PI Sand Shark under water machine from Treasure Hunter, any experiences?

flipper123

Greenie
Jan 11, 2011
caribbean
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
Hi there,
just new in here. Like to buy an uw machine to start. Already know, that PI is best option for surf and wet sand- ok minelab excalibur would do it perfect,too, but out of price range.
Want to buy any mid price PI. Just found the sand tiger from treasure hunter-(not Tesoro!) Its a cheap PI machine about 250 US. Anybody has any experience with this machine? http://www.treasurehunteronline.com/underwaterdetectors.html
They say, it detects 50c in 8" and larger objects to 10"+
Can you do something wrong with this cheap PI or should I invest 650 in a garrett seahunter? ::)

therover

Feb 23, 2008
NJ
Detector(s) used
CZ6a (2),Infinium, E-Trac,CZ20, X5, CZ20,X-Terra 705, Treasure Baron Goldtrax, XL-Pro
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Do not buy any cheap waterproof machine. You are going to pay a little more for a new one vs. a used on on the classifieds, but there are good deals on the classifieds.

Look for a Garrett Sea Hunter that you mentioned, Tesoro Sand Shark, or a Whites Surf PI Pro or Whites Dual Field. The Detector Pro Head Hunter PI is also a good unit, but only rated to 6 feet.

Save the $250 and invest in a good, quality unit.

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
A Propointer tied to a stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Rover is correct. Check to see who is manufacturing this unit. If it is not a well known company (Minelab, Garrett, Tesoro, Whites, etc.) you may well be wasting your money.

That is especially true of water units. The cheap ones are awful!

If you see any used water unit for sale for less than $300 (US), or a new one for less than $600 (US), be suspicious.

OP
OP
F

flipper123

Greenie
Jan 11, 2011
caribbean
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
Ok, thanks for your advise,
I will spend my money in better machines.
happy hunting..... Flipper

Adrian SS

Dec 7, 2008
Canberra
Detector(s) used
LST, BDHI,Infinium,Sov XS,6000DI Pro SL,Scorpion,V-SAT,Spectrum XLT,Gold Spear,Scorpion,Sand Shark, Compadre,Sierra Madre,Safari, SDC2300, Sea Hunter,CS4PI,TDI OZ Pro, Vallon VMH3CS. Gardiner 202A
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I had one of these for about a month. It is nothing brilliant and is what I think to be a poor attempt to make a detector similar to the 1280X. it is a vlf, runs at approx 2 and a bit khz will not get much depth in mineralised ground and does not like black sand beaches. I never found any target deeper that a few inches on our beaches in wet sand. The detector is better suited to freshwater conditions where performance is better but not wonderfull. So if you want an inexspensive freshwater machine then give it a try but donot expect it to match the high end machines.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions