My new XJ9-3050 from Treasure Hunter

LuckyLarry

Dec 16, 2005
Sweet Home, Oregon
Detector(s) used
I had to sideline for awhile, too much quarreling, brand defensiveness, and seeing certain people waging war on others. It got to be too silly for me after awhile..
Primary Interest:
Other
I bought one of those for $99 (new) just to see if there was anything good about it. I figured I could always get my $99 back. It does work, but it is weak. It is nose heavy because of the over-sized box and the weight of the search coil. Within 2 days the volume became weak, and it's because of a poor speaker connection. However, its all-metal mode runs quite smoothly, and in air it tests a clad US quarter at 10", and in the ground its AM mode runs almost flawlessly, and it goes substantially deeper than in discrimination mode. Ground depth on a quarter around here and on our high Fe and Na beaches is about 5", roughly equal to a Tesoro Compadre used in the same areas. We have some nasty soil here. For a better comparison, a Fisher CZ goes 8" (MAX) in the same conditions on a clad quarter, while a Minelab Sovereign goes 7" (MAX) on the quarter.. Always remember that you get what you pay for, and always try before you buy..

Last edited:

Tryptiks

Jul 20, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
that detector is not even a good toy for kids...stick to the name brands...and you will have better luck!!

Gary

The XJ9 3050 is a good metal detector for the experienced user, it is a little difficult when just coming into the game, I've been using mine for 7 years now and I have found it to be a good tool for the job. The depth differs from area to area depending on the soil make up, I can average between 4 in and 16 in detectable depth and have found things at all the depths including 16 in. It discriminates very well, but this mode needs to be tweeked to suit the area (ground) that it is being used on.
The best practice I've found that will get the interesting stuff is
- Always start on all metals, you can track the approximate size of the object
- Once the approximate location of the object is defined, then use the discriminating setting that you think is appropriate and go over the area again, it will show material and depth at this point. If it is being difficult and you think the treasure is there then remove some of the covering soil for a more accurate reading. If it shows nothing then there is a pop can, bottle cap etc (junk) unless you collect these things.
- Switching modes is easy and instant on this detector, checking the gnd balance is about the only adjustment that needs to be tweeked, along with the sensitivity. You would be surprised the difference moving 1 in of soil makes.

Overall a good detector but not newbie friendly. It does everything it claimed to do, and does it well, only thing that should be added to the description is "Some experience is required" and for god sakes don't loose the manual because its almost impossible to get another, took me a week to find the PDF download.

Tryptiks

Jul 20, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Always remember that this equipment works by making different sounds, even on all metals sometimes due to ground metals and sensitivity settings there is always a steady signal, when the MD is moved back and forth you will notice the pith change, the highest tone is the area the object is in, I've found that the all metal will narrow the area to the size of the coil, then when switched to the discriminating setting you can narrow it down to approximatel a 4 x 4 in area.

coast40

Apr 3, 2015
Central Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
Simplex Lite, AT Pro, Fisher Gold Bug, Fisher F2, TRXs, CarrotZ, Lesche diggers, Bobcat excavator
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMO, the best bang for the buck is a used Fisher F2.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread