. Galileo Galilei had evidence of and taught 'Heliocentrism' but because his evidence wasn't accepted he spent the rest of his life under house arrest.
We were talking about using the word alleged, right? Galileo knew he was right and I'm sure he didn't use the word 'alleged'. I know I'm right and I will not use the word 'alleged'.:thumbsup:

Cheers, Loki

Galileo actually had evidence supporting his theory, though, and wasn't operating on mere faith.

Ryano

Feb 16, 2014
St. Augustine, FL
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Dave's post "triggered" me to write: There's been attempts by public figures to discredit good reporting by calling a protected source anonymous; implying a lack of distinction between an anonymous source (reporter gets a phone call from a disembodied voice w/ "unknown number", for example) and a source who is a known entity (but their identity is kept secret from the public for valid reasons).

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread