Looking for Atoka County info-any experts out there?

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Actually RGINN Atoka gets its name from a confederate Choctaw named Captain Atoka. I grew up in this county and know most of its history. I have known all the park managers that have worked the park over the years. The park managers there WILL NOT let anyone detect there. I doubt you ever got to detect the park do to the fact that it wouldn't be worth their job to let some "friend" MD.
'Atoka' is from the Choctaw word 'Hitoka' meaning ball ground. There was a ballground in the area around the present site of Atoka. That's what Captain Atoka's name means, ball ground. Yes you can detect in Oklahoma parks but it varies from park to park on where you can do that. You probably couldn't detect at all in Boggy Depot due to the historical background. My family is from southeastern Oklahoma since the removal and my lineage goes back to the Folsom family. One of my cousins has his name on that war memorial in Tuskahoma. I heard that Boggy Depot was bein taken out of the state parks system. And I did detect in Boggy Depot only around the camping areas with no problem. Looking only for items less than 50 years old.

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BoggyBottomJay I apologize because I should have mentioned that I was an employee of Oklahoma Tourism and Recreation from 93 to 2000, Park Ranger in the season and special projects in the off season. I did some PR writing for state parks and was recognized by the Keating administration for it. You know, that probably might have opened some doors for me that wouldn't happen for the average visitor. That ain't fair to everybody else. I was more interested in locating new areas of historical interest and seein they were preserved, rather than diggin up a bunch of stuff.

PMForb

Nov 18, 2014
Honolulu, HI
Detector(s) used
Heathkit, Whites 6000, Garrett, Whites (2) Box, GPR, and LDR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Town of Wapanucka used to be located around HI 7 and HI 7D near present day Wapanucka. In the late 1890's the train used to stop there to let the folks off at the Bromide Sulfur Springs. Several Hotels were in full swing back then. There used to be an old Chickasaw Rock Academy (ruins) that had the Stage stop at in the middle 1850's. At present the land is posted for leased hunting and closed to the public.

I have gone to Oklahoma University Library to search for OLD MAPS. They have a great collection of really old maps in their archives that they will actually let you photograph or even xerox. They did have old railroad maps and stage coach maps that looked pretty detailed.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread