Any ideas what this could be?

RCarson

Jun 20, 2012
image-4137886710.jpg

image-3650332215.jpg

image-856761183.jpg

image-1064612875.jpg

image-1263504563.jpg

I just found this today bc the water level is so low now. The lake was built in 1953. Lots of Indian activity in this area way back when and still living around there today. It would've been about 30' up from the bottom of the valley and about 30' down from the top. I'm assuming that the rock would have been sitting up level at the time. I looked around a little bit but didn't see anymore. Any idea what we found? Is it natural?

OP
OP
R

RCarson

Jun 20, 2012
The rock under the hole is bowled out in line w the hole and the edges of the whole are worn to a rounded corner on the top and bottom of the hole

OP
OP
R

RCarson

Jun 20, 2012
It says that I found it today. That is an error. I actually found it Sunday.

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Bedrock mortar: Indian women would start with a natural hole or depression in the rock. After hundreds of years of use the hole would get deeper and deeper. Some of the hole in this rock were used till they went right through the rock!!! Look around, you might find one or more pestles.
Don.....

OP
OP
R

RCarson

Jun 20, 2012
I looked around a little bit but not much. I won't be back for a couple of weeks but I will be spending a lot more time looking this place over. It is an amazingly beautiful place that we absolutely love.

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
They ground corn into meal, acorns into flour and so on. That's what they did with the hole.

Gold Maven

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2012
Holmes County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe that is natural. The rock that created the hole was harder than the limestone, came to rest in a natural depression, and then 60 years of wave action rocking the stone bored a hole through.
It just doesn't look like the typical mortar, and they are never worn completely through.

OP
OP
R

RCarson

Jun 20, 2012
I did take a rock out of it to take the picture but it didn't look like it had any wear at all. I'm going back next weekend. The rock that I removed is sitting right by it. I'll look at it again

TheMcs

Nov 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've seen the same thing along the shoreline of Ft Gibson lake. I've got a picture somewhere at home.

OP
OP
R

RCarson

Jun 20, 2012
Ft Gibson is only about 80 miles from Lake Eucha. And I'll go w bedrock mortar bc I have no idea what else it could be. The only thing that throws me off is that the lip on the bottom is just as smooth and rounded as the top edge.

maipenrai

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2010
Thailand/Europe/California
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 2 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not a naturally formed hole. Natural holes are only formed with lots of water movement, waves or currents, and I dont think it could form in the 60 years of this lake, even with water movement.

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
I think both places are boat docks for canoes. A limb was inserted in the holes for a place of tie the canoes to in areas they could not portage over.

OP
OP
R

RCarson

Jun 20, 2012
I would go w the dock idea but the only problem w that is that this lake is only about 60 yrs old and this would've been 30-40' up on a hillside, The water is now 30-40' deep anyway, and the river, Spavinaw, is on the other side of the lake from where this thing is.
I was thinking maybe something that someone would put a spoke in and run a rope of some sort up around it and back down and use it to pull something up the hillside. It is about 1/2 way up the hill if there was no water.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread