Season 7 - The story goes on...

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
View attachment 1775727

ShowNetTimeTotal viewers (000s)18-49 rating
CURSE OF OAK ISLANDHISTORY9:00 PM3,1370.7

“The Curse of Oak Island” was once again the top-rated broadcast of the Tuesday cable ratings.
The History Channel reality series scored a 0.7 rating in adults 18-49, defeating the rest of the night’s programming and outpacing its previous score by one-tenth of a point.

138.2 million 18-49: 138.2 million (42.2%) (pop share down) [/QUOTE]

138,200 (000s) people in the US so their audience is 2.2% of the target population. Happily some Americans must not own TV's or participate in polls. ;-)

Last edited:

MikeN

Feb 22, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There certainly seems to be a lot less people watching that are visiting this forum. There are very few posters this series....

Everyone is just waiting for the season finale, where they can see the whole season at one sitting - 20 minutes of new and 1 hr/40 minutes of recap.

OP
OP
gazzahk

gazzahk

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
18,000 explosive charges to sonic map more of the island. Even though all the other sonic mapping exercises have shown nothing much of any significance... Those guys from the geo team must be rubbing their hands together in glee. They have found a treasure chest in the Laginas...

So they found sand. The previous digging of 'the latrine' exposed by the previous sonic drilling was just sand. So it seems that deposits of sand under the ground are pretty common. They seem to have abandoned the idea that the wood they found last episode was the flood tunnel now it is the sand that is the flood tunnel. Then they just give up drilling because there is no more wood or sand. So I guess that means no more flood tunnel. So lets abandon the 'expensive' drilling and change to the super expensive sonic mapping. So much wasted money....

Why is a chisel even considered evidence of mining. Even if it is a stone chisel the whole foundations of the house are stone. Surely he could of been chiseling these foundation stones when building his house. I find the bald guy pretty irritating in his assertions of everything being treasure related. Who cares if Mc Gunnies had a cellar. He spent his time looking for treasure I am sure if he found it he did not leave it sitting in his cellar.

The theory that the structure in Smith Cove could of been an old Naval fortification seems plausible. The assumption it was used to hide treasure and then abandoned is farcical. There were people living around Island at those mentioned dates. This would mean the French come there built a fort. Buried a treasure. Pulled down the fort and left the treasure there. The whole time no locals noticed this happening or went to check it out when they left.

The old drain they found seems another total furphy... They have dug up everywhere the money pit could be already. They have dug 10 x 60 inch holes. That is near a 50 square foot hole in total. They have dug over 80 small holes (geo mapping) in the area. They have dug another at least 8 smaller (what were they 40 inch holes) in the area. What is left to be dug. The idea that even if the trace the drain back to the other previous pit (not the money pit) I do not see what that could possibly show them. Every bit of the 'possible' area of money pit has been dug and NOTHING treasure related has been found. There cannot be any virgin soil left (not to mention what Dunfeild and the others dug)

I just had this episode running in the background ('ad free' download) as I struggle to watch it any longer. I am still interested in OI history so I will persevere with this method of 'watching' the show. It is pretty poor television though I cannot believe how much they are stretching out their lack of finds.

n2mini

Jan 7, 2015
Triad NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If there was a Navel fortification and they did bury treasure the guards would have kept everybody that wasn't in on what they were doing away from that area don't you think. I'm by no means saying I think that is what happened just that if it did no locals would have been allowed to get close to it...Plus we don't know if they tore it down as they left or if it was just left there and deteriorated over time... I do think that if they did bury treasure they probably came back and got it at some point, wouldn't that have been the plan all along...
I know the whole story here is people thinking that someone buried treasure ( for whatever reason ) but everyone who buries treasure has a plan to come back to get it. The OI Story is based on that and the belief that whoever it was didn't come back to get it...BUT, what if they did...

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If there was a Navel fortification and they did bury treasure the guards would have kept everybody that wasn't in on what they were doing away from that area don't you think. I'm by no means saying I think that is what happened just that if it did no locals would have been allowed to get close to it...Plus we don't know if they tore it down as they left or if it was just left there and deteriorated over time... I do think that if they did bury treasure they probably came back and got it at some point, wouldn't that have been the plan all along...
I know the whole story here is people thinking that someone buried treasure ( for whatever reason ) but everyone who buries treasure has a plan to come back to get it. The OI Story is based on that and the belief that whoever it was didn't come back to get it...BUT, what if they did...

The British had an outpost in Smith's Cove from 1730 or earlier to 1738. I know two troops that were stationed there at that time. They had been transferred up from Jamaica. The treasure had been there for over 230 years before that time and these two men checked in on the treasure. They did not say where it was buried or how deep. But don't you think if these two men knew where the treasure was located and I know of at least 15 other men that knew where the treasure was buried, they would have recovered the treasures at a later date. A ship load of treasure is not going to be forgotten about especially have it has been guarded for over 200 years. Some of their treasures have been guarded for over 500 years still today.

freeman

Apr 5, 2003
Just pretend work for the cameras now. They've given up.

This episode they core an area and up comes, gasp, sand which they pretend to wonder about.

Then they dig up the downsloping drainage ditch at the side of the road which is clearly wet already unearthing a disused pipe and wonders of wonder again, water.

I suppose it makes a change from digging up the trash dump and acting surprised at the scrap found.

Last edited:
OP
OP
gazzahk

gazzahk

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If there was a Navel fortification and they did bury treasure the guards would have kept everybody that wasn't in on what they were doing away from that area don't you think. I'm by no means saying I think that is what happened just that if it did no locals would have been allowed to get close to it...Plus we don't know if they tore it down as they left or if it was just left there and deteriorated over time...
It was only 20 years later that the 'money pit' was found.... That is not long for the fortification to deteriorate... Not only that but all knowledge of said fortification to be lost from history....

The guards would not of been there to protect the treasure once they left. The locals would of come to see what the guards had been protecting. Surely the French Navy would not have built a naval battery and then buried a treasure and then left all in a 20 year period with no one in the area making any record of this or having any memory

The logs found in smiths cove were only 20 ish years pre the pit. This means it was built only 'at most' 25 years before the pit was found (could of been later if the logs were cut down 25 years earlier and not used straight away).

It just is not a plausible explanation given the short time period between the date of the structures and the finding of the pit. OI at the time had alrady been survived into lots. There was an established fishing industry in the area at the time.

The structures must of been pretty ordinary and un remarkable for no recorded knowledge of them. A naval battery by the French in land not owned by the French does not fit the bill...

The first major group of settlers arrived in the Chester area from Massachusetts in 1761, and Oak Island was officially surveyed and divided into 32 four-acre lots in the following year.

source; https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oak_Island

HunterNC

Greenie
Dec 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With smith cove blocked, why not pump water out of all of the old holes like 10X that they talked about for seasons but never got anywhere because they were flooded and go down there and see for sure if there is anything interesting. Remember the tunnel with the flakes of gold. How about the one with the leather bindings and bones.

Also, curious how a U-shaped structure 6 inches tall is a naval fortification. Would hate to have that between me and an enemy ship.

I am not a hater, and love the story for historical purposes. Just really hate the way it is presented.

freeman

Apr 5, 2003
French pay joint.png

If you want some proof that the show is no longer a real search read the articles.

You have only two possibilities:

Either the latest visiting theorist was completely useless at researching because he didn't even know of the event that started the 'french pay ship' legend for Oak Island or that the 'treasure' on it was actually recovered in 1966?

OR;

Those on the show don't even do a cursory check anymore as they don't care what is presented as it's done just to keep you watching.

Last edited:

MikeN

Feb 22, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This week, Billy delivers the goods! Most of the interesting stuff was searcher related, but the coolest searcher find was being able to follow the sluice gate across the road and not lose it as I expected. Not only that, but to find shaft #9.

The sonic survey will be useful; sand traps are likely to be small or twisting, while an actual tunnel will be nearly exactly straight.

I don't buy the 'ship lost at sea' theory - the last thing a stranded crew would have done would be to dig a deep hole of any kind; at best a 10 foot hole would securely hide a bunch of treasure.

OP
OP
gazzahk

gazzahk

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This week, Billy delivers the goods! Most of the interesting stuff was searcher related, but the coolest searcher find was being able to follow the sluice gate across the road and not lose it as I expected. Not only that, but to find shaft #9.

The sonic survey will be useful; sand traps are likely to be small or twisting, while an actual tunnel will be nearly exactly straight.

I don't buy the 'ship lost at sea' theory - the last thing a stranded crew would have done would be to dig a deep hole of any kind; at best a 10 foot hole would securely hide a bunch of treasure.
Probably the most interesting episode so far. The old searcher stuff is just incredible. That shaft 9 was built in 1850s 12 feet by (9ft) down to over 100 feet and it was 100 foot away from where they thought the money pit was. What a massive effort looking for something that had never had any evidence is even there. Amazing!

I do not see what finding it though will help. It is 100 foot away from the money pit and they do not know which direction. Even if there was a tunnel between it would of been dug up by all the other peoples digging. They have always known the general vicinity of the money pit. I imagine that is why no one else has bothered digging shaft 9 up. It simply does not help anyone find the original pit location.

The sonic mapping seems pretty spectacular but it has not delivered anything useful so far. Still it will be interesting when the results come out. Maybe season 8......

Zom

Dec 8, 2019
USA
Detector(s) used
1975 White Discriminator. Sorry, my metal detector days are over.
Primary Interest:
Other
With smith cove blocked, why not pump water out of all of the old holes like 10X that they talked about for seasons but never got anywhere because they were flooded and go down there and see for sure if there is anything interesting.

I know they haven't followed what the consider the "flood tunnel" back from Smith's Cove yet, but one might think that if the tunnel soon had to descend down to the 90' level 600' away at the "money pit" we would not see water flowing out into Smith's Cove unless it's water trapped in the upper sections of the tunnel. If it keeps on flowing I suspect it's merely ground water flowing down from the elevated section of land nearby. Whatever precipitation OI receives doesn't become surface runoff seeps into the ground and flows downhill to the sea.

MikeN

Feb 22, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's a bad sign when the program intro is extended at least 30 seconds longer. This week they perform math to get closer to the money pit. I'm not personally convinced by the "wood" and "disturbed soil" samples though.
They get a credible lead on the 90 foot stone, but I don't believe they will find it in the latest location they're looking for it.
Smith Cove continues to be interesting, but it's too early to tell what it will be - an old sunken house boat?

lnlver

Tenderfoot
Apr 10, 2019
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Billy Gerhardt has advanced from a 'heavy equipment operator' to owner of 'Gerhardt Property Improvement' in one year! I still believe he has a case of Pabst underneath the excavator's seat and whatever he doesn't drink during the day, he polishes the rest off each night.

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Al D

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2011
Gold canyon AZ
Detector(s) used
DJI Air 2S
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Your wise cracks only show how many cracks are in your wise.
Perhaps I should rephrase the question since any comment upon your grammar will get me a time out.
do you claim to know who these individual were? if so, please post names
while I am at it, why not shoot for the moon, got a source as well?

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't think so.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread